The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 July 2020, 11:32 AM   #1
sefarrell
"TRF" Member

STOLEN: Rolex GMT Master

Hi All,
With a heavy heart I am finally willing to speak to others about having my watch stolen recently. While, there is a clear suspect in mind, there is nothing the local police could do without solid evidence. So, all I have at this time is a criminal police report.

A few years back I purchased a grail watch of mine, a birth year Rolex GMT Master, Pepsi bezel, E Serial, on an Oyster band.

Having been with me through a number of significant life events, the sentimental value of the watch greatly outweighs its monetary value. I am pessimistic about getting it back, but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions of how to bolster my chances of tracking it down.

As mentioned, I currently have a criminal police report including the serial number, description and misc marks and scratches. I peruse places where watches are likely to be sold, such as local pawn shops, craigslist, ebay and other online outlets. Are there any other avenues?

TIA
sefarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 11:37 AM   #2
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
So sorry to hear this. Make sure that the investigator puts the serial number into the NCIC database. I’m not sure if Rolex USA will take the information but possibly they would and flag it if it ever comes in for service.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 11:50 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Terrible to hear. I truly hope you can recover it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
These are the worst threads. I hope you get it back.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 12:42 PM   #5
GregoryZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I'm very sorry too! I know how you feel as I had my TT/DJ Oysterquartz stolen. It really hurts. We're all hurting with you. Hope you get it back soon.
GregoryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
What a bummer- so sorry to hear , Hope you get it back , james in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 01:25 PM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Call RUSA, ask to be connected with the manager who handles theft reports, and she will give you the steps to report your stolen GMT.

Once you have done that, if the watch comes into RSC for service then it will be retained. That triggers a process to reunite you with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 07:41 PM   #8
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
:( More and more of these threads. Sorry to hear.... You can try advertising on these:

http://www.mystolenwatch.com/home-en/
https://www.thewatchregister.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/412402232515298/
swaini3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 12:47 AM   #9
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefarrell View Post
Hi All,
With a heavy heart I am finally willing to speak to others about having my watch stolen recently. While, there is a clear suspect in mind, there is nothing the local police could do without solid evidence. So, all I have at this time is a criminal police report.

A few years back I purchased a grail watch of mine, a birth year Rolex GMT Master, Pepsi bezel, E Serial, on an Oyster band.

Having been with me through a number of significant life events, the sentimental value of the watch greatly outweighs its monetary value. I am pessimistic about getting it back, but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions of how to bolster my chances of tracking it down.

As mentioned, I currently have a criminal police report including the serial number, description and misc marks and scratches. I peruse places where watches are likely to be sold, such as local pawn shops, craigslist, ebay and other online outlets. Are there any other avenues?

TIA
Was it insured? If "yes" have you filed a claim and been paid?
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 01:29 AM   #10
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear.

Why do you say there is a clear suspect?
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 03:59 AM   #11
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi op. Post your watch's serial number on here.
Old 29 July 2020, 04:29 AM   #12
circles
"TRF" Member

I'm still surprised how many people don't ask if an insurance claim has been filed. Its pretty simple, if a claim has been filed and paid the watch no longer belongs to the person it was stolen from. The watch now belongs to the insurance company. I'm not saying that is the case here since the OP hasn't answered the question regarding insurance.

Even if there is sentimental value, family history, or you saw rainbows and unicorns every time you looked at your stolen watch, the original owner has zero ownership rights, or recovery & salvage claims, once an insurance claim has been settled.
Old 29 July 2020, 09:50 AM   #13
sefarrell
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I appreciate the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Call RUSA, ask to be connected with the manager who handles theft reports, and she will give you the steps to report your stolen GMT.

Once you have done that, if the watch comes into RSC for service then it will be retained. That triggers a process to reunite you with it.

Thanks. I knew there some a process like this, but unsure about the details. This will be high on my list of actions to take. It has been registered by the police. I have also been advised to make sure they registered with the NCIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
:( More and more of these threads. Sorry to hear.... You can try advertising on these:

mystolenwatch
thewatchregister
facebook
Are these actually legit? Even with the watch not in my possession I do not feel great about throwing my serial number out on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by circles View Post
No insurance claim
Old 29 July 2020, 10:02 AM   #14
sefarrell
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I appreciate the support.

Quote:

Thanks. I knew there some a process like this, but unsure about the details. This will be high on my list of actions to take. It has been registered by the police. I have also been advised to make sure they registered with the NCIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post

mystolenwatch
thewatchregister
facebook
Are these actually legit? Even with the watch not in my possession I do not feel great about throwing my serial number out on the internet.

Quote:
No insurance claim
Old 29 July 2020, 05:15 PM   #15
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Originally Posted by sefarrell:

I know Watch register is. Not sure about the others. Just trying to help out and others getting duped into buying a stolen watch. Not trying to 'rub salt on a wound' but the watch is missing anyway so putting the serial number out there is better than nothing. Another thought is maybe putting the serial number here on the forum and other forums. This way, a potential buyer can find out that the watch is stolen if he googles it.
Good luck :)

Last edited by swaini3; 29 July 2020 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Corrected response
swaini3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 11:48 PM   #16
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi op. Post your watch's serial number on here.
This.
Old 31 July 2020, 12:05 AM   #17
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefarrell View Post

No insurance claim
I'm sorry to hear that. In the future, its cheap and easy.
https://www.jewelersmutual.com/?&msc...0C7Q&gclsrc=ds
Old 31 July 2020, 01:59 AM   #18
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
You will also need to send a copy of the police report to verify to Rolex the theft. You can send it to any Rolex Service Center.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 09:28 AM   #19
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. In the future, its cheap and easy.
https://www.jewelersmutual.com/?&msc...0C7Q&gclsrc=ds
Is that cheap? I can't judge because I have no comparison, but insuring my watches with them would cost more than insuring my house against hurricanes. And we live in Florida...

;)

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 10:40 PM   #20
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Is that cheap? I can't judge because I have no comparison, but insuring my watches with them would cost more than insuring my house against hurricanes. And we live in Florida...

;)
The ability to insure $100k in watches for $1k with no deductible, mysterious disappearance payout, and agreed value? If you can beat that anywhere I'd sure like to know and would appreciate the tip.
By the way, I live on the Gulf Coast so I hear you when we're talking homeowner's insurance.
Old 1 August 2020, 01:57 AM   #21
BaliBryan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 RED, OP39,PAM
Quote:
The ability to insure $100k in watches for $1k with no deductible, mysterious disappearance payout, and agreed value? If you can beat that anywhere I'd sure like to know and would appreciate the tip.
By the way, I live on the Gulf Coast so I hear you when we're talking homeowner's insurance.
Did you actually fill out the quote request? Putting in your zip code and jewelry type? I did, $100k with zero deductible is $2,235 per year.
BaliBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 02:03 AM   #22
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliBryan View Post
Did you actually fill out the quote request? Putting in your zip code and jewelry type? I did, $100k with zero deductible is $2,235 per year.
I have a $106k policy with them and it costs me $1,037 a year.

It would surprise me if living in Vegas made it more expensive. I do know your current credit score, and if you have a safe, affects the quote. Regardless, I don't trust online quotes; I'd call them for a quote.
Old 1 August 2020, 02:39 AM   #23
BaliBryan
"TRF" Member

Not sure if we are talking about the same company. Jewelers mutual. There are no questions about credit scores or safes to get the quote.
Old 1 August 2020, 05:19 AM   #24
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliBryan View Post
Not sure if we are talking about the same company. Jewelers mutual. There are no questions about credit scores or safes to get the quote.
Yes, we're talking about the same place. I'll say it again, call them. It does make a difference if you have a safe, they will want a picture of it.
Old 1 August 2020, 09:11 AM   #25
BaliBryan
"TRF" Member

Old 1 August 2020, 04:34 PM   #26
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
You should add the serial number to this thread...if a prospective buyer runs a google search the thread will come up in the search result.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 07:05 PM   #27
Lamontre
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What happen for the new owner that would have bought this watch on Ebay or else without knowing it was stolen? The watch will be returned to original owner but will the buyer get his money back?

OP sad story really and i hope you will get back your watch.
Lamontre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 08:41 PM   #28
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontre View Post
What happen for the new owner that would have bought this watch on Ebay or else without knowing it was stolen? The watch will be returned to original owner but will the buyer get his money back?

Contrary to popular belief Rolex can't take a suspected stolen watch sent in to them and give it to someone else. Lots of guys here say they will but I have yet to see any evidence that this has ever taken place. If it were indeed the case crooks would be gathering serial numbers and reporting them stolen.
Old 6 August 2020, 08:44 PM   #29
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontre View Post

Maybe...and maybe not.

In your question is the presumption that the thief manages to sell the watch to an unwitting buyer. And then that buyer (or other subsequent buyers) passes the watch onto the eBay seller. Then the eBay seller sells it to a buyer who takes it (or sends it) to the RSC.

Upon notice from the RSC, this new owner will be subject to inquiries by investigators. First, from the jurisdiction who received the theft report and issued a written report. It begins a number of inter-jurisdictional steps to eliminate the new owner from suspicion of being the original thief.

The new owner then asks for a refund from the eBay seller. Maybe it is issued, but maybe not. So many scams are possible that the seller would likely decline.

This new owner would then need to use the RSC notice with eBay to lodge a dispute against the seller. Much of what happens next is dependent upon the length of time it took to discover this issue after the transaction was made on eBay.

The new owner could also avail themselves of civil proceedings but not sure that would work if eBay seller and new owner live in different countries.

So when I was an active trader/seller, and took in a watch, it went straight to Verification. But I doubt many buyers do that - and by the way, this isnt just for eBay but for any sales platform or private dealings.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote