The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2018, 12:11 PM   #1
jlwillia
"TRF" Member

Recommendations for Vintage Speedmaster Pro Service

I’ve recently acquired a birth year (1985) Speedy Pro Moonwatch. It’s a 145.022 with a 861 movement. Anyway, I’m thinking I will need to send it in for a restoration in the next few months / years. It’s working pretty well and keeping decent time (I still need to run more tests, but the seller says it’s about -15 seconds per day, which I’m OK with in the short term.

Anyway, the main reason for a service in the next few months or years is having it all thoroughly cleaned, oiled, and the gaskets replaced. I don’t want any of the dial or hands replaced. I’m much more familiar with Rolex service and they can be stubborn with vintage pieces and essentially replace certain parts without the owner necessarily wanting it done. Is this also a known occurrence with official Omega service centers?

I’m looking for service recommendations of someone who will clean, oil, and replace gaskets, but leave everything else as original as possible.

Thanks in advance!
jlwillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:25 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
An Omega Service Center would likely honor your requests. Many Omega owners prefer the service center in Seattle, and if you want Seattle to do the work then you can either drop your watch off at any Omega Boutique (the Seattle center does all Boutique services) or phone the toll-free number for Customer Service on Omega's site and request that they provide a shipping label for the center in Seattle. If you choose to have an Omega center do the work, then I strongly recommend that you phone them for the label and send it yourself because Omega will then email you with login credentials to their on-line system allowing you to track your watch's progress through the steps of service (pretty cool!).

I believe they get $750 for the service you describe. You can find details, including cost of the service, on Omega's web site here:https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/c...mplete-service

For this price, you'll probably get back an impressively full baggie of parts that were replaced in the movement (more so than most other providers would have replaced). Depending on the condition of the case, it may not be a bad idea to let them restore its finish because they're probably better at it than most other providers.

Another great provider (who also happens to be in Seattle) is Nesbit's Fine Watch Service. Before Omega took all of its factory service in-house around 2007 or so, Nesbit's and a few other really good independents served as agents for factory-authorized service, including all warranty service. Nesbit's should probably be considered the equivalent of having the work done by Omega (in fact, one of the Nesbit siblings runs Omega's center in Seattle). Pricing is equal to Omega's pricing. Quality is superb, turn-times are short, and you'll get nice personal contact with Jan Nesbit when you contact them. Nesbit's will honor your requests, and I can recommend them with confidence.

Another option is RGM in Lancaster, PA. I had a vintage Speedmaster with Caliber 321 restored there, and it went all right. They're capable, and they will honor your requests. I don't know pricing (my watch was restored over ten years ago).
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote