The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2019, 11:34 PM   #61
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I was thinking about doing’ some dialysis in the garage a little later today.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 11:35 PM   #62
Brew
"TRF" Member

I think the IV would match the blue hand and text on my YM. I'll have to give it a try.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:01 AM   #63
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
I wonder if they are the same ladies who got the fake implants they now wish they never did due to all the serious health issues years later. But at least their Rolexes are real. Or are they?

No. They’re not the same ladies who got the fake implants.
As for their Rolexes being real or fake. I only know one lady who wears Rolex, and it is in fact genuine.
Did you really wonder if they were the same ladies who got the fake implants, AJ? Seriously?
Hmmm......
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:45 AM   #64
SearChart
TechXpert

Alrighty then
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:47 AM   #65
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Not my thing, but professional hockey players after playing in overtime and double overtime games often get IV infusions to get their fluid levels up, because drinking water doesn't do it fast enough. And dehydration is a serious thing.

Not sure I'd do if for fun though.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:49 AM   #66
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I was thinking about doing’ some dialysis in the garage a little later today.
Use a large enough gauge hose and 2:1 gas/oil is good enough to be your antiseptic for the sterile field.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:53 AM   #67
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
update? I've been seeing this and would like to try it.
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:00 AM   #68
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter6 View Post
In this thread we see who has never served and didn't know that a Combat Lifesaver Class could qualify one to administer an IV. Medics would usually give each other IVs before a Monday morning run after a long weekend if drinking hard. As long as the IV site is clean and you don't put an air embolism in the blood stream it's all good.

Military did a study once on soldiers coming out of field, 1/2 got IV fluids other 1/2 got PO. First one to urinate was the PO group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:02 AM   #69
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Leaches or nothing.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:17 AM   #70
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri.Popov View Post
update? I've been seeing this and would like to try it.
I'm super curious, myself. There are a few places in Boston that I've walked by and have always thought about it. From what I've heard, its a quick boost but not something you feel past a few days.

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:17 AM   #71
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Once again, placebo unless you have very specific and generally quite serious medical problems. It's not even like the relatively harmless placebos associated with homeopathy and acupuncture. Cannulate enough well people and eventually one will develop life threatening septicaemia/air embolus. The numbers are admittedly tiny, but when the benefit is basically zero it's significant.

If evidence (or in this case the utter lack thereof) isn't convincing enough, then consider the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow and her immoral, odious Goop venture advocates this shit. Who wants to be on her side of any argument?
Old 10 September 2019, 02:17 AM   #72
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
Military did a study once on soldiers coming out of field, 1/2 got IV fluids other 1/2 got PO. First one to urinate was the PO group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting but is first to uninate mean they are rehydrated. The body is very complex on how it handles what we ingest and what hormones and other goodies are released. And a full bladder may not mean much.

And on the other hand, does an IV actually circumvent our bodies natural systems for recovery since it may be a lot more complex that just adding in fluid.

I found this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20364876
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:20 AM   #73
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Once again, placebo.

If evidence (or in this case the utter lack thereof) isn't convincing enough, then consider the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow and her immoral, odious Goop venture advocates this shit. Who wants to be on her side of any argument?
That's the nail in the coffin for me. Anything with Goop's approval is discredited IMO.

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 03:06 AM   #74
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Once again, placebo unless you have very specific and generally quite serious medical problems. It's not even like the relatively harmless placebos associated with homeopathy and acupuncture. Cannulate enough well people and eventually one will develop life threatening septicaemia/air embolus. The numbers are admittedly tiny, but when the benefit is basically zero it's significant.

This is exactly correct.

An IV is a medical procedure. All procedures have risks. Just because a procedure is common does not mean there can't be complications, and when there is no evidence based benefit, those complications, even when rare, are amplified by the fact that they were preventable if we had just left the patient alone.

Additionally, remember that IV fluid is just salt water, sometimes with some sugar mixed in. Although it goes straight to your vascular system, so does what you drink as soon as it hits the GI system. It also is not expensive, but check out the list prices on these supposed cures. $300-500? Come on.

A hangover will only be cured with time, due to the nature of the combined intra- and extra-cellular depletion, plus the general toxicity if alcohol. There is just no getting around that.

If it worked and was evidence based, all of us doctors would have Saturday morning clinic just to rehydrate the masses and improve their outcomes. It'd be profitable and benevolent. Instead, we also sometimes sit around Saturday mornings after a Friday night out hating life.

Or, to put this another way, if Hollywood has some medical advice for you, roundly ignore it.
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 04:00 AM   #75
buckrogers0025
"TRF" Member

All interesting input. Here’s mine as I enter the last half of a six week radiation treatment protocol following throat cancer surgery.

Even though nutritional IV therapy is not covered by insurance, I elected to try it and see if there would be any benefit in keeping some of the radiation side effects to a minimum. It only took the clinic to draw my blood for testing prior to starting infusion to see what I was up against. After only three days of radiation, my blood was literally black with toxins.

I have been going twice a week for almost three weeks now. Each time getting a bag of fluid along with another concentrated bag of vitamins and other nutrients. We also push though a couple ml of glutathione to help detox. Keep in mind that eating is a huge challenge since my taste buds have been wiped out and everything I try to eat is just a tasteless texture. Soups and nutrient-rich smoothies are about all I can stand. Getting calories has become a new obsession.

Do the infusions help? I would like to think so. If nothing else, they keep me very hydrated even though drinking water is a priority. It could all be psychological, but I am into the back side of my treatment schedule and - besides some localized side-effects - I feel pretty darn good.
buckrogers0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 11:01 AM   #76
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I’m a little surprised at just how ill informed people here are on the simple nature of hydration, and how easily an IV fixes that. To call it a placebo affect is blowing my mind. I assume hospitals give people IVs for the placebo affect... and not because of its proven efficacy?
I understand the concerns about self administering, or the potential risks associated with with not doing it in a hospital but this has been done in fields heavily since the 1960s..
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 04:25 PM   #77
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
I’m a little surprised at just how ill informed people here are on the simple nature of hydration, and how easily an IV fixes that. To call it a placebo affect is blowing my mind. I assume hospitals give people IVs for the placebo affect... and not because of its proven efficacy?
I understand the concerns about self administering, or the potential risks associated with with not doing it in a hospital but this has been done in fields heavily since the 1960s..
Nobody is denying the benefits of IV hydration in people who are acutely ill, as folk in hospital tend to be but in any event that's not what this thread is about. A reminder of the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
A doctor friend of mine recommended an IV infusion, apparently it’s really good for you and he says lots of people feel better afterwards. Let’s see how I feel after, maybe it’ll be a good start to the week. I’m not sure if the benefits would outweigh just drinking a Gatorade lol
Intravenously hydrating sick people who are dehydrated or who are or are at risk of dehydration and who are unable to take fluids orally or absorb them properly is not the same as healthy people having an IV infusion just because they fancy giving it a go.

I’ll happily reconsider my position that healthy people taking IV’s because “it’s really good for you” confers no benefit beyond placebo and that any person with mild dehydration caused by a hangover who goes for an IV instead of just drinking some juice is asking for a Darwin Award, if you can post the evidence that suggests otherwise. Until then, the null hypothesis applies.

As an aside, the fact that a therapy is administered in hospital is absolutely no guarantee that the treatment works. Doctors administer placebos and treatments with a dubious evidence base all the time. IV hydration isn’t one of them, I hasten to add.
Old 10 September 2019, 09:12 PM   #78
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I'm planning a spot of DIY trepanning this evening. Or maybe I'll just balance a book on my head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepan...053_detail.jpg
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 10:22 PM   #79
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nobody is denying the benefits of IV hydration in people who are acutely ill, as folk in hospital tend to be but in any event that's not what this thread is about. A reminder of the OP...

Intravenously hydrating sick people who are dehydrated or who are or are at risk of dehydration and who are unable to take fluids orally or absorb them properly is not the same as healthy people having an IV infusion just because they fancy giving it a go.

I’ll happily reconsider my position that healthy people taking IV’s because “it’s really good for you” confers no benefit beyond placebo and that any person with mild dehydration caused by a hangover who goes for an IV instead of just drinking some juice is asking for a Darwin Award, if you can post the evidence that suggests otherwise. Until then, the null hypothesis applies.

As an aside, the fact that a therapy is administered in hospital is absolutely no guarantee that the treatment works. Doctors administer placebos and treatments with a dubious evidence base all the time. IV hydration isn’t one of them, I hasten to add.
Nowhere did I say this should be taken to cure a hangover or that doing so would cure a hangover.
What I am stating is that Iv fluids will hydrate you faster than you can do so yourself by simply drinking fluids.
I generally drink in the vicinity of a gallon of water per day. I am acutely aware when I feel dehydrated, and can without a doubt tell you that IV fluids address this faster than me trying to consume water in the same amount of time.

Is it necessary for most? Well, probably because the average person is dehydrated and doesn’t drink nearly what they require. That said, with a scary high obesity rate the average American clearly doesn’t care for their health either so... yes, I think most would benefit from 1-2l of IV fluids, but because most are completely ignorant of their needs they won’t do so, nor will they drink that throughout the day..
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 10:58 PM   #80
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
Nowhere did I say this should be taken to cure a hangover or that doing so would cure a hangover.
Point taken, I didn’t intend to imply you did, rather that some replies to the thread have steered the discussion to the possibility of IV’s as a hangover cure.
Old 11 September 2019, 03:21 AM   #81
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I'm planning a spot of DIY trepanning this evening. Or maybe I'll just balance a book on my head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepan...053_detail.jpg
“...like a hole in your head”
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 10:53 PM   #82
daniel.c.garner8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Common practice in China.
Isn't keeping a can of oxygen in your desk common as well? Saw a video about canned oxygen being a thing in China...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
daniel.c.garner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 02:33 AM   #83
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Large Coke & Carniasada Burrito will do the trick!

No way I would ever get an IV unless there is a legitimate medical reason.
The California cure Los Angeles edition.

Large Coke (Mexican made with sugar) and Carnitas tacos. Don't know why it works... But it does.

Behold! The Miracle of caffeine, sugar and fried pork!
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 03:32 AM   #84
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Reminds me of Jacobs Ladder. We are all different but test subject doesnt sit well with me.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 05:39 AM   #85
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Next you should try a coffee enema

Report back after you've tried it and compare it to the IV
Pretty close.

https://youtu.be/HVhr1noJm-A
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote