The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 June 2017, 11:10 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

A New Correlation on Opioid Addiction

Some of you may have already read (or heard) about these findings. Medical researchers at Dartmouth and the University of Michigan have found that there is a direct connection between opioid addiction and depression/anxiety disorders. While the total % may appear small (in certain respects), 19% of the 3.8M annually prescribed vicodin, percoset et al tend to develop addiction issues based on their interpretation of pain. In other words, while a 'normal' person might rate their pain level as a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10, someone with depression/anxiety issues can oftentimes call it an 8.

Since refills are often prescribed by a primary care physician, the intended use can create an ongoing habit that goes unchecked. The researchers are recommending that some sort of psychological examination accompany any Rx for opioid-based painkillers.

I came across the article on page A14 of today's SF Chronicle just before tossing it and chances are, the report has been conveyed online.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I try to interpret my 8 as a 4 or 5. Keeps me out of the doctors office.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:32 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I have been on and off opioids for chronic pain and they do make you hypersensitive to pain over time. I know there is opioid abuse in the US, but it is reaching the level of hysteria. Like the sin of alcohol that led to prohibition.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I give up.

I'm joining the Paul, Jocke padded room posse.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

The problem with most drugs is they have become easy to get in terms of reason for subscribing them. Doctors like to "throw drugs" at people. Kinda the same way a mechanic would throw money or parts at cars. Instead of finding the problem and fixing it, they just treat the symptom. This turns this drugs into a very profitable business and of course it just snowballs.

I learned this after having problems with heartburn. I'm 33. Began having bad heartburn at night and could not lay in bed. Then one day it was painful to swallow anything, even water. Everyone recommended an antacid(treat the symptom). I decided to do some research before taking a "pill." Found out that my problem was not too much acid, but low acid and too many carbs in my diet. Cut carbs way down, changed other parts of my diet. A few days after this change ALL SYMPTOMS were gone. I lost about 10 pounds and have stayed there(clothes were getting tight leading up to problems). If I splurge on my carbs again, the symptoms return, but I quickly correct it. Drugs used=ZERO
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:59 PM   #6
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I've been prescribed opioids for kidney stone pain in the past. They are effective. For me they do kind of relax me and def take away the pain. Anything drug/alcohol can be abused or become addictive over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

CARA

Cara Therapeutics (CARA) Jumped 12.2 % today
and is ready to go ballistic

5.00 to 26.00 in a year -- here's your grail watch money. Bought at 5, profits out at 15 and still going
Old 28 June 2017, 04:17 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Opoids for depression/anxiety??! You only get opium based medicine here when you are screaming out in pain.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:27 PM   #9
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Opoids for depression/anxiety??! You only get opium based medicine here when you are screaming out in pain.
You misread the opening thread Bas. It pertains to those with depression/anxiety issues being prescribed opioids for pain management. According to the researchers, someone with a depression/anxiety disorder might have a lower pain threshold based on their mental state and interpretation of the actual pain. This can lead to a potential addiction as opioids in addition to being painkillers also provide a tranquilizing effect as well.

As aforementioned, the study recommends that physicians conduct some sort of psychological evaluation prior to prescribing or extending prescriptions for opioids.
Old 28 June 2017, 05:36 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
You misread the opening thread Bas. It pertains to those with depression/anxiety issues being prescribed opioids for pain management.
Right, I see.

There should be some kind of screening before those are prescribed then, you can't prevent all addictions but I'm sure the number of addicted people can be lowered significantly.
Old 28 June 2017, 07:31 PM   #11
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Every Doctor I know will screen against this. None of my buddies hand out those scrippies easy.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 07:47 PM   #12
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
i give up.

I'm joining the paul, jocke padded room posse.

4!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 08:14 PM   #13
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
At one stage in my working life I was a 'Disability Counsellor' for the government Social Security system. I don't think I saw anyone with severe chronic pain who wasn't depressed. I've had very temporary severe pain and I was certainly depressed.
I think you could say that they were all "addicted" to various sorts of pain medication.
When I had temporary severe pain I would 'hang-out' for my next dose.
Until we can stick a set of sensors on someone's head and get a standardised, objective measure of how much pain they are feeling, assessment of someone else's pain is a pretty inexact science.
I'm not sure trying to use Psychs as a check on MDs would be very productive. The answer is responsible MDs not more layers of bureaucracy.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 08:35 PM   #14
MonBK
Banned

While we are on the subject.

When I wake up in the afternoon with a hangover I usually take 2 Advil and a Bloody Mary.

If that doesn't help I take another Bloody Mary and a 3rd. if needed.

My serious question is, do you think I could be addicted to Advil?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 08:36 PM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

When I wake up in the afternoon with a hangover I usually take 2 Advil and a Bloody Mary.

You're addicted to tomato juice, which is a healthy drink
Old 28 June 2017, 08:40 PM   #16
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
You're addicted to tomato juice, which is a healthy drink
That's good to know.
Old 28 June 2017, 08:40 PM   #17
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Try to stop drinking, at least before getting to the hangover stage
If you still need advil then the answer would probably be yes
Cheers!
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 08:40 PM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

That much Advil can't be good for you.
Old 28 June 2017, 08:42 PM   #19
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Try to stop drinking, at least before getting to the hangover stage
If you still need advil then the answer would probably be yes
Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll stop the Advil.
Old 28 June 2017, 11:20 PM   #20
Canefan1
Banned

^^
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:54 AM   #21
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
Quote:
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:53 AM   #22
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Most people with mental disorders are more prone to addiction anyway. Can be alcohol, nicotine or opioids. It's a way of self medicating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:07 AM   #23
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Interesting. I would have assumed people with mental disorders would be less prone to pain as they have other things going on in their mind. Someone with a clear head could concentrate more on being in pain..
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 08:01 AM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Before yes, I broke my knee in 9 pieces, had 6 very large screws and a huge metal plate going through the top part of the tibia which was whole, and attched beneath the broken parts, excruciating pain, so much that I didn't sleep for 6 days, on the 6th day I yelled like a mad man for them to give me something, and they just filled me up with things to calm down and sleeping pills, was in gas still in pain, but the real pain seemed to have a hard time reaching the brain... to be continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Every Doctor I know will screen against this. None of my buddies hand out those scrippies easy.
Continued... but the last 10 years I twice got a nerve stuck or compressed in the spine, which lead each time to huge pains, first time in the leg, second in the arm and shoulder, second time was way worse than first, same as the operation, pain was 24/7, maybe a little less painful but not far behind, each time after 10 days of horrible pain, I was given morphine sulfate, works great on the pain, only problem is that taking it for 3 and 4 months, I had to continue 3 months more and slowly decrease to get to zero, but since 20 years in France they declared one of their goals, to stop or lower a patient's pain to tolerable levels, before that they gave opiates almost only to people with cancer or other thibgs of the sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Exactly, a girlfriend's mother in Odessa had 3 drug stores, she knew I liked to party and asked me what I was taking for the hangover, I told her the usual things against headaches and pain, she told me it was very dangerous, for many different reasons, gave me tablets made from plants, but they were so big and hard to swallow, plus headache stayed for 2 hours instead, that I quickly went back to Advil and co...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 10:17 AM   #25
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Take the Advil before you go to bed. You won't wake up with a hangover
Old 29 June 2017, 10:53 AM   #26
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Take the Advil before you go to bed. You won't wake up with a hangover
Careful... analgesics, NSAIDS, and alcohol can be really tough on the stomach.
Old 29 June 2017, 11:00 AM   #27
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Since 2 Advils (ibuprofen) /400 mg every 6 hours is the maximum recommended dosage, you're probably OK (as long as it isn't habitual). If an individual has any gastrointestinal issues, the extended use of Advil can sometimes exacerbate stomach bleeding which is why most ulcer patients aren't prescribed it. On the other hand, the extended use of Tylenol (acetaminophen) can lead to liver damage. Most pharmaceutical opioids like Vicodin are usually a blend of opioid and acetaminophen (i.e. 5-10 mg Vicodin + 300-400 mg Tylenol thus anyone trying to 'max-out' or trip on the opioid content is also ingesting far too much acetaminophen in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
...I quickly went back to Advil and co...
Advil is also my go-to temporary painkiller as it 'localizes' the source of pain rather than numbing receptors in the brain. I've tried/used Vicodin (5/300) but it doesn't seem to work as well.

Individual physiologies and brain chemistries respond differently which makes any Rx a tricky one at best.
Old 29 June 2017, 03:31 PM   #28
SearChart
TechXpert

Ibuprofen is quite bad for the cardiovascular system, I wouldn't use it that much. Let alone use it with alcohol.
Old 29 June 2017, 07:38 PM   #29
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
At one stage in my working life I was a 'Disability Counsellor' for the government Social Security system. I don't think I saw anyone with severe chronic pain who wasn't depressed. I've had very temporary severe pain and I was certainly depressed.
I think you could say that they were all "addicted" to various sorts of pain medication.
When I had temporary severe pain I would 'hang-out' for my next dose.
Until we can stick a set of sensors on someone's head and get a standardised, objective measure of how much pain they are feeling, assessment of someone else's pain is a pretty inexact science.
I'm not sure trying to use Psychs as a check on MDs would be very productive. The answer is responsible MDs not more layers of bureaucracy.

Most Psychs have bigger problems than the patients. I've met more than a few who self prescribe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 01:41 AM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Ibuprofen is quite bad for the cardiovascular system, I wouldn't use it that much. Let alone use it with alcohol.
+1

mon you need to just drink a large coconut water before you go to bed. It's magic. You may wake up drunk but dehydrated (which most people call a hangover) you will not!
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote