The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 May 2019, 06:20 AM   #721
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
[QUOTE=dkg1616;9614024]Well this happened this morning...just missing Tully and Greyjoy!

I initially was back and forth on going to the release as my local Liquor store was one of a couple doing it in the state. Turned out I had to work from home early AM, so was going to be in the office late anyway, so figured hell I’ll check the line. Managed to be 4th!! I originally was only going to get 1-2 bottles, but then I realized how crazy people were getting about the line and that they only had 6 full sets. So none the less the rest was history and walked out with 6/8. I feel that I have a full set as I have all the big names, and if I somehow come across the other two I’ll try and pick them up!

I picked up the whole set earlier this year when they were released. I cracked into the Stark and the Lannister with some friends who had their own bottles earlier this year. Luckily I got them all at retail, except one. I still see the Greyjoy and Tully around my local stores for about $40-50 each.

They're cool to have, but I'm honestly not a huge Scotch drinker so I might just hang on to them for a while. Or maybe an "end of series" tasting with a few buddies.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2019, 09:42 AM   #722
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Today’s haul... time to slow down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 03:41 PM   #723
Acanthurus
"TRF" Member

A few of the Karuizawa bottles gathering dust currently in my collection. I bought up big when these first came out through a contact that I had in thewhiskyexchange. It’s such a shame the way the market has gone these last few years as these really are fabulous whiskies to drink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3CB26995-BEC2-42EF-9D3C-ADC81E1A86CA.jpeg (110.1 KB, 336 views)
Acanthurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 12:20 AM   #724
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanthurus View Post
A few of the Karuizawa bottles gathering dust currently in my collection. I bought up big when these first came out through a contact that I had in thewhiskyexchange. It’s such a shame the way the market has gone these last few years as these really are fabulous whiskies to drink.
wow, this is on a whole other level... dude... i can't believe my eyes! here i am thinking the 12 year old suntory's i got are something special- you, sir, have just humbled me in a very big way haha. incredible...
and you're right, the market for japanese these days is absolutely devastating... sucks because there's so many i'd love to try.
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 01:52 AM   #725
RobearH
Banned

[QUOTE=ashbaug2;9616532]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Well this happened this morning...just missing Tully and Greyjoy!

I initially was back and forth on going to the release as my local Liquor store was one of a couple doing it in the state. Turned out I had to work from home early AM, so was going to be in the office late anyway, so figured hell I’ll check the line. Managed to be 4th!! I originally was only going to get 1-2 bottles, but then I realized how crazy people were getting about the line and that they only had 6 full sets. So none the less the rest was history and walked out with 6/8. I feel that I have a full set as I have all the big names, and if I somehow come across the other two I’ll try and pick them up!

I picked up the whole set earlier this year when they were released. I cracked into the Stark and the Lannister with some friends who had their own bottles earlier this year. Luckily I got them all at retail, except one. I still see the Greyjoy and Tully around my local stores for about $40-50 each.

They're cool to have, but I'm honestly not a huge Scotch drinker so I might just hang on to them for a while. Or maybe an "end of series" tasting with a few buddies.
I GOT the complete 9 bottle set yesterday including the JW WW frozen bottle.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 03:20 AM   #726
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:
Props for going deep on the Karuizawa. I can still remember the 32 year Noh that I had a few years ago. Literally the greatest whiskey I’ve ever tasted.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 04:10 PM   #727
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well done
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:36 PM   #728
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
talisker 18 is my fav
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 02:21 AM   #729
Acanthurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
wow, this is on a whole other level... dude... i can't believe my eyes! here i am thinking the 12 year old suntory's i got are something special- you, sir, have just humbled me in a very big way haha. incredible...
and you're right, the market for japanese these days is absolutely devastating... sucks because there's so many i'd love to try.
Thanks mate! A few years ago Japanese whisky really did represent amazing value for your money. Most of my Karuizawas were purchased for around the £200 mark, and once you have tried them it’s obvious why they caused such a stir a few years ago. I bought up as many as I could when I saw where things were heading, with the aim of having a few bottles up my sleeve to drink when I could no longer justify the price of buying new ones.

I had no idea however just how crazy things were going to get, and now I really can’t see myself opening any more bottles. So like most of these whiskies sadly do these days they sit on a shelf gathering dust, until I finally make a decision to sell or swap them to expand my watch collection!
Old 13 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #730
Acanthurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
Props for going deep on the Karuizawa. I can still remember the 32 year Noh that I had a few years ago. Literally the greatest whiskey I’ve ever tasted.
Cheers fusionstorm! To be honest my favourite whisky distillery will always be Port Ellen. Whilst Karuizawa is obviously very different taste wise, in a way it is similar in that there really isn’t anything else out there quite like it, and both are now extinct and almost inaccessible for those who want to drink and not collect. I can definitely agree that those 30 year old Noh bottlings are some of the best whiskies I’ve had the pleasure of drinking
Old 13 May 2019, 06:00 AM   #731
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
Happy Mother’s Day

JMtimes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 04:29 PM   #732
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMtimes5 View Post
Happy Mother’s Day
Nice
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 01:08 AM   #733
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Nice
Thanks!
Did you get the Oban? What are your thoughts?
JMtimes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:16 AM   #734
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Got these three over the weekend:

Especially stoked to add the sherry Mac 18- would love to add a Mac 25 at some point.
Also heard Bunnahabhain 25 will be available here again next month, so will need a bottle of that!
Anyone tried Blood Oath bourbon? Specifically Pact 4. If so, thoughts?
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 08:47 PM   #735
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Friday night here

Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 09:26 PM   #736
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMtimes5 View Post
Thanks!
Did you get the Oban? What are your thoughts?
Not yet. Still need to finish off two more bottles to get some room in the cabinet Will get it soon
Old 17 May 2019, 09:33 PM   #737
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Soon my precious...soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A4D354FA-3F70-4A85-92BB-D73807EF857E.jpeg (48.4 KB, 238 views)
Old 17 May 2019, 10:47 PM   #738
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Lagavoulin 16 is my favorite. If you are into that particular scotch too, I reccomend that you try a dram of Russels 10 year old (its Bourbon). They both have very similar flavor profiles.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 10:50 PM   #739
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Cristo View Post
Soon my precious...soon
Wow!
Old 17 May 2019, 11:28 PM   #740
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Was able to enjoy Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year and Lot B 12 year for my engagement yesterday! Wow is that stuff fantastic!
Old 17 May 2019, 11:57 PM   #741
ttk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
Couple recent pickups:

I loved everything I’ve tasted from Ichiro’s though I can mostly only afford the malt & grain. How was the 2018 U.S. edition?

ttk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 12:03 PM   #742
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
I love this thread and decided to join in. I found these today on a road trip to Nevada. They had 3 bottles of George T Stagg but couldn’t make myself pay the $499 price tag. Might head back and grab one if one of you enablers talks me into it especially since I passed on a bottle in December to pick up Pappy 12 and 15 for retail. Had to choose 2 only and missed the Stagg and William Larue Weller and Thomas Handy. Wish I had thought that through a little better. Thoughts?

Old 20 May 2019, 03:15 PM   #743
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodie9 View Post
I love this thread and decided to join in. I found these today on a road trip to Nevada. They had 3 bottles of George T Stagg but couldn’t make myself pay the $499 price tag. Might head back and grab one if one of you enablers talks me into it especially since I passed on a bottle in December to pick up Pappy 12 and 15 for retail. Had to choose 2 only and missed the Stagg and William Larue Weller and Thomas Handy. Wish I had thought that through a little better. Thoughts?

That's a steep price for Stagg, and honestly I'd probably seek out the Stagg Jr first. I think the BTACs are fine and dandy when had at MSRP, but I couldn't justify paying those crazy secondary prices for them when I actually drink my stuff. If you're setting it on a shelf and taking pictures for Instagram to show off...? Well, probably not even then.

That Kentucky Owl Rye is delicious. I am probably going to pick up another bottle so I have a backup for when I run dry. The others are all fairly standard for me. Northern Nevada's whiskey selection is pretty decent and I can walk in and get those no problems; even the KO Rye is sitting on several shelves (the price probably puts a lot of people off). Michter's is always a good choice, and Eagle Rare is one of my daily pours, so good....
Old 20 May 2019, 03:44 PM   #744
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Just got a couple of “Spot” Irish whiskeys

Yellow spot 12 year
Red spot 15 year.

Looking forward to cracking them open.

Has anyone tried them?
Old 21 May 2019, 02:34 AM   #745
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
That's a steep price for Stagg, and honestly I'd probably seek out the Stagg Jr first. I think the BTACs are fine and dandy when had at MSRP, but I couldn't justify paying those crazy secondary prices for them when I actually drink my stuff. If you're setting it on a shelf and taking pictures for Instagram to show off...? ell, probably not even then.

That Kentucky Owl Rye is delicious. I am probably going to pick up another bottle so I have a backup for when I run dry. The others are all fairly standard for me. Northern Nevada's whiskey selection is pretty decent and I can walk in and get those no problems; even the KO Rye is sitting on several shelves (the price probably puts a lot of people off). Michter's is always a good choice, and Eagle Rare is one of my daily pours, so good....
Good to know. I'll just wait until November and choose one or two of the BTAC bottles at that time for retail. The funny thing is that I have overlooked the Kentucky Owl for years not knowing anything about it until reading this thread. Very good information on here. Thanks
Old 21 May 2019, 03:44 AM   #746
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Some pick ups from Banff... finally was able to find some!!

Old 21 May 2019, 03:52 AM   #747
kdevor
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167A-001
JW Ghost & Rare First Edition

Just picked up a bottle, tried it and then went back for the second but it was already claimed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1300.jpg (83.4 KB, 166 views)
kdevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:39 AM   #748
ashbaug2
Banned

I’ve been a JD fan since before I was allowed to drink (my dad gave me some Gentleman’s Jack on my high school graduation, and it was my favorite thru college; being stationed near the distillery in JD country didn’t help me fight my cravings, either...). I’ve got several bottles of different stuff lying around. I found this a couple of weeks ago at a local place for $100, wasn’t sure about secondary pricing as most of their other stuff was ridiculous, but I found it goes for way higher online (upwards of $250-300), so I went back today and picked it up.

It had a heavier barrel char and is aged in the highest floors of the highest rickhouse on the property, giving it the warmth it needs to move throughout the oak. This one has some of the most consistently-high reviews I’ve found. Really looking forward to trying it and comparing it to my Single Barrel and the Barrel Proof I have laying around.

Old 21 May 2019, 07:49 AM   #749
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Just recently.

Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:50 AM   #750
schwoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
Just recently.

same here, haven’t tried it yet. Paid $129. Hope it’s worth the price.
schwoo is offline   Reply With Quote