The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 August 2020, 12:17 AM   #1
JoshAW
"TRF" Member

1520 Movement Thoughts

I'm thinking about getting an Air King 5500. For people that have owned watches with the 1520 movement, what are your thoughts on it? How was your experience with it?
JoshAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 04:44 AM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

The 1520 is generally excellent. You see it in newer 5513's as well. It was the replacement for the slow beat 1530 non chronometer grade.

It's not the grade of movement that a 1570 is...but they run and time through the positions very well and the hardware is identical...all of the plates are the same as a 1570 and all of the wheels etc. The automatic portion is the same...all of the major parts interchange except the balance and balance cock.

It utilizes a slide regulator like the 1530 as opposed to being free sprung like the 1560 and 1570. The timing is done via moving a slide regulator with banking pins that the hairspring passes between. This is a tried and true system. The hairspring is flat rather than overcoil.

As good and advanced of a movement as it was...the lesser refinements don't really pose any issue and they run as well as anything else from the era generally.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:22 AM   #3
JoshAW
"TRF" Member

Great Review! Any thoughts regarding the movement's durability?
Old 7 August 2020, 07:47 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAW View Post
Great Review! Any thoughts regarding the movement's durability?
Most watchmakers with any tenure would tell you that the 15xx series is the best movement Rolex ever made. It's pretty darned bullet proof and like I said...99% of the parts interchange with the 1570...many with the 1560 and 1530...they made MILLIONS of these movements and there are TONS of parts and used bits everywhere...you won't have an issue with that watch in your lifetime provided it has not been monkeyed.
Old 7 August 2020, 09:20 AM   #5
JoshAW
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
Old 7 August 2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Not surprisingly, the 17-jewel version sometimes often develops issues with auto-winding.
Old 7 August 2020, 12:03 PM   #7
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I like working on the 15xx. It’s dead simple and overbuilt somewhat- everything is nice and solid. It’s a nice movement that runs well even when not perfect. A lot like the Seiko movements that run 30+ years without a service and still keep time.

One issue I’ve seen is the weight rubbing the plates. Axle, jewel or weight rivets causing the weight to foul on the plates, littering the watch with fragments. They usually still run but it’s a mess and can be tricky to get to the root cause.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 03:32 PM   #8
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Not surprisingly, the 17-jewel version sometimes often develops issues with auto-winding.
True but those are seemingly mostly found in presentation watches. For me compared to earlier non jeweled versions of autowinds...those run pretty well for a LONG time with neglect. They are hardened seats. The 620-645 were raw brass with steel pivots.

Pretty easily remedied with 2 bridges or jewels and Rolex jeweled every one that went through service that needed it afaik. If you want to upgrade the base movement it's 2 jewel settings and an escape wheel.
Old 7 August 2020, 08:01 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Most watchmakers with any tenure would tell you that the 15xx series is the best movement Rolex ever made. It's pretty darned bullet proof and like I said...99% of the parts interchange with the 1570...many with the 1560 and 1530...they made MILLIONS of these movements and there are TONS of parts and used bits everywhere...you won't have an issue with that watch in your lifetime provided it has not been monkeyed.
Have to agree a great well over engineered movement and agree one of the best around all brands.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:49 PM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
The 1520 is generally excellent. You see it in newer 5513's as well. It was the replacement for the slow beat 1530 non chronometer grade.

It's not the grade of movement that a 1570 is...but they run and time through the positions very well and the hardware is identical...all of the plates are the same as a 1570 and all of the wheels etc. The automatic portion is the same...all of the major parts interchange except the balance and balance cock.

It utilizes a slide regulator like the 1530 as opposed to being free sprung like the 1560 and 1570. The timing is done via moving a slide regulator with banking pins that the hairspring passes between. This is a tried and true system. The hairspring is flat rather than overcoil.

As good and advanced of a movement as it was...the lesser refinements don't really pose any issue and they run as well as anything else from the era generally.
Wow. So far above my level of knowledge.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote