The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2019, 03:19 PM   #1
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
What year was my (new) Rolex made?

I just bought a DJ 36 new from my AD. Is there any way to tell the date it was manufactured, from the serial number or that 5 digit number below the model number? I looked at the article on serial numbers in the "Rolex Reference Library" section here, but basically it says after 2010 the serial numbers are random. I'm just curious if it's a 2019 or 2018 or even 2017 manufacture (not that it matters, of course).

Also, does anyone know what that other number on the warranty card is? There's the Serial Number XXXXXXXX, the Model Number 116200, the mystery number 72600, then the dial color WHITE.

What's the Mystery Number?

Thanks for any info or pointers.

-Dan
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

72600 not a mystery number, it's the bracelet code.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:19 PM   #3
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

The date on your warranty card is the closest you'll get.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:33 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
If you bought it new you will now have to use the date on the receipt.

The clasp code is for the clasp not the watch.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:51 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

date of sale is the closest you can get, and that can be wildly different than date of production.

I can walk into a london AD today and find a watch discontinued two years ago but the date of sale would be today. Could have been made 5 years ago considering its still sitting there.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 11:57 PM   #6
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Take a look here: Bob's Watches Serial Number Lookup
Might not be any help beyond what you've already looked at, but ya never know.
Old 27 March 2019, 12:57 AM   #7
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
The use of random serial numbers exists in order to prevent individuals from telling which years the watch was manufactured. I’m sure there could’ve been delays or perhaps an extend period of time between when the watch is manufactured vs the delivery date. Only Rolex knows the true date...

Rolex watches move very quickly nowadays, a while back it isn’t unheard of seeing a watch sit for a year if not more if it wasn’t a popular model. They don’t want an individual questioning buying e.g a 2008/2009 model in 2010 (or whatever the year is)
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 02:21 AM   #8
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Thanks everyone. I guess it's a 2019, then! Didn't know about he clasp code, thanks for that info.

-Dan
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 02:37 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
The use of random serial numbers exists in order to prevent individuals from telling which years the watch was manufactured. I’m sure there could’ve been delays or perhaps an extend period of time between when the watch is manufactured vs the delivery date. Only Rolex knows the true date...

Rolex watches move very quickly nowadays, a while back it isn’t unheard of seeing a watch sit for a year if not more if it wasn’t a popular model. They don’t want an individual questioning buying e.g a 2008/2009 model in 2010 (or whatever the year is)
This simply is not true Rolex started the single letter 6 numbers in 1987 and over those years made countless millions of watches they just ran out of single letter combinations hence the 8 digit randoms.Plus the fact you could never tell the exact date that any Rolex watch was made by any internet chart.All these charts can give you is a approx date between X&Y years when the case or clasp was stamped and not 100% when it was made.And this worked the best on fast selling SS watches and many serials over lapped a year or so.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote