The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 6 August 2020, 08:02 PM   #1
zen123
"TRF" Member

Rolex Service Centre UK fail

I took my Kermit Submariner for service last month via my usual AD. I specifically asked for it not to be polished which the AD noted onto the work request.

Anyway got a call today from the AD just now that Rolex had contacted them & advised that unfortunately whoever was working on my watch mistakenly polished it and was not picked up until it was going through final quality check. Due to this mistake Rolex offered 20% discount on the service cost.

To say I'm p#ssed is an understatement. The AD was very apologetic but its not their fault, they asked if there is something they can do to for me which I'll discuss with them when I picked up my watch.

Now, I want to take this up with Rolex and need to know where I stand. Other than the usual swirls and desk diving marks on the bracelet the case was perfectly fine. I'm now having to endure the dreaded Bexley bevel. Is there a complaints procedure I can go through and any guys here, especially in UK, had this problem before give me some advice.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Old 6 August 2020, 08:27 PM   #2
dj-dulux
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
Have you seen the watch yet, hopefully its only had a very light polish based on the condition noted? I would focus on working with the AD to get something nice, access to a sports model etc...

Dupe....
Old 6 August 2020, 08:56 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
As long as any watch is polished correctly by any RSC cannot see any problem this anti polish stuff is mostly internet hyped.In the real world all Rolex oyster cases are designed to be polished, and with today's mainly pampered watches would take around 4-5 services before most would even notice. Thats around 40-50 years of wearing picture below my own personal working tool SD.Now this watch has seen more use and abuse with well over 600 hours underwater than most of today's watches will see in ten life time.Its been serviced and polish by 3 different RSC world wide and still looks good today and all original except for one insert and now over 20 years old.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 6 August 2020, 09:06 PM   #4
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Unless there is significant damage and the polishing was done badly to compensate, highly unlikely, it will look pristine and as new. Rolex have always done a great job.

However, if I sent my dads watch in, and they polished it, I would also be fuming. I want to keep that with all his scrapes and dents now he's not here.

So I do get it. But I think you'll be ok with it. It will look good.
Old 6 August 2020, 09:21 PM   #5
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Sorry can't help. I am the opposite I want my watch looking pristine, like new when it returns from a full service.
I did have my GMT 16750 Pepsi returned from a UK RSC service with an all black bezel once. Checked the S/N to ensure it was my watch which it was. I wore it for several years and requested they revert the bezel to the correct one at the next service. So yes they do make mistakes.
Old 6 August 2020, 09:25 PM   #6
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
I understand, if Rolex did polish my watch, I wouldn’t be happy.

However, let’s say the work is done properly and the only thing you notice, is that your watch looks new, and that they gave have you a discount on top of it, why wouldn’t you be happy?

Just saved a few hundreds.
Old 6 August 2020, 09:30 PM   #7
zen123
"TRF" Member

I'm not doubting the polishing will be done badly. My issue is I requested it not to be done which was specified clearly in the job notes.

I only got this watch last month after many many months of searching for a 1 owner, 100% as original example and having to pay a lot of £££ for the privilege. I instantly knew I had to have it when I first saw it and decided to get it serviced, in fact I took to my AD the day after, so that I could enjoy the watch for many years to come.

Aesthetically it may now look pristine, but that's not what I wanted and I will forever look at the watch in a different way. I already feel emotionally detached from it and I haven't even got it back yet.

Old 6 August 2020, 09:33 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Get the watch back and see how it looks. They did not follow directions but things do happen. I would see if the AD could provide me with a watch that is a waiting list item, though not the fault of the AD. In the end I hope it works out for you. Let us know your thoughts when you collect the watch.
Old 6 August 2020, 09:33 PM   #9
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Sounds like your AD wants to help...maybe ask for one of the waiting list sports models such as the ceramic SS Daytona ... that would be good compensation
Old 6 August 2020, 09:33 PM   #10
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
“I'm now having to endure the dreaded Bexley bevel.”

Are they known as bad polishers?
Old 6 August 2020, 09:36 PM   #11
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
I'm not doubting the polishing will be done badly. My issue is I requested it not to be done which was specified clearly in the job notes.

I only got this watch last month after many many months of searching for a 1 owner, 100% as original example and having to pay a lot of £££ for the privilege. I instantly knew I had to have it when I first saw it and decided to get it serviced, in fact I took to my AD the day after, so that I could enjoy the watch for many years to come.

Aesthetically it may now look pristine, but that's not what I wanted and I will forever look at the watch in a different way. I already feel emotionally detached from it and I haven't even got it back yet.

Wait to get it back first. Maybe you feel in love again. Of not, you have a pristine watch to sell with a service booklet.
Old 6 August 2020, 09:43 PM   #12
dricig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
Sounds like your AD wants to help...maybe ask for one of the waiting list sports models such as the ceramic SS Daytona ... that would be good compensation
Wait and see, You only had it 1 day so you can't be that emotionally attached to the scratches.

Great strategy by Rolex, offer a service discount and ALLOW you to spend another $15,000.
Old 6 August 2020, 09:45 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Get the watch back and see how it looks. They did not follow directions but things do happen. I would see if the AD could provide me with a watch that is a waiting list item, though not the fault of the AD. In the end I hope it works out for you. Let us know your thoughts when you collect the watch.
That’s a great idea if the OP is in the market for another watch, maybe he has some leverage as a result of this mishap.

Good luck OP
Old 6 August 2020, 09:47 PM   #14
tally
"TRF" Member

great opp to move up "the list" of a high demand watch i.e. right to the top!!
Old 6 August 2020, 09:53 PM   #15
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Polished, it’s a new watch. In most instances this would be a good thing. In advertising, when the stations would mess up a clients schedule, I would demand and receive ten times what was lost in “make goods”. Use this wisely!
Old 6 August 2020, 10:05 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It was obviously a mistake and it should not have happened. I wouldn't be happy either. Sounds like both the AD and the RSC want to placate you, even if they can't turn back the clock. In the circumstances, this is good.

Have a look at it before you get angrier. Plan for the worst by all means, but hope for the best. You never know...
Old 6 August 2020, 10:06 PM   #17
tonyedmunds
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700 and 14270
I had exactly the same issue with RSC Kings Hill, I had my pristine 114270 Explorer serviced
In 2018, I delivered it person with Verbal and written instructions not to polish, I confirmed this by email ( twice,) guess what, when told it was ready for collection , sorry it’s been polished. I was apoplectic until I saw the watch and found No sign of polishing except to the case back lapping to correct tiny shiny spots. So never panic until it’s time to panic
Old 6 August 2020, 10:22 PM   #18
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Well, seems like opinions are split.

Recognize that the watch could look great now, but the reality is that OP now owns a 'polished' Kermit and hence occurred a loss of value due to negligence on the RSC side. You can quite easily document a tangible monetary loss.

Leverage a hot sports model if that is what you want. Otherwise I would decline the 20%, ask to be compensated for the difference in value (incl. service for free) and see what they come back with - You have nothing to lose, as you have already "lost"
Old 6 August 2020, 10:34 PM   #19
watchmaker
TechXpert

If it were me I would push Rolex to waive all charges, and perhaps offer you a discount on your future servicing. That's the best you can hope for really (except maybe some branded merch as a gift thrown in).

I wouldn't be asking the AD to make it up to you, they did nothing wrong. Don't sh*t where you eat.

Some perspective needs to be taken though; the vast majority of watches RSC receives will be refinished because it is what the vast majority of owners want. Mistakes happen and there's nothing special about the humans that work in a RSC. You'll be hard pushed to convince a court that their negligence in not following your request resulted in 'damage' if refinishing is the standard and not the exception. (Their terms of service exclude consequential loss anyway).
Old 6 August 2020, 10:49 PM   #20
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Well, its direct damages :)

Nevertheless, a compromise needs to be found. The 20% is not enough.
Old 6 August 2020, 10:53 PM   #21
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Well, its direct damages :)

Nevertheless, a compromise needs to be found. The 20% is not enough.
Direct or indirect, I'm pretty sure the TOS has it covered...

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
(A) Nothing in these Conditions shall limit or exclude the Supplier's liability for: (a) death or personal injury caused by its negligence, or the negligence of its employees, agents or subcontractors; (b)
fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or (c) breach of the terms implied by section 2 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (title and quiet possession).
(B) Subject to clause 7(A) above, the Supplier shall under no circumstances whatsoever be liable to the Customer, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise,
for any diminution or reduction in the market and/or commercial value of the any of the Goods which may have been caused by the Repair Work carried on them.
Old 6 August 2020, 10:56 PM   #22
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Direct or indirect, I'm pretty sure the TOS has it covered...

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
(A) Nothing in these Conditions shall limit or exclude the Supplier's liability for: (a) death or personal injury caused by its negligence, or the negligence of its employees, agents or subcontractors; (b)
fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or (c) breach of the terms implied by section 2 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (title and quiet possession).
(B) Subject to clause 7(A) above, the Supplier shall under no circumstances whatsoever be liable to the Customer, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise,
for any diminution or reduction in the market and/or commercial value of the any of the Goods which may have been caused by the Repair Work carried on them.
20% sounds great
Old 6 August 2020, 11:00 PM   #23
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
20% sounds great
Old 6 August 2020, 11:11 PM   #24
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
This is my biggest "fear" of sending my Daytona in for service...it was my Dad's and I want to keep all the history from when he wore it.
Old 6 August 2020, 11:15 PM   #25
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Wait till you see it. You might be pleasantly surprised at how nice it looks. Take the apology, 20% off, and call it a day.
TRF #139960
Old 6 August 2020, 11:24 PM   #26
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Happened, can’t change it anymore whatever you do.
It’s not that they ruined your watch.

I never thought of Bexley bevels of dreadful, they are beautiful in my eyes.
Old 6 August 2020, 11:38 PM   #27
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Unfortunately it sounds like you should sell the watch and begin your search again. No matter how it looks, you wanted a specific watch in a specific condition and this no longer fits the bill. It’s clearly going to be in your head forever so cut your losses and sell it with a brand new service and warranty to someone who will love it. Hopefully you don’t lose too much money and your AD can make it up to you.

Next time get it serviced by an independent.
Old 6 August 2020, 11:43 PM   #28
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

See if the AD can help you in the purchase of a sports model.
Old 6 August 2020, 11:51 PM   #29
peterpl
Banned

There is NOTHING wrong with RSC doing a polish. If its done properly it will retain all its lines and its sharpness.

Its only when you see hack jobs or regular jewelers who never have polished a Rolex or dont know how to polish to factory specifications is where your problems will arise.
Old 7 August 2020, 12:05 AM   #30
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I have learned that if you send anything in, literally wrap the thing in masking tape with your instructions on it. RSC is getting weak.
Closed Thread