The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 October 2016, 07:09 AM   #1
SubCfan
"TRF" Member

Another warranty card question

I recently purchased a brand new Rolex Datejust from an unauthorized Rolex dealer. The watch came with the new 5 year warranty green tag and a card stamped from an authorized dealer. The card besides having the dealers stamp on it, only has the date hand written, no name of purchaser. My two questions are:
1) I'm assuming in the unfortunate chance I may need to bring the watch to Rolex for any kind of warranty work, they are going to expect a name on it? So should I put my name on the card?
2) on the flip side, if I decided down the road to sell or flip the watch would the card be more valuable in the future to a new buyer if my name wasn't on the card (blank)?
SubCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 08:02 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

This has been discussed before, you're fine just the way it is. This has been the general feeling here provided the dealer scanned the card in (odds seem to favor they did). NYC Rolex can be tedious, so simply use a different service center for warranty work.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 11:46 AM   #3
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
What if a watch is sold during warranty period and a name was written/signed. Does that void the warranty or must it be transferred by RSC?
(Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.)

-----------------------------------
SS OysterDate Precision 6694
TT DateJust 69173
TT GMT IIc 116713LN
SS Prince Tudor OysterDate w/ T&Co branding 74000
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 12:04 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The name means nothing. As long as card is activated warranty is active for the watch and follows the watch.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 12:11 PM   #5
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Name means nothing. Some rsc may require you to put your name on card before they will service for warranty work.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 01:58 PM   #6
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The name means nothing. As long as card is activated warranty is active for the watch and follows the watch.
Thanks so much...I appreciate the guidance!
One of the many reasons I love TRF!
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 07:25 PM   #7
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Rolex expects the AD to put a name on the card when they sell the watch. But as others have alrady said, the warranty follows the watch.

However, if you do have to submit the warranty card to RSC at some point you might want to write your name on it to keep the AD out of trouble. The reason there is no name on it is because it was probably sold to a grey market broker and ADs are not supposed to do that. So having a name on it will avoid any issues if someone at an RSC feels like they should make an issue out of it. Not sure if they will, but just covering for the AD. The guy you bought it from probably should have put your name on it to keep his source out of trouble.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2016, 01:43 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCfan View Post
I recently purchased a brand new Rolex Datejust from an unauthorized Rolex dealer. The watch came with the new 5 year warranty green tag and a card stamped from an authorized dealer. The card besides having the dealers stamp on it, only has the date hand written, no name of purchaser. My two questions are:
1) I'm assuming in the unfortunate chance I may need to bring the watch to Rolex for any kind of warranty work, they are going to expect a name on it? So should I put my name on the card?
2) on the flip side, if I decided down the road to sell or flip the watch would the card be more valuable in the future to a new buyer if my name wasn't on the card (blank)?
1. Rolex doesn't care what name is on the card, only that the card is valid.

2. No, the card doesn't become more valuable with/without a name.

It has become more common to not put a name on those cards, likely because they change hands a lot more than in the past.