The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 August 2020, 09:55 AM   #1
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

First Rolex

Hi all

I am based in Glasgow Scotland and am in the process of getting my first Rolex.
So far I have been to see a few 116233’s which I am so far 80% sure will be the one, preferably with factory diamond dial and perhaps Mother of Pearl if I can find one from an authorised dealer.
I also had a look at a gorgeous 118238 but is a little pricey, however for the right price/condition I could be tempted on a 18238

I also have family state side so can easily buy out there as here, please feel free to chime in with suggestions on that

I look forward to interacting on here as I have been following along for a while.
MrDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 06:38 PM   #2
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDenver View Post
Hi all

So far I have been to see a few 116233’s which I am so far 80% sure will be the one, preferably with factory diamond dial and perhaps Mother of Pearl if I can find one from an authorised dealer.
I also had a look at a gorgeous 118238 but is a little pricey, however for the right price/condition I could be tempted on a 18238

I also have family state side so can easily buy out there as here, please feel free to chime in with suggestions on that

I look forward to interacting on here as I have been following along for a while.
It sounds as though you're open to multiple options. The 116233 is a great watch as is the 118238 (most would probably go for the 118238) but the important thing is to get what you want, not for investment but becouse you want to wear it. This will also establish an AD relationship, although if you buy state side it's a little further away from where you live, so if you decided to walk into your local AD in the future for another watch there would be no purchase history.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:35 PM   #3
morglaw
Banned

Quote:
Hi all

Wow nice, I am sure you will do the right choice, and I am also sure you will enjoy it so much! Good luck! ;)
morglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:46 PM   #4
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Welcome. Must admit this forum takes you down roads you would sometimes be better off even knowing about.

Which leads me onto the advice.

You've picked two cracking watches. Nobody here can critique either of them that makes either / or superior, its purely personal preference and you shouldn't be swayed by someone else's view.

Therefore, I would recommend you buy when you are 100% sure which is the right one for you.

If you like the TT Datejust more, with the MOP dial and diamond markers then that's for you. Some prefer the president bracelet and classic champagne dial combo.

Neither are a bad choice, look forward to hearing what you went for.

P.S. as it sounds like you are going down the new route, I don't think you will have a problem ordering either. They are usually quite easy to get hold of. I would however ring around. Simply because when you ask to order one in, it shows serious intent and therefore little discount. If it has been sitting in a window for months you can quite easily get to 15% maybe even 20% on full gold. So put the legwork in and it may just pay off.

Having said that, the models you are talking about can be picked up from trusted resellers for a fair discount too, sometimes BNIB. If you forsee many more watches coming your way in the future, may be wise to persevere with a local AD to form a relationship.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:18 PM   #5
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:20 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

I’d buy from your own country if possible. You’ll have to pay taxes duty etc if you import from the US. Best to check with your customs on costs etc.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:22 PM   #7
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Welcome to TRF sir.. the journey is as much fun, as actually wearing the watch.. shop wisely and good luck
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 10:10 PM   #8
Denvertimeguy
Banned

Put all thoughts aside for your first Rolex and get what honestly speaks to you! Most likely it’s going to be a watch you keep forever being your first piece and might as well go for something you truly love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Denvertimeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:49 AM   #9
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the warm welcome

A few things, I plan to buy used so the watches I am looking at are available
The 116233 with mother of pearl diamond dial is proving a little harder to locate from an AD and the ones I have found are around a 3k premium, which is not a complete deal breaker if I am honest as seeing them in person they are truly stunning.

Scotland does not have many AD’s and I am willing to travel, does any one have thoughts on buying from a jeweller that happens to sell watches but is not an AD?

Again, thank you for the warm welcome
Old 8 August 2020, 02:02 AM   #10
benny88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Have a look at SS Milton Jewellers based in Chester and Liverpool. They have a 116233 and a 116234 both unworn and both have factory mother of pearl dials with diamond dot markers. Both also at a nice discount to new. I got my watch from them and they are great to deal with, worth the trip down from Scotland to buy from them.
benny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 02:03 AM   #11
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Not sure wha the RRP is on the MOP TT DJ but watchfinder have this
https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...e119362&rank=7

It’s on the last page of the DJs which means they’ve had it quite some time. I’d estimate at least 1 year. They also have a store in Glasgow I’m pretty sure. So they will move it there for viewing.

