The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 24 July 2020, 06:41 PM   #1
5.39×10^−44 s
"TRF" Member

Watch: F.P.Journe Ca.1519
Why Isn't Verification Made Easier?

Hey,

So I'm new to the thread, but in my short time I've already come across several scammers, the majority of them from people who somehow took over well established accounts and posted FS ads (it's never FT or FTOS).

For me, it seemed very easy to catch them in a lie. I asked for a verification photo/video of the watch with a time stamped item or the hands moved to a specific time, and they couldn't send one. Case Closed.

I feel like it would be a very simple system for people to post pictures of the watch they're trying to sell with some sort of time stamp. A piece of paper with their username and date/time that's right near the time the post is made. How is that not the standard? Is there a specific reason this isn't done? If you use some basic lined paper and hand write your name each time it would be almost impossible for a scammer to photoshop and forging would mean they have the watch with them, which most don't. Also, wiring money... I get that it's practical for a $3,000 watch, but how are people buying $10,000+ watches not able to meet F2F with either a local dealer or fly to someone else. I get that people want a good deal, but common, if you're spending $15,000 on a Batman you should have the means to spend the $200 to fly over and meet the person. I get that it's not convenient, but neither is losing $15,000. Just the meere mention of F2F seems to shut down scammers, since they insist on wires.

As an example, I'm a diamond/gem manufacturer/wholesaler and I also do private jewelry on the side. A lot of my clients find me and have never met me. When they're spending $25k and even after having been referred by a few people have hesitations, I offer for them to come to me and I've never been given a "no" other than when they instead say they will fly me to them. This isn't some fancy movie like first class stuff, they hop in the cheapest flight they can and come on over. In their case, they're saving a few grand by going through me, and I get that in the watch world you're never just going to find a gray market Rolex at thousands less than what the market is trading, but it's still way over MSRP so the couple hundred bucks for surety of mind doesn't seem like an issue.

Just my 2 cents.
5.39×10^−44 s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 08:19 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Your 2 cents has been accepted.

With thanks.

I’m sure you will get it back soon.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...27&postcount=1

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote