The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2017, 11:21 AM   #1
davidhong07

Risky to sell with PayPal?

Im currently selling xxxxx and saw some upsetting stories with PayPal and a potential buyer who wants to buy with PP... Is this still the case?

Last edited by Tools; 27 June 2017 at 01:16 PM..
davidhong07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhong07 View Post
Im currently selling an Omega Speedy Pro and saw some upsetting stories with PayPal and a potential buyer who wants to buy with PP... Is this still the case?
How do you feel about the potential buyer? Are you requiring PP or the buyer?
Old 27 June 2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Star Ferry
Banned

yes, there is a risk. If a buyer makes a claim against a seller, PayPal tends to side with the buyer (sans proper investigation)
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:25 PM   #4
armen34
"TRF" Member

Seller should do their due diligence when working with pp...
armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:39 PM   #5
davidhong07

The buyer seems legit, did some name dropping (previous deals). But was insistent on making the deal happen today via PP due to vacation and sending the watch out tomorrow. The whole pressure of making it happen asap kind of made me hesitant..
Old 27 June 2017, 12:40 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
The buyer seems legit, did some name dropping (previous deals). But was insistent on making the deal happen today via PP due to vacation and sending the watch out tomorrow. The whole pressure of making it happen asap kind of made me hesitant..
Hard pass. Sounds like a scam.
GB-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:43 PM   #7
davidhong07

I agree. Not in a particular rush to sell the watch, so I'll probably wait it out. Thanks for the prompt responses!
Old 27 June 2017, 01:26 PM   #8
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Hard pass. Sounds like a scam.

I certainly agree with Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 June 2017, 01:31 PM   #9
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
I agree. Not in a particular rush to sell the watch, so I'll probably wait it out. Thanks for the prompt responses!

Good call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 01:35 PM   #10
davidhong07

I gave him different options for transfer such as if he banks with two particular large financial institutions that can transfer between accounts. No response, might've spooked him when I called his bluff.
Old 27 June 2017, 01:58 PM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
pass. Even though I sometimes use it as a buyer, pass.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Anson880621
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
What's the story?

I didn't expirence buying or selling with PayPal
Anson880621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 03:11 PM   #13
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Unless it's to a well established member here, PayPal is a hard pass for me on high dollar sales. Fighting a credit card chargeback is a nightmare. With the proper precedure, you'll eventually get your money back, but it's an experience no one should have to deal with.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:16 PM   #14
PJ S
Banned

When it comes to protecting yourself against a potential con, you need to take plenty of photos of what you’re selling and the stages of it being packaged.
If the buyer, whom you can inform that you’ve done all this, decides to try it on, you’ve got yourself covered when he opens a complaint case.
It’s not rocket science, but does require a bit of effort rather than being blasé.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for buyers wanting to use Paypal, without one of them being to con the seller out of some of the money paid to him/her.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:48 PM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If in doubt use the PP gift option or a bank transfer.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:02 PM   #16
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Been using PP problem free for 17 years on eBay 100's of transactions it offers a layer of protection for the buyer and a certain amount of convenience for the seller. I found selling a watch on here is easier when your willing to accept PP if your not a high volume seller. The key as a seller is being totally honest about what your selling and adequately depict any flaws in photos. The key as a buyer don't buy anything where the pics suck ... blurry ect. and look for lots of positive feedback.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:49 AM   #17
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I had to fight a pp claim a few times for iphones. I used to buy the latest and sell the old one on to ROW but everytime there was at least some shenanigans on the buyers side. One told me the phone was stolen from the package before they got it. The other said something to the effect of it wasn't a real iphone. Both times took a few hours on my side to argue it through. I decidedly from that experience to just sell my Rolexes to bobswatches.com, and they have been good fast and easy.

I have sold a few cheaper watches on ebay which were better transactions than the phones but pp and ebay take noticable chunks of the gross.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:59 AM   #18
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
If you get a bad vibe, then don't do it.

That being said, I've been "that guy" before on legitimate deals...

Some banks make wires, transfers, etc a real hassle. PayPal is easy.
I travel a lot, and timing a shipping window just right can be important to making a deal work.
I don't keep 6 figures in a checking account, so a large purchase can end up being a multi-step process, transferring from investment accounts to checking accounts then sending a wire to a seller.

Just some thoughts to consider before assuming "fast" or "PayPal" automatically means it's a scam.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:51 AM   #19
davidhong07

I agree, I'm not sure if hes trying to purchase the watch to flip it but from the way he worded it, it sure sounded like it... Really looking for a buyer who's willing to keep the watch as stated in my post. But the pressure of wanting me to accept PP asap kinda turned me off. Also forgot to mention I told him to give me a call as I typically like to talk to buyers when finalizing deals, so we get a sense of assurance on both sides... He stated he was too busy. Another reason why it made me hesitant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
If you get a bad vibe, then don't do it.

That being said, I've been "that guy" before on legitimate deals...

Some banks make wires, transfers, etc a real hassle. PayPal is easy.
I travel a lot, and timing a shipping window just right can be important to making a deal work.
I don't keep 6 figures in a checking account, so a large purchase can end up being a multi-step process, transferring from investment accounts to checking accounts then sending a wire to a seller.

Just some thoughts to consider before assuming "fast" or "PayPal" automatically means it's a scam.
Old 28 June 2017, 01:56 AM   #20
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I use PayPal frequently to buy stuff. But in this instance, the vibe I'm getting is "run from this sale"
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:59 AM   #21
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
If he won't get on the phone, that's red flag enough for me. PayPal just becomes the icing on the cake.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:36 AM   #22
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
I agree, I'm not sure if hes trying to purchase the watch to flip it but from the way he worded it, it sure sounded like it... Really looking for a buyer who's willing to keep the watch as stated in my post. But the pressure of wanting me to accept PP asap kinda turned me off. Also forgot to mention I told him to give me a call as I typically like to talk to buyers when finalizing deals, so we get a sense of assurance on both sides... He stated he was too busy. Another reason why it made me hesitant.
1. Why do you worry about what the buyer does with it once he’s paid for it?
If he smashes it with a hammer or just wears it, it’s of no concern of yours.

2. Why all the preconditions?
Some buyers simply want to capture the moment with a purchase, that’s it.
They don’t want to become your newest best friend or undergo a suitability interview – it’s a bloody mass produced commodity, not the Crown Jewels or nuclear launch codes!

You sound like hard work – a sale should be (and can be) simple, easy, and straight forward, without a whole song and dance routine.
Old 28 June 2017, 02:50 AM   #23
davidhong07

In the end this is the internet. The buyer could indeed probably smash it with a hammer when initially telling me they'll wear it forever. You are correct it is their prerogative.

But as a seller I still need to do my due diligence to have recourse of selling a somewhat expensive commodity. "a sale should be (and can be) simple, easy, and straight forward without a whole song and dance routine." Sounds like all sales are done without research or contingencies.

I don't sell or trade watches as often as some folks do on TRF or other watch boards. Hence this post.. I like to research in this case the best method of payment, read anecdotal evidence from previous sellers and ultimately cover my end in the chance the sale goes awry such as charge backs via PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
1. Why do you worry about what the buyer does with it once he’s paid for it?
If he smashes it with a hammer or just wears it, it’s of no concern of yours.

2. Why all the preconditions?
Some buyers simply want to capture the moment with a purchase, that’s it.
They don’t want to become your newest best friend or undergo a suitability interview – it’s a bloody mass produced commodity, not the Crown Jewels or nuclear launch codes!

You sound like hard work – a sale should be (and can be) simple, easy, and straight forward without a whole song and dance routine.
Old 28 June 2017, 03:07 AM   #24
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
In the end this is the internet. The buyer could indeed probably smash it with a hammer when initially telling me they'll wear it forever. You are correct it is their prerogative.

But as a seller I still need to do my due diligence to have recourse of selling a somewhat expensive commodity. "a sale should be (and can be) simple, easy, and straight forward without a whole song and dance routine." Sounds like all sales are done without research or contingencies.

I don't sell or trade watches as often as some folks do on TRF or other watch boards. Hence this post.. I like to research in this case the best method of payment, read anecdotal evidence from previous sellers and ultimately cover my end in the chance the sale goes awry such as charge backs via PP.
If I was you I would only accept a wire, unless from an active TRF member.
Old 28 June 2017, 03:26 AM   #25
PJ S
Banned

^^
I’m all for due diligence by both parties involved, but the song and dance routine I referred to was going above and beyond that in order to take someone’s money from them.

As long as you’ve documented the process, and even better, have a 3rd party witness, you will have absolutely no hassles when it comes to taking payment via PP should the buyer decide to try it on afterwards.
You’re likely to put off any potential con artist when you reveal this is what you do to safeguard yourself, etc – a genuine buyer won’t care, so long as the item is genuine itself.
Ergo, no need for phone calls, eye colour, or inside leg measurements to complicate things – just a plain, simple, straight forward sale between two vested-interest parties.

If anything, it should be the buyer looking to have a contact number, since the seller will have both the item and the funds – hence why buyers legitimately want PP’s protection as a safety net, just in case they’ve been duped!
Old 28 June 2017, 03:46 AM   #26
davidhong07

I agree! But I think for this particular buyer I'll have to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^^
I’m all for due diligence by both parties involved, but the song and dance routine I referred to was going above and beyond that in order to take someone’s money from them.

As long as you’ve documented the process, and even better, have a 3rd party witness, you will have absolutely no hassles when it comes to taking payment via PP should the buyer decide to try it on afterwards.
You’re likely to put off any potential con artist when you reveal this is what you do to safeguard yourself, etc – a genuine buyer won’t care, so long as the item is genuine itself.
Ergo, no need for phone calls, eye colour, or inside leg measurements to complicate things – just a plain, simple, straight forward sale between two vested-interest parties.

If anything, it should be the buyer looking to have a contact number, since the seller will have both the item and the funds – hence why buyers legitimately want PP’s protection as a safety net, just in case they’ve been duped!