I’d say they’d do a deal on that for you. But I’d also ask them to shift another cheaper piece so you can play the two pieces off. They will want you to buy the more expensive piece. Pick one at 10k and they may do a deal at 11k for the MOP, if you tell them that’s all you have.

Or play the game with a DD - which is not much more than the MOP

What is the list price of the MOP DJ ?
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 02:06 AM   #12
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny88 View Post
Have a look at SS Milton Jewellers based in Chester and Liverpool. They have a 116233 and a 116234 both unworn and both have factory mother of pearl dials with diamond dot markers. Both also at a nice discount to new. I got my watch from them and they are great to deal with, worth the trip down from Scotland to buy from them.
I have been looking at them, I’ve done the Liverpool and home again trip in a day it’s no problem.
I have seen their name come up a few places all highly spoken of.

I spoke to the owner of the Edinburgh watch company on the phone and he has an unworn 112633 from 2004 but unfortunately it does not have the diamond dial

This may sound daft but the watch does not necessarily have to be in unworn condition as I plan to wear it daily, very good to mint would suffice 😆
Old 8 August 2020, 02:24 AM   #13
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

It’s on the last page of the DJs which means they’ve had it quite some time. I’d estimate at least 1 year. They also have a store in Glasgow I’m pretty sure. So they will move it there for viewing.

I’d say they’d do a deal on that for you. But I’d also ask them to shift another cheaper piece so you can play the two pieces off. They will want you to buy the more expensive piece. Pick one at 10k and they may do a deal at 11k for the MOP, if you tell them that’s all you have.

I was looking at that watch it is beautiful. I’m not sure if I could pull of the diamond bezel everyday however when the mood struck I definitely could.

Last I looked new was around 12k for MoP roughly 3k over standard.

I was in Glasgow last week looking at watches and only discovered yesterday they had an office in the city centre. Some of their prices seem a little high but perhaps they have some mobility on them
Old 8 August 2020, 05:11 AM   #14
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny88 View Post
I have heard good things about them and the round trip to Liverpool is an easy one in a day. They seem to have a great selection of dials and other bits and pieces that would definitely be of interest

I spoke on the phone to the owner of the Edinburgh Watch Company who was great, he has an unworn 112633 with champagne dial but unfortunately does not have diamond set.

This may sound contradictory but I do not necessarily need unworn condition, I would settle for very good/mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

The retail is £13200 so roughly a 4k premium which i am unsure if i could justify for a dial to be honest but it is not out of the question.

The one you linked is stunning and that color of Mop reminds me of tartan and bet it would shimmer lovely but the diamond bezel may be a bit much for a daily wearer.

I imagine there are limited buyers for such things but it is up my street when the mood or situation calls for it and i already know the consensus on diamonds on a mans watch... I care not
Old 8 August 2020, 08:24 AM   #15
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the repeat posts, I thought they did not send due to an issue with my phone not that the moderators had to check the post first because I am new so I re posted

Newbie mistake
Old 8 August 2020, 06:59 PM   #16
benny88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
I have been looking at them, I’ve done the Liverpool and home again trip in a day it’s no problem.
I have seen their name come up a few places all highly spoken of.

I spoke to the owner of the Edinburgh watch company on the phone and he has an unworn 112633 from 2004 but unfortunately it does not have the diamond dial

This may sound daft but the watch does not necessarily have to be in unworn condition as I plan to wear it daily, very good to mint would suffice 😆
I went down the pre owned very good condition route when I bought mine from them, saved a good amount on rrp and makes me less OCD about wearing it! As I said they have those two unworn examples in stock at the moment, but keep an eye on their stock as they get stuff in regularly and at great prices
benny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 07:27 PM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Hi all

Denver, there's little advice that anyone can tell you as to which watch you'll like. That's up to you to look around and see what moves you.

For me it's a moving target and even having sampled Rolex watches from the least costly to nearly the most costly I can truly say there's no answer for me as there are still watches I would love to own but finances stop making sense in buying and selling watches so I've decided to stay pat with the hand I've been dealt. At any rate, choose what you like the most and hope that you can continue loving it for a long time.

The models you're looking at are available in abundance and should be able to be purchased about anywhere in the world so you might want to spend some time checking out watches at the local ADs.

Good luck with you choice!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote