The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 May 2019, 05:27 AM   #1
douglas225
"TRF" Member

JLC tribute to deep sea alarm (european) VS blancpain vintage fifty fathoms

I am really in love with both of these divers. I especially like the alarm on the JLC; however, i love the look and heritage of the Blancpain. The prices are all over the place and i know that they are very different watches (new vs vintage), but both of these watches are somewhere in neighborhood of 12k to 16k.

I am not a collector, but i want to make a smart financial decision none-the-less, so resale/long term value are very much part of my calculus.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had either. I am open to the reissue Blancpain as well. Finally, and i think it goes without saying, i would be purchasing all of these watches second hand.

thanks, doug
douglas225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 02:26 PM   #2
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I had the US edition of the Tribute to DSA. Great watch. Best of both worlds - a faithful modern reissue of a vintage watch. I liked the fact it was a modern, yet had the vintage look, and it was limited edition.

I ended up letting it go only to trade up for a piece I really wanted. I probably broke even or even made a small profit on the trade.

The European dial is more numerous than the US dial (959 vs 359), but based on TRF feedback, most TRFers seem to prefer the cleaner European dial. Over the time I was searching for the DSA and had the DSA, the value has been steady or increased slightly. I don't see anything that would make me think things will change in the future.

The DSA is such a beautiful watch and one of the original dive watches from the 50s.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 03:27 PM   #3
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quite a coincidence but I am wearing my Deep Sea Tribute today (American face). When I was first looking I actually wanted the European dial. Now that I have the American one I can't imagine having anything else. It was a better choice for me.

I haven't seen many vintage Fifty Fathoms for 12-16k. Many of them are much more. Perhaps you're looking at the other Bathyscaphes? Plus most of the vintage ones are 36mm and the JLC is 40mm for whatever that's worth to you.

I bought my Deep Sea 3 years ago - full set (I got a good deal from a trusted seller on TRF) and it's value has gone up 30%. They seem to have remained steady now and who knows what will happen in the future. A vintage Blancpain especially with the No Rads dial will continue to rise but it is also a minefield of aftermarket parts and re-dials that you won't encounter with the JLC.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 01:48 PM   #4
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Personally, I think the JLC Deep Sea (Euro or US) are amazing watches. For dive watches, the Tribute Deep Sea and the Tribute to Polaris (Memovox) set the standard. Nothing against Rolex or Blancpain (I've had a Bathy and liked it), but the JLCs are just really cool and different.

Also what heritage of Blancpain are you referring to? Didn't they go belly up in the 80s before get resurrected from the dead? Can't go wrong with JLC.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 03:17 PM   #5
JP123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post

Also what heritage of Blancpain are you referring to?
Oldest watchmaking brand in the world? FF the first commercially produced dive watch? :)
JP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 03:51 PM   #6
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP123 View Post
Oldest watchmaking brand in the world? FF the first commercially produced dive watch? :)
The original fifty fathoms are like $60,000. I think that’s why he’s asking. They’re not a proper comparison for the JLC Deep Sea tributes
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 07:28 AM   #7
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

I'm in the minority that far prefers the American dial and would have a hard time choosing between that and the FF. If it's the European version in the race, FF is an easy choice for me.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 07:56 AM   #8
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

If we are talking reissues, I can offer some perspective on both. I love both of these watches (likely my two favorite in my posession).

From a quality and usability standpoint, the FF wins hands down. Longer power reserve, better case finishing, better movement finishing (that you can actually see), more durable bezel and crystal, date function (albeit at 4), better made strap.

All that said, gun to my head, I'd still choose the Deepsea. Personally, I prefer the styling and clean dial (I have the Euro version), the case size is better proportioned and, most importantly, it has the unique memovox alarm function.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote