The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2020, 01:26 PM   #1
jezzajannn
"TRF" Member

Cleaning process during a service?

So I'm about to purchase my first Rolex, it's a 2005 16610.

I plan on taking it to Rolex to get it serviced, firstly to ensure it is fully water resistant, but more importantly to me is I want the watch to be as clean/new as possible.

If I had the choice, I would buy new, but unfortunately the supercase Submariner is too big for me.
But the thought of wearing a watch with someone else's built up dead-skin under the bezel or inside the links of the bracelet is very off-putting to me (and I know some owners never clean their watches)

Can anyone here who has more knowledge, tell me more about the cleaning process during a Rolex service?

Do they clean every part?
Is the bracelet taken apart and the inside of the hollow links cleaned also?
jezzajannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 02:03 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Cleaning process during a service?

The case is disassembled and inspected for defects. They clean every part, replace worn parts such as gaskets etc.

The bracelet is not disassembled individually but is cleaned thoroughly regardless and checked for defects. If bracelet is defective they will recommend replacement.

If dead skin bothers you, you could toss the bracelet in an ultrasonic cleaner.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 04:43 PM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Ultrasonic cleaning of watch parts and bracelet during service

(I don’t like somebody else his germs either and stick to new)
Old 7 August 2020, 06:22 PM   #4
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Rethink buying a used watch unless you know the current owner. If you are repulsed by the idea of someone else's vermin living in the deep crevices of the case, crown, and bracelet I'd just buy new. I can only imagine some of the hideous things people do whilst wearing their watch.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:10 PM   #5
dricig
"TRF" Member

This:
Attached Images
File Type: png 5-c.png (97.7 KB, 258 views)
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:58 PM   #6
j0hnny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD 16600, Ze
A full service will ultrasonic clean the lot, I’m funny about stuff like that but a full service would put that to bed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
j0hnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:59 PM   #7
j0hnny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD 16600, Ze
So if everything else about the watch is perfect for you, get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
j0hnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 12:05 AM   #8
snok
"TRF" Member

If there isn't any other issue, then buy it.
snok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 12:09 AM   #9
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Do you think a new watch was not tried on by anyone else before you purchased that new sterile watch. No. A thorough cleaning while getting a service will make the watch as clean as a new one. It is not a surgical instrument.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 12:24 AM   #10
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

First, congradulations on your upcoming purchase. The 16610 is what started it all for me and I bought my first one in 1994 and still wear it in rotation today. I would not fear buying a pre-owned watch especially if you are interested in procuring a model that is no longer in production (a classic at that!). Sending it off to Rolex for a service is always a great idea as it accomplishes a few things: 1) The watch is completely disassembled, inspected, cleaned, worn parts replaced and then reassembled, checked for accuracy and polished (if you choose). The watch for the most part is brought back to close to new condition and will look and work great for years to come. 2) You'll sleep easier at night knowing your new watch is authentic, water-resistant to spec, and is running correctly. 3) You'll have a Rolex service warranty should anything go wrong post-service.

While I appreciate wanting to ensure that your new (pre-owned) watch is a clean as possible I think you'll find post-service that it will be more than satisfactory and will give you many many years of great service.

On a related note I was given a 16710 GMT from a friend who wore the watch hard daily and never took it off for over 25 years. To say that the watch was in tough shape would be an understatement. I sent it in to the NYC RSC for a complete service and it came back looking nearly as good as the day it left the AD. Even had that "new watch smell" to use an auto reference. It looks and runs perfectly and is ready for another 25 years of hard labor.

A few quick before and after photos:

Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:26 AM   #11
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Awesome before and after shots.
Old 8 August 2020, 02:13 AM   #12
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NYC View Post
First, congradulations on your upcoming purchase. The 16610 is what started it all for me and I bought my first one in 1994 and still wear it in rotation today. I would not fear buying a pre-owned watch especially if you are interested in procuring a model that is no longer in production (a classic at that!). Sending it off to Rolex for a service is always a great idea as it accomplishes a few things: 1) The watch is completely disassembled, inspected, cleaned, worn parts replaced and then reassembled, checked for accuracy and polished (if you choose). The watch for the most part is brought back to close to new condition and will look and work great for years to come. 2) You'll sleep easier at night knowing your new watch is authentic, water-resistant to spec, and is running correctly. 3) You'll have a Rolex service warranty should anything go wrong post-service.

While I appreciate wanting to ensure that your new (pre-owned) watch is a clean as possible I think you'll find post-service that it will be more than satisfactory and will give you many many years of great service.

On a related note I was given a 16710 GMT from a friend who wore the watch hard daily and never took it off for over 25 years. To say that the watch was in tough shape would be an understatement. I sent it in to the NYC RSC for a complete service and it came back looking nearly as good as the day it left the AD. Even had that "new watch smell" to use an auto reference. It looks and runs perfectly and is ready for another 25 years of hard labor.

A few quick before and after photos:

that is a lot of wrist cheese id hate to see what the bracelet area between the lugs looked like when removed
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 02:39 AM   #13
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
that is a lot of wrist cheese id hate to see what the bracelet area between the lugs looked like when removed
I hate to say it, but that is nothing.

This is unfortunately quite common.....

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 04:22 AM   #14
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Brrrrrr, thinking it’s totally rude and disrespectful to sent a watch for repair this dirty.
Old 8 August 2020, 04:25 AM   #15
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

Wow - now that is a watch needing help.

Most owners can barely wash the watch with soap and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 05:49 AM   #16
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Brrrrrr, thinking it’s totally rude and disrespectful to sent a watch for repair this dirty.
If their watch looks like this then I don't even want to know about the rest of their personal hygiene.

Truly revolting and indeed disrespectful to anyone who has to touch it.

I wish we could reject these people.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote