The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2017, 10:26 AM   #1
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
TSA Pre Check / global entry

I recvd the card a while back and since travelled about 5 times domestically.

Of those 5 times, the TSA pre check was only applied once to the ticket. I have confirmed that the number was added at the time of booking but when I get to the airport, it is never guaranteed that the boarding pass will have the number printed. As such, here is am on line with kids, bags and unnecessary issues when the reason why I applied for it was the avoid long lines.

What do you all do?

Happy travels.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:40 AM   #2
todd.hepburn
"TRF" Member

Do you check in online? They can often add it at the desk for you. I don't take my shoes off like a pleb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
todd.hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I have TSA pre check and I enter the number at the time of reservation. I have never not had my boarding pass flagged for pre-check and I fly a dozen or more times per year.

I do have my TSA number written on my passport so that I can show the ticket agent if the boarding pass is wrong, but, so far, it has not been.
Old 27 June 2017, 10:55 AM   #4
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Yup, book online & check-in online. Always make sure that my trusted traveler number/ID is in there.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:21 AM   #5
todd.hepburn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
Yup, book online & check-in online. Always make sure that my trusted traveler number/ID is in there.

And you have a profile with the airline? That's 100% critical or it never works. I know it's not guaranteed, but I've never not gotten it, and I take about 50 flights a year.
todd.hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:41 AM   #6
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona

When you book your ticket, all airlines that I know of have a place to enter your trusted traveler number. You can add it to your profile so it's always there.

If you don't save that information or enter it wash time, you're solely relying on the airline to give your precheck

One a side note, unless your kids also have precheck, you're stuck in the same like as them--- unless you ditch them
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Make sure your number is entered correctly. I had an issue where TSA gave me the wrong number. Every time I called to get it resolved, nobody knew what the problem was. Finally figured it out, but what a pain. It was worse than dealing with the DMV.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:59 AM   #8
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
Yep......you must enter it in the profile page of your airlines FF program website.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:59 AM   #9
martinr
"TRF" Member

If you check in online make sure you are logged in to your airline frequent flier account and the KTN is in your profile, then pre check should then be on your emailed boarding pass.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:02 PM   #10
swils8610

Never has a problem with mine. Always check in online and use my phone or print boarding passes at home. Fly about 12 times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:04 PM   #11
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd.hepburn View Post
And you have a profile with the airline? That's 100% critical or it never works. I know it's not guaranteed, but I've never not gotten it, and I take about 50 flights a year.
Yes, I do.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:35 PM   #12
kulak
"TRF" Member

It's even more fun when you have a TSA pre boarding pass and get deselected. You look like a fool for picking the 'wrong line.'
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 01:16 PM   #13
Moving Chicane
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233 Dot Dial
AA had a system issue in which the numbers would be removed/forgotten from tickets - you flying AA? I thought they had resolved that problem.

Also, some airlines (e.g., UA) may drop it if you make a substantial change to a ticket after OLCI. If you have TSA Pre, and it's not on the electronic or printed BP once you get to the airport, stop and ask (even at luggage drop off) them to add it (just remember to bring your card with you for evidence).
41mm Starbucks
Moving Chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 08:29 PM   #14
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
I fly southwest a lot between NY and FL they have it in my profile and I always get it no problem.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:08 AM   #15
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
I recvd the card a while back and since travelled about 5 times domestically.

Of those 5 times, the TSA pre check was only applied once to the ticket. I have confirmed that the number was added at the time of booking but when I get to the airport, it is never guaranteed that the boarding pass will have the number printed. As such, here is am on line with kids, bags and unnecessary issues when the reason why I applied for it was the avoid long lines.

What do you all do?

Happy travels.

Do you have a suffix to your name like Jr?

I do and when I was interviewing with TSA, he told me to make sure to enter it as part of my last name instead of in the suffix box. Otherwise, he said. It would not register in the system as being the same person.

Whoever designed this aspect of it should be fired. It essentially changes my last name and will not match any other document or ID I have, including my passport
Old 28 June 2017, 02:17 AM   #16
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Added KT# to my profile with airlines and make sure it is there when booking on-line. No issues to date... Good Luck figuring this out as it really makes traveling faster when it works right.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:29 AM   #17
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC

When I book the ticket with the airline, I give them all the required info and the known traveler number. I do not have a suffix.

I ask to confirm that it will be added to my boarding pass and the answer is always yes.

When I get to the airport to print the boarding pass, it is never on it.

It's beyond frustrating that the information does not continue to the final system.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 03:10 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
When I book the ticket with the airline, I give them all the required info and the known traveler number. I do not have a suffix.

. . .
Make sure your name and DOB as you give it to the agent is exactly like that on your TSA papers.

If your boarding pass does not have it, it is likely the Airline. Have them re-issue a proper pass or find out why your KTN is not on their system. It has to be entered every time if you are not a member of their Frequent Flier Plan.
Old 29 June 2017, 03:44 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Sounds like your info isn't entered correctly on your FF profile assuming your airline participates in the program, BA doesn't so i never get it when flying with them.

That said, is is NOT guaranteed you will get it every time. I have it as well and 99% of the time when flying on a participating airline i get precheck, but they sometimes randomly don't give it to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Untitled.jpeg (35.2 KB, 193 views)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 12:44 AM   #20
ilguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy&SS Blk Sub
I agree with the other comments about adding the number to your frequent flyer profiles. Several years ago I got global entry for my entire family after missing a flight out of Chicago Midway due to the security line. In my experience, creating a profile for each child and adding the number was key. My kids have traveled on other airlines (without having a frequent flyer profile setup) with their sports teams and did not get PRE despite having entered the number at reservation time. Maybe a coincidence - maybe not....

One thing is for sure, once you have global entry/pre, you don't ever go back!
ilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 02:11 AM   #21
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I bet you're tripping an algorithm.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 02:17 AM   #22
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Contact the airline's customer service dept and have them review each family member's online profile. If they confirm that everyone's KTN is registered in their respective profile, then it's definitely an issue with the airline.

I have TSA Pre set up for all 4 of us, and to date we've always gotten it on our mobile and paper boarding passes.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 03:53 AM   #23
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

My Delta Skymiles has my Golbal Entry info and I haven't not gotten TSA precheck since signing up.

BTW, Global Entry is pure magic when coming back into the US from outside the country.
Walk off plane, scan card and finger at a Kiosk, had the printed kiosk voucher to waiting personnel, get bags waiting on carousel, walk passed final security personnel.
My last 3 times, this entire process from exiting the aircraft, walking to Customs, getting thru Customs, and out of Hartsfield ATL has taken between 5-7 minutes. No joke! Being business class with priority tags on my checked bags certainly helped a lot, but the process through Customs is pure bliss compared to how it used to work.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 06:41 AM   #24
kulak
"TRF" Member

I've never spent more than 5 min in regular ATL customs line. The kiosks help enough that I don't care to upgrade Pre to global entry.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 07:11 AM   #25
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak View Post
I've never spent more than 5 min in regular ATL customs line. The kiosks help enough that I don't care to upgrade Pre to global entry.
The APC kiosks do make things very quick and make a strong argument for not paying for global entry. It will be interesting to see how the two evolve.
Old 30 June 2017, 07:49 AM   #26
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
One a side note, unless your kids also have precheck, you're stuck in the same like as them--- unless you ditch them
That's not necessarily true all the time. There has been time where one of my kids' number didn't appear on the boarding pass. They let us thru the pre check line anyways. We specifically asked and the guard said kids can tag along. Adult is usually no if no pre check. However, my mother in law never had pre check and they let her thru once while travelling with us. Maybe she is senior?
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 05:04 PM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

personally of you fly a lot and your airport has CLEAR, that is the best option to use in conjunction with pecheck if you want to avoid lines. I have used it when i used to fly out of IAH all the time. As far as time savings its a better value, cost wise, than the cost of pre check if you are going to get one or the other. If you pay for both and have pecheck as part of already having global entry, it's super quick to get through airport on both ends of the trip.
Attached Images
File Type: png experience.png (130.5 KB, 94 views)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 06:11 PM   #28
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Only once since getting precheck I haven't had it, and I'm pretty sure it's because I forgot to add it at time of purchase
Old 30 June 2017, 10:22 PM   #29
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
That's not necessarily true all the time. There has been time where one of my kids' number didn't appear on the boarding pass. They let us thru the pre check line anyways. We specifically asked and the guard said kids can tag along. Adult is usually no if no pre check. However, my mother in law never had pre check and they let her thru once while travelling with us. Maybe she is senior?

Kids under 14 can go with you. An adult companion cannot. Most seniors over 75 get it issues by the airlines
Old 30 June 2017, 10:55 PM   #30
Chuckred
"TRF" Member

Clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
personally of you fly a lot and your airport has CLEAR, that is the best option to use in conjunction with pecheck if you want to avoid lines. I have used it when i used to fly out of IAH all the time. As far as time savings its a better value, cost wise, than the cost of pre check if you are going to get one or the other. If you pay for both and have pecheck as part of already having global entry, it's super quick to get through airport on both ends of the trip.
Agreed. Precheck plus clear is the ticket if you live by an airport that has it! My flights are all short, but with almost 100 this year, it has probably given me 20 hours back to my life!
Chuckred is offline   Reply With Quote