The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 29 February 2020, 04:03 AM   #1
Eph
"TRF" Member

I'm looking to buy my first Rolex. Can you guys share your thoughts on this one?

I have a tendency to like "different" or "unique" watches, and I really love the classic style of the older Datejust models, so when I saw this watch I became interested: https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/mens-...id11822947.htm. I would definitely replace that band, by the way.

But before moving forward at all, I wanted to ask you guys a few questions:
1) Does it look over-polished? I don't know if it's just the angle or if it seems the lugs are too polished and the springbar is popping out.
2) It says this is a 1601, but there appears to be an engine-turned bezel. Does this mean it's not a 1601, or perhaps a 1601 with a non-original bezel? Or is there not enough info to answer that?
3) That blue dial appears to be custom. Does this kill all value on the watch? I'm going to call them and negotiate the price, and I'm unsure what it's worth in the market (which may help me determine how much I'd feel comfortable paying).

Anything else you guys can tell me about this watch that may not be apparent from the description? I'd be greatly appreciative!!

Thanks!
Eph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 05:04 AM   #2
watchnut100
SCUMBAG

It’s an early one with a newer dial in my opinion could be after market dial
watchnut100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 05:10 AM   #3
Eph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut100 View Post
It’s an early one with a newer dial in my opinion could be after market dial
Based on the numbering, I do think aftermarket or re-painted/re-finished. What does that mean as far as value and what I should factor into my offer?

Thanks!
Old 29 February 2020, 05:37 AM   #4
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Blue Dial looks aftermarket to me. Means Rolex wont service it
Printing on dial poor
No lume on dial, yet hands are lumed.

Suspect that crystal is also after market
To me, not worth it.
A
Old 29 February 2020, 06:08 AM   #5
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Printing on dial poor

To me, not worth it.
A
Adam, is it Rolex won't service it or they will service it but have to change out the current dial to a correct one?
Thanks.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 06:17 AM   #6
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Adam, is it Rolex won't service it or they will service it but have to change out the current dial to a correct one?
Thanks.
Hi
Yes, you are correct, they will request to service it only after you agree to them replacing the dial.
However, they wont return the old dial - as they consider it counterfeit.

A
Old 29 February 2020, 06:18 AM   #7
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Hi
Yes, you are correct, they will request to service it only after you agree to them replacing the dial.
However, they wont return the old dial - as they consider it counterfeit.

A
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 06:44 AM   #8
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph View Post
I have a tendency to like "different" or "unique" watches, and I really love the classic style of the older Datejust models, so when I saw this watch I became interested: https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/mens-...id11822947.htm. I would definitely replace that band, by the way.

But before moving forward at all, I wanted to ask you guys a few questions:
1) Does it look over-polished? I don't know if it's just the angle or if it seems the lugs are too polished and the springbar is popping out.
2) It says this is a 1601, but there appears to be an engine-turned bezel. Does this mean it's not a 1601, or perhaps a 1601 with a non-original bezel? Or is there not enough info to answer that?
3) That blue dial appears to be custom. Does this kill all value on the watch? I'm going to call them and negotiate the price, and I'm unsure what it's worth in the market (which may help me determine how much I'd feel comfortable paying).

Anything else you guys can tell me about this watch that may not be apparent from the description? I'd be greatly appreciative!!

Thanks!

Pass on this one. This is your first acquisition. Make it genuine, authentic, historically correct, and honest.

Buy from a great seller. These watches are common and you can buy from a great source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 06:45 AM   #9
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Pass on this one. This is your first acquisition. Make it genuine, authentic, historically correct, and honest.

Buy from a great seller. These watches are common and you can buy from a great source

And I should also note. I love DJs. So classic, honors to history, True to the brand

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 11:35 AM   #10
Eph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Printing on dial poor

To me, not worth it.
A
Thanks for the info!
When one calls a dial aftermarket, does that mean someone got a blank dial and printed it to look like a Rolex dial? Or an original dial that someone was re-painted/other work done?

Would you say at no price is this worth it? Or just at $3500? I suspect I can get another $1000 knocked off from the price.
Old 29 February 2020, 11:48 AM   #11
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph View Post
Thanks for the info!
When one calls a dial aftermarket, does that mean someone got a blank dial and printed it to look like a Rolex dial? Or an original dial that someone was re-painted/other work done?

Would you say at no price is this worth it? Or just at $3500? I suspect I can get another $1000 knocked off from the price.
Dial may have been the original ROLEX dial reworked or it could be a completely aftermarket made dial.
Only seeing the back, could I say.

Watch is surely worth something presuming movement is genuine $1000 to $1250 would be my offer based on selling, if you like it $1800 to $2000 is fair in my opinion
A
Old 29 February 2020, 12:58 PM   #12
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Looks like a refinish from here (coronet and indices look genuine).
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 07:29 AM   #13
jd1566
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster date c.1965
If you like Rolexes and DJ's in particular, take your time and buy the one you like, not the one you can afford.. Otherwise you'll end up selling (at a loss) to get the watch you wanted in the first place. As far as dial is concerned you can get DJ white dials pretty easily and cheaply here or on Ebay, and colour ones about double the price of the old style white ones.. so if you like the watch and dial, even if it isn't perfect, go for it. Most important is the movement inside.. check that like a hawk as it's easy to pick up something that isn't quite original.. :-)
jd1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 03:25 PM   #14
Peemaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1566 View Post
If you like Rolexes and DJ's in particular, take your time and buy the one you like, not the one you can afford..
Not sure if that is the wisest approach to watch buying. I mean I’d really like to own a vintage Paul Newman Daytona. 😃
Peemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 03:36 PM   #15
LoudBryan44
Banned

Watch: Hublot Aerofusion
You don't want aftermarket stuff wait for a nicer one to pop up, no need to rush

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
LoudBryan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 05:09 AM   #16
placek
Banned

Watch: Red Sea Dweller 43
I am going to go with the consensus here. Being your first purchase, I would keep looking.

However, based on your questions, it seems like you really like this watch. As with anything, if it works for you, go for it. If you keep it the rest of your life who cares. If you are a person who moves pieces around, you will have a hard time selling it for what you bought it for.
placek is offline   Reply With Quote