The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 June 2013, 03:45 AM   #1
DJsub

Watch: all of them...
In praise of the Aquanaut, a review

Hi all,
Recently I've been seeing a renewed interest in the Aquanaut so I thought I would post a quick review.

I've worn my 5165 on a tropical strap nearly every day at the office for more than three years. During that time it has accumulated the expected scuffs, swirls and minor scratches, particularly on the bezel and clasp. Nothing I can't live with and none that distract from the overall good looks of this reference. The case is a well thought-out design with crown protectors and graceful lugs. It has just the right amount of contrast between polished and brushed surfaces.

Because the watch is on the tropical strap it is supremely light. Some might consider its lightweight and thinness as a drawback, but for me it is perfect. The tropical strap merges seamlessly into the case making it look unique to most other watches. Whatever material it is made from, some type of rubber I suspect, it is suitable for all types of weather. If you sweat a lot in the summer this strap is fantastic. After three years it shows no signs of wear or cracking. The clasp has never failed me, is easy to use and is imperceptible when on my wrist.

The dial is an unusual anthracite color that shifts from dark gray to an almost deep chocolate brown depending on the light. The lume is great both on the hour markers and the Arabic numerals. It holds a glow reasonably well throughout the night.

The movement since new has been reliable, albeit a little fast each day to the tune of about 6 seconds. The display back provides a window to the soul of this watch. Each part is beautifully finished and is a joy to stare at. Mine has the Geneva seal while newer versions of the 324c movement have the PP seal stamped inside.

I wear this watch nearly everyday to the office and often on weekends. It's gotten little notice from people, which is the way I like it. I own this for my pleasure, not attention. I often choose to wear it out at night when my Sub or Speedmaster might get the "wrong" kind of attention, even though these cost far less.

I've worn the Aquanaut swimming, in the shower, puttering around the house and during general activities. I view the Aquanaut as a sporty watch, not a sports or tool watch. I do not wear it if I expect high impact jolts such as playing golf, tennis or mountain biking. The watch could probably take the abuse, but I see no reason to subject it to extreme use. There are more appropriate and cheaper watches for those purposes.

If I were to be asked, I would offer only two improvements to this reference (& the 5167): I would like a dab of lume at the end of the second-hand so I can time events in the dark and I would like to be able to micro-adjust the strap to compensate for changes in humidity.

Taken all together, this is one of my favorite watches. It is not at all generic in looks. The case, dial and strap make for a unique overall appearance. I can instantly recognize one when I see it on someone's wrist. The 38mm case is perfect for my smallish wrist. Had the 5165 not been available when I bought it I would probably be just as happy with the current larger 5167 at 40mm, but I'm glad I had the choice and I have no regrets about it's size.

In the past, I have owned five Patek dress watches and have sold them all. They were all fantastic but being dress watches their versatility was limited for my purposes (admittedly, I do have a long-standing craving for the PP 5296g with sector dial, but that is a different story). The Aquanaut is the only Patek I own and I will never part with it. One day it will be passed down to one of my sons, and that is the highest praise I can give to any watch.

Thanks for looking
(sorry for no pictures. Other have taken some that are far better than I ever could)
DJsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 03:49 AM   #2
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP PC, Nautilus!
Great review. It is amazing that your rubber strap shows no sign of wear and tear after three years of almost daily use! That's fantastic.
vc_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 03:52 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Cheers!
As an aquanaut owner, i agree, it is a keeper.... No doubt
Old 2 June 2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Great review. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 05:43 AM   #5
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
Thanks or the review, and yes it's a great watch!
Old 2 June 2013, 05:54 AM   #6
kxux
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
Couldn't agree more. Aquanaut is outstanding reference. Enjoying mine quite a bit.

Though for next few days I will sport Hamilton as I travel to places where I do not feel comfortable wearing any watch worth more than few hundred bucks.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Fiddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP PAM ROLEX
Thank you!
Old 2 June 2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Good review.

Love my 5167 too, and agree with you that an adjustable strap would be a nice addition. Seems as though it would be easy to do, with a longer decorative deployment clasp. The strap already has the incremental notches you'd need.

I'm sure PP will read this and get right on it.
Old 2 June 2013, 07:30 AM   #9
R.J.
"TRF" Member

Watch: milgaus gv
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsub View Post
Hi all,
Recently I've been seeing a renewed interest in the Aquanaut so I thought I would post a quick review.

I've worn my 5165 on a tropical strap nearly every day at the office for more than three years. During that time it has accumulated the expected scuffs, swirls and minor scratches, particularly on the bezel and clasp. Nothing I can't live with and none that distract from the overall good looks of this reference. The case is a well thought-out design with crown protectors and graceful lugs. It has just the right amount of contrast between polished and brushed surfaces.

Because the watch is on the tropical strap it is supremely light. Some might consider its lightweight and thinness as a drawback, but for me it is perfect. The tropical strap merges seamlessly into the case making it look unique to most other watches. Whatever material it is made from, some type of rubber I suspect, it is suitable for all types of weather. If you sweat a lot in the summer this strap is fantastic. After three years it shows no signs of wear or cracking. The clasp has never failed me, is easy to use and is imperceptible when on my wrist.

The dial is an unusual anthracite color that shifts from dark gray to an almost deep chocolate brown depending on the light. The lume is great both on the hour markers and the Arabic numerals. It holds a glow reasonably well throughout the night.

The movement since new has been reliable, albeit a little fast each day to the tune of about 6 seconds. The display back provides a window to the soul of this watch. Each part is beautifully finished and is a joy to stare at. Mine has the Geneva seal while newer versions of the 324c movement have the PP seal stamped inside.

I wear this watch nearly everyday to the office and often on weekends. It's gotten little notice from people, which is the way I like it. I own this for my pleasure, not attention. I often choose to wear it out at night when my Sub or Speedmaster might get the "wrong" kind of attention, even though these cost far less.

I've worn the Aquanaut swimming, in the shower, puttering around the house and during general activities. I view the Aquanaut as a sporty watch, not a sports or tool watch. I do not wear it if I expect high impact jolts such as playing golf, tennis or mountain biking. The watch could probably take the abuse, but I see no reason to subject it to extreme use. There are more appropriate and cheaper watches for those purposes.

If I were to be asked, I would offer only two improvements to this reference (& the 5167): I would like a dab of lume at the end of the second-hand so I can time events in the dark and I would like to be able to micro-adjust the strap to compensate for changes in humidity.

Taken all together, this is one of my favorite watches. It is not at all generic in looks. The case, dial and strap make for a unique overall appearance. I can instantly recognize one when I see it on someone's wrist. The 38mm case is perfect for my smallish wrist. Had the 5165 not been available when I bought it I would probably be just as happy with the current larger 5167 at 40mm, but I'm glad I had the choice and I have no regrets about it's size.

In the past, I have owned five Patek dress watches and have sold them all. They were all fantastic but being dress watches their versatility was limited for my purposes (admittedly, I do have a long-standing craving for the PP 5296g with sector dial, but that is a different story). The Aquanaut is the only Patek I own and I will never part with it. One day it will be passed down to one of my sons, and that is the highest praise I can give to any watch.

Thanks for looking
(sorry for no pictures. Other have taken some that are far better than I ever could)
Thanks for the great thread. Very enjoyable and insightful.
Old 2 June 2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

I love the aquanaut. Thanks for sharing.
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2013, 12:15 AM   #11
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Great review. I love mine as well.

Regarding yours gaining 6. Seconds a day......have you tried storing it at night on its side (crown up)? Mine loses a few seconds overnight in that position. Conversely, it gains a few seconds when stored face down. Between the two positions, I am able to self-regulate it to the second. Just a suggestion.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2013, 12:26 AM   #12
Toony
"TRF" Member

Great review. I wear mine everyday as well. I love that most people don't what it is, but those who do have a great appreciation for it (as is the case with most Patek's). As said in the review "I own this for my pleasure, not attention".
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2013, 12:40 AM   #13
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
The interesting thing is even people who don't know what it is will notice it and ask to see it in my experience although maybe that is because I'm known around the office for my ever rotating watch collection.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2013, 01:03 AM   #14
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Great review. Thanks for doing it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 3 June 2013, 01:05 AM   #15
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Great review. The 5167 is definitely on my wish list.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2013, 04:53 AM   #16
mfer
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. Good read.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 09:50 PM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsub View Post
If you sweat a lot in the summer this strap is fantastic.

Could you elaborate please? I do not like rubber straps, I have had two and gotten rid of both. I find when I sweat with a rubber strap, the moisture never leaves my wrist, the watch feels hot, the watch slides around . . . I am not sure how something that does not have any gaps or breathe could feel comfortable in summer heat and humidity.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 10:30 PM   #18
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

thanks for the post!

if you have a moment, i would be interested to see what three year's worth of marks on the bezel looks like.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5165 , 5167 , aquanaut , patek philippe