The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2019, 08:36 AM   #1
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Europe travel - one more thing to know

My travel back to France was quite an experience. My flight from Philly to Dublin delayed by 10 hours and the whole family slept overnight at the airport. They offered us hotel around 1 am to be back to airport for 7am fligh, we opted out and choose to stay. That delay created such a headache as my flight out of Dublin was not updated to the next day and hear this, I SPENT 2H:39MINUTES on a single phone call to address this issue. This is of course among other calls to American Airlines, British airways and aer Lingus.
Finally boarded and landed in Dublin. before I left the airport to the hotel that I paid for myself, stopped to recheck my reservation for tomorrow. And of course we spent another 45 minutes to learn something new to me at least. My kids are not allowed to France because US passports expires in 2 months.. And if we don’t make last segment my whole trip including returns are cancelled.
Another sleepless night, my parents and the rest of my family are super upset. This is going to a very expansive trip, booking last minute tickets from Dublin back home is just like buying a new Jubikee BLRO from DavisSW

We showed up at the airport next morning and asked Aer lingus to call for an exception from French Authority. We provided family info, we even told them are automatically European as well and in a way they should be granted entry. It was just a pointless paperwork exercise. An approval was acquired after an hour of questioning and spoof feeding information .
Finally made it. This was quite an experience!
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 09:25 AM   #2
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Sorry for such a crappy experience, but there's not a travel site anywhere that doesn't recommend having at least 6 months left on a passport prior to its expiration date.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:18 PM   #3
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Dang, this just made me check my passport in advance of an October trip. Better get it renewed as I will only have 5.5 months left.

Sorry for the headaches but thanks for the post.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

You can renew your passport at any time before expiration, especially if there’s a name change or your travel plans have you busy that far out. Spring/Summer renewals are the busiest times so plan on 8 weeks unless you use expedited option ( 3 weeks ) at a more substantial cost.

If your running out of passport (visa) pages, you will need to apply for a passport renewal as soon as possible. Children ( 15 and under ) can’t renew and a new passport process is statrted over. So you have to really keep on top of that.

You can always order a bigger, 52-page passport (as opposed to the standard 28-page one) free of charge when you're applying for the FIRST time or renewing an EXPIRED one. You use to be able to to add extra pages on a renewal but not any more.

If you're traveling soon ( even up to 24-hours from your trip, then run to your nearest regional passport agency. The expediting fee at the National Passport Center is an extra $60 (plus the regular $135 application fee if you're getting a new passport or $110 if you're renewing an expired one). Normally they require appointments, but many take walk-ins during certain parts of the day (these policies aren't advertised NORMALLY, call the Passport Information Center or your agency directly to ask). You want to get face-to-face interaction with a passport agent that will really help you out if you need to get a passport ASAP provided you bring proof of your trip.

I wouldn’t use an expedited passport company as the cost really shoots up and sometimes they drop the ball. You can do the same thing without the extra cost in person. My pages are down to 2 so I’m sending mine next month which expires in October

1-877-487-2778 - Passport Information Center for questions

Find out what forms of payment the facility accepts. Remember to bring the following:

Unsigned application form
Evidence of U.S. citizenship
Photo identification
Passport photo
Passport fees
Current passport or expired passport

There are a number of reasons why the U.S. Department of State can deny your U.S. Passport application or renewal, including but not limited to the following -

If you owe child support
If a previous passport was revoked
If you get an IRS taxpayer notice in the mail about having a large overdue unpaid tax debt
Minors involved in custody disputes

You can use the website to track your progress on new passports, renewal or other. They’ll mail your passport to your address and return the old one although they might arrive at different times
You’ll have a new passport number FYI

Old 26 March 2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
that was some hell of a close call man! sorry you had such a bad experience and having to deal with such an issue over the phone too, you must've been pulling your hair out.

i remember i had like 3-4 months left in december i think or start of jan going to tokyo and i called up singapore airlines they said they dont care but if Japan catches you its your problem...

Managed to get my passport back to uk, renewed and back to me in 2 weeks ready for tokyo,

always double check expiration dates on passports guys !
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:08 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i always renew 1 year prior... it makes it hard with the kids passports because they are only good for 5 years anyway.

FWIW you can get a passport in 24 hours if you need it
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:11 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoshop View Post

We showed up at the airport next morning and asked Aer lingus to call for an exception from French Authority. We provided family info, we even told them are automatically European as well and in a way they should be granted entry. It was just a pointless paperwork exercise. An approval was acquired after an hour of questioning and spoof feeding information .
Finally made it. This was quite an experience!
keep in mind if you are eligible for a second citizenship then also get the appropriate passport. Keep in mind though that dual passport holders are required to enter and leave the US on their US passport. So the french authorities would only have the US passport details as far as what the airline uses to clear you to fly.

So as far as airline passort details you would need to go US to Dublin on US passport> Dublin to France on a French Passport> france to US on US passport if you wanted the french to disregard a US passport that is expiring soon. Otherwise if the airline is doing their job they would deny you boarding as its on them if they let someone fly who then won't be admitted into the country because of improper documents.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Sorry for such a crappy experience, but there's not a travel site anywhere that doesn't recommend having at least 6 months left on a passport prior to its expiration date.
Yep.....

Anyway, sorry for the stress, hope the rest of your trip was better!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:40 PM   #9
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Now I know, and yes, you are right it is all over the internet and all sites recommend 6 months to a year. But it never crossed my mind.. But, American Airlines failed to point that out to me. If it wasn’t for the second flight delay I would transfer directly out of Dublin without need to reissue tickets.
Whatever happened now is water under the bridge and glad all behind us now. But thought something to share.
Old 26 March 2019, 08:39 PM   #10
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Well, if you flip this situation (from the EU to US) it won’t be any easier.
Old 26 March 2019, 09:52 PM   #11
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

If your an American Citizen with your family you shouldn’t have a massive issue returning back to the United States. You’ll get most likely extra screening and some paper work to complete through Customs and Boarder Control. They won’t not except a US citizen in most cases. It sounds like you have no expired passports though, just ones that are close to expiring. The airlines might be the problem if anything. Shocking they didn’t catch this you prior at your originating US airport. It’s not the first time this has happened to someone. Airlines have let people fly with this problem before. Just be patient and hopefully you won’t be inconvenienced - no one is looking to keep you and your family detained any longer then it’s necessary.

Good luck and hopefully you have a few copies of any paper work and have heeded any airline protocols that you should have looked into while abroad concerning this. I would’ve gone to a US Embassy/Consulate immediately since part of their scope is helping Americans in a case like this.

Old 27 March 2019, 03:17 AM   #12
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Feels good to be able to order a new passport online anytime and have it in less than a week. Expedited in a few days (online application for a little extra cost), and quickly in about an hour (this at the airport police)
Old 27 March 2019, 08:08 AM   #13
synequano
Banned

Man you’re lucky...my passport is only valid for 5 years and I have to renew around 6 months before the expiration date

Probably that’s the downside of living in a third world country....
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 09:41 PM   #14
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Only in the US , you could have a passport issued same day that is awesome.
It will cost a bit extra, you will need to be at the federal building with all paper and travel documents on hand
I really love this option. It just speaks for the spirit of simplicity and how everything could be done. Good luck having this done anywhere else in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk