The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2020, 04:14 PM   #61
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Not a fad.

If they could find a way to shrink it somehow, the Daytona may have competition for the most desired reference.
I think that the scarcity alone will never make this model just a fad. Also, this watch has a fantastic complication and is really not as big as people like to complain about, this is coming from someone with a 6.5in wrist.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 04:26 PM   #62
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
I think that the scarcity alone will never make this model just a fad. Also, this watch has a fantastic complication and is really not as big as people like to complain about, this is coming from someone with a 6.5in wrist.

The scarcity is artificial unless Rolex are seeing a lot of pieces being sent in with complaints and keeping numbers low to iron out issues. Just another theory.

Re. the size, I’ve a <6.5” wrist and the GMT was made for my wrists, the Daytona is near perfect but the SkyD is just too big. I took my name off the list, I couldn’t wear it.
Old 7 August 2020, 04:29 PM   #63
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The SkyD is a classic already and full with timeless Rolex DNA ;

+ Fluted bezel and a functioning one
+ Cyclops
+ Oyster bracelet with easy link
+ Waterproof
+ First Rolex with an annual calendar complication
+ First Rolex with a dual complication, added GMT function
+ PM range comes with the first mechanism for Rolex aligning the crown always up.

It is the only Rolex you will ever need

Down the road i think the blue will be less in demand than the other configurations. The black/ white dials look less cluttered and more stylish imho.
Old 7 August 2020, 04:38 PM   #64
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

hard to say... not for me
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:32 PM   #65
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Fad? I think not. How many Rolex watches have been fads? Some may go out of style after many years as times change just like anything else. Quartz was fad but for every watch maker.
I think the blue Sky D is destined for a long successful future and will be very happy to own one into that foreseeable successful future.
Awesome watch.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:42 PM   #66
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

First Rolex annual calendar is probably enough to make piece with a long-term following. Probably held in the same regard as old Sea-Dwellers or Explorer IIs. Very cool watch, has it's fans, not as widespread appeal as some other models. I own a black Sky and absolutely love it but I also know it's not for everyone.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:51 PM   #67
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Late to the discussion but it is a good one. I believe the Sky-Dweller is an awesome modern Rolex watch. I like the size, bezel, bracelet, dial, crown, functions and fit and finish. When I hear people discuss classic watches or vintage watches many times I think we are actually talking about old watches. Nothing wrong with old or vintage but when you talk about a watch that was created from ground zero the Sky-Dweller is a good example of what Rolex can do when they want. Update a case or movement is the typical Rolex stance and they move like a glacier, which is part of the appeal. No silliness from them and always well thought out moves. But the Sky-Dweller is a very modern "Let me show you what I can do" move for Rolex. I purchased the white dial Sky-Dweller and liked the fit and wear so much that I purchased a YG white dial version and the elusive blue dial version in SS. They are all perfect for me right now mixing wear, looks and function. I get the blue dial as it is strong but if they all had to go I would keep the white dial, add a black dial and have a nice two watch collection. Come September 1 we will see new levels of Rolex madness with the new releases and discontinued models. Can't wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200723_133308 (002).jpg (192.7 KB, 295 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:20 PM   #68
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Good question. I actually think more of a fad driven by the scarcity. It's not a watch for everyone. Has a "different" look that doesn't appeal to a wide variety of people. Kind of a sports watch that wants to be a dress watch, or maybe the other way around. Kind of an odd ball. As a blue DJII owner it looks too much like my watch for me to spend the extra money and at 42 might be a hair too big for a dressier watch.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:31 PM   #69
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Late to the discussion but it is a good one. I believe the Sky-Dweller is an awesome modern Rolex watch. I like the size, bezel, bracelet, dial, crown, functions and fit and finish. When I hear people discuss classic watches or vintage watches many times I think we are actually talking about old watches. Nothing wrong with old or vintage but when you talk about a watch that was created from ground zero the Sky-Dweller is a good example of what Rolex can do when they want. Update a case or movement is the typical Rolex stance and they move like a glacier, which is part of the appeal. No silliness from them and always well thought out moves. But the Sky-Dweller is a very modern "Let me show you what I can do" move for Rolex. I purchased the white dial Sky-Dweller and liked the fit and wear so much that I purchased a YG white dial version and the elusive blue dial version in SS. They are all perfect for me right now mixing wear, looks and function. I get the blue dial as it is strong but if they all had to go I would keep the white dial, add a black dial and have a nice two watch collection. Come September 1 we will see new levels of Rolex madness with the new releases and discontinued models. Can't wait.

You sir, are all in on the skydweller line up! That’s a beautiful trio
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:37 PM   #70
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Too big with a rarely used complication, I would not buy one
Great minds

OP, it’s an innovative watch and definitely value for money ... I think it’s hard to argue against that.

For me it just doesn’t fall into the classic category ... not yet anyway
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:10 AM   #71
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I think its gonna be in the same category with YM2.
Nice complications but not classics.
Old 8 August 2020, 03:12 AM   #72
ChipotleBanana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanzenberg View Post
It’s a cultural change that’s been going on for decades. Younger successful people are less inclined to show off or flash their success like a solid yellow gold watch conveys. They appreciate the craftsmanship and look at the “tool” aspect of a diver or GMT. Some may go for PM, but as evidenced, the most in-demand models from the big houses are steel sports models. Those convey an active lifestyle, including the SkyD or GMT which convey a “travel-ready at any time” lifestyle.
As much of an ideal message as this is, it really is so far from the truth. Most of the young Rolex buyers who are hyper-focused on SS pieces are not at all trying to show that they have an active lifestyle lol. They're are trying to flex their money and social clout by going to find the most hyped up watches that exist. Think how people default to LV, Supreme, Gucci, etc. They are not often buying because they really want it, but buying because of the perceived image they think they'll have.
ChipotleBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:41 AM   #73
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

The SkyD is the best complicated watch. There are no pushers. I repeat, there are no pushers to worry about setting the watch a’la Patek. Speaking of setting the watch, you can’t break the movement. I repeat, you cannot break the movement. If you change the date within some time window. If you move the GMT hours forward or back. You. Cannot. Break. It. You can take it on a 16 hour flight, get 2 timezones, set the date and not worry about breaking the movement. Oh, and you can swim and do whatever you want with it, since it’s a Rolex.

Did I mention you cannot break this complication? This is a paradigm shift of complicated watches if you’ve ever dealt with them.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:51 AM   #74
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipotleBanana View Post
As much of an ideal message as this is, it really is so far from the truth. Most of the young Rolex buyers who are hyper-focused on SS pieces are not at all trying to show that they have an active lifestyle lol. They're are trying to flex their money and social clout by going to find the most hyped up watches that exist. Think how people default to LV, Supreme, Gucci, etc. They are not often buying because they really want it, but buying because of the perceived image they think they'll have.
Maybe. Most of the public will never tell 1 Rolex apart from another. They see the name and say, “oh cool a $5000 watch, that’s crazy.” For people that know watches, if I see someone with a GMT or someone else with an Explorer, it says something about that lifestyle. Same with the SkyD. If you know the watch, it says something about the person.

But at the end of the day, spending this much money for a hunk of metal is silly and will always be silly.
Old 8 August 2020, 03:52 AM   #75
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Exactly. I don’t get the size issue. The SkyD is 2mm wider and 0.5mm taller than a 5970, which IS a classic design, and some say is a perfect watch.
Old 8 August 2020, 06:06 AM   #76
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If I had a blue SS Sky Dweller my children would inherit it. I don't know if that makes it a fad or not.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 07:19 PM   #77
vivicorsi
Banned

Enough said...
vivicorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 07:35 PM   #78
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Very nice William.

But I need more quality pix of these puppies.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 07:43 PM   #79
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars1g09 View Post
As the thread title says, would be interested to get your input on whether the SS blue SkyDweller will in the future be a classic - a watch worth keeping for life essentially?

On one hand, its got a terrific design, and one of the best dials from Rolex hands down.

On the other hand, it is pretty huge - its thickness especially.

What does everyone think?
Well today many buy certain watches with the hype generated by the net and today many wear the hype.But doubt if any skydweller will be come a classic like say Subs, GMTs,DD,and DJs

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 08:30 PM   #80
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Does it matter really if it becomes a classic or not, my view is that a watch should be something you want to wear now, also fads always change what is in demand now may not be in the future and visa versa, enjoy the moment.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:06 PM   #81
challer
"TRF" Member

It's actually the same blue dial as the DJ41 in blue. So, there's that. SkyD is likely here to stay. Classic? We all couldn't agree on a definition here. As to it "it wears huge", not to me and not compared to a SeaDweller I sold for that reason.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 10:27 PM   #82
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I don’t think it will join the other classic Rolex watches, but if you do just put it away in the safe and wait...
or just wear it and enjoy it.

Old 8 August 2020, 11:03 PM   #83
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
The Sky-Dweller is a horrible watch, probably the worst Rolex ever made.

Too big for a normal wrist, too flashy, too expensive, useless complications and will never be a classic, especially the one with the ugly blue dial.

Man, am I happy to own one.
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:20 AM   #84
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu74 View Post
The Sky-Dweller is a horrible watch, probably the worst Rolex ever made.

Too big for a normal wrist, too flashy, too expensive, useless complications and will never be a classic, especially the one with the ugly blue dial.

Man, am I happy to own one.

Yes please stop buying them! Maybe I’ll pick up a few more colors.
Old 9 August 2020, 04:57 AM   #85
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It's a fantastic reference for sure, but I think it's just too big to become a classic.
It made my DJ2 feel like a Lady Datejust by comparison and the DJ2 is no small watch.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:23 AM   #86
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Very cool watch, but too big to end up a true classic.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:48 AM   #87
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Absolutely, and the quirkiness only help.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:05 AM   #88
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Great watch with an innovative implementation of an annual calendar. Not for me though. Never liked the size, and it’s a bit busy. Not sure it will be a classic.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:09 AM   #89
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

With “normal” watch size moving up, I certainly see the skydweller being front and center for decades to come!
Rolex is doing it right with the skydweller, maintaining a relatively lower numbers of production (compared to demand) and that make the recipe for a future classic!!
Old 9 August 2020, 06:16 AM   #90
skyblue12
"TRF" Member

I'll go fad too. It's to big.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
skyblue12 is offline   Reply With Quote