The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 October 2016, 05:03 PM   #1
nwalker
"TRF" Member

The Rolex Brand

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted a Rolex.

At the age of 53 I finally got my first one, A Rolex Explorer.

But it got me thinking about what it was that turned me on to wanting one at such an early age.

TBH I can't remember the trigger, but think it must have been something to do with the Rolex Brand and the aspiration of being the type of person who could own one in the future.

What made you want a Rolex?
nwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
Welcome. I have always collected low to mid tier watches and fascinated by them all to be honest. As a luxury brand, Rolex was never on the radar for me till last year. I am now 46 and have an SD4K and BLNR. I do really like the brand, they have a unique look and are all distinctly Rolex. What made me buy? I don't know but i have to say after owning many Swiss brands, i finally understood the Rolex marquee. I get it now. I used to think that a Rolex was a bit flash or bought by those wanting to pose. Whilst that may be true, for me it's the look, quality and how they make me feel. Good luck, nice watch and look out, it may not be your last!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 06:14 PM   #3
batterseaboys
"TRF" Member

One usually leads to another, I got mine at 34 , I had been given a citizen watch which I wore out and then thought I,ve worked hard my why not, I got a Submariner from Leslie Davis in Oxford street. I would always recommend buying from a authorised dealer don,t haggle just luxuriate in the experience, you've earnt it
batterseaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 06:49 PM   #4
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Three words... Bond. James Bond. Like many of my passions, Bond sparked an interest then my natural curiosity took me further down the rabbit hole (bit of a mixed reference there).

Less flippantly, Rolex came on to my radar as a result of the Bond films. A bit of research and I discovered the absolute beauty of almost all Rolex watches. A bit more research and I became enchanted with the skill and precision of mechanical watches.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
In my case it was all those old Rolex adverts in National Geographic. They made the watches look so glamorous and interesting by associating them with adventure and exploration. I wish someone would put together a book of all those old adverts.
Old 27 October 2016, 07:11 PM   #6
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Mine was 2 fold.

Firstly my childhood. As a young child my best friend’s dad was a deep sea diver. He wore a Rolex Submariner. I have a very fond memory of going to the swimming baths with him. He would stand at the side of the pool and throw his watch in to the middle of the pool. My friend and I would then dive in and race to see who could get to it first before it hit the bottom.

Secondly was obviously 007 !! We all secretly want to be Bond right?
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 07:45 PM   #7
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
It wasn't any of the Bond references for me when I was a child. It was all of the non fictional heros I had that wore them.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 08:05 PM   #8
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
Three words... Bond. James Bond. Like many of my passions, Bond sparked an interest then my natural curiosity took me further down the rabbit hole (bit of a mixed reference there).

Less flippantly, Rolex came on to my radar as a result of the Bond films. A bit of research and I discovered the absolute beauty of almost all Rolex watches. A bit more research and I became enchanted with the skill and precision of mechanical watches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
In my case it was all those old Rolex adverts in National Geographic. They made the watches look so glamorous and interesting by associating them with adventure and exploration. I wish someone would put together a book of all those old adverts.
These
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 08:31 PM   #9
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Mine was 2 fold.

Firstly my childhood. As a young child my best friend’s dad was a deep sea diver. He wore a Rolex Submariner. I have a very fond memory of going to the swimming baths with him. He would stand at the side of the pool and throw his watch in to the middle of the pool. My friend and I would then dive in and race to see who could get to it first before it hit the bottom.

Secondly was obviously 007 !! We all secretly want to be Bond right?
Not much secretly about it! Still waiting for the call and the keys to the company Aston Martin!

Side story; my wife, knowing how much of a Bond fan I am suggested hiring a former Bond car as our wedding car. I called the company to get a quote and just ask for details. I had a good chat with the guy that owned the company. At the end of our conversation he said, "Do you have any more questions?" and before I could even draw breath he said, "No we don't still have the ejector seat for your mother-in-law!"
Old 27 October 2016, 08:35 PM   #10
mapalfa
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Quote:
... "No we don't still have the ejector seat for your mother-in-law!"
Mine doesn't need one, we always make sure her broomstick is to hand
mapalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 09:13 PM   #11
Chrispare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
It wasn't any of the Bond references for me when I was a child. It was all of the non fictional heros I had that wore them.
The same for me
Chrispare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 09:17 PM   #12
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not much secretly about it! Still waiting for the call and the keys to the company Aston Martin!

Side story; my wife, knowing how much of a Bond fan I am suggested hiring a former Bond car as our wedding car. I called the company to get a quote and just ask for details. I had a good chat with the guy that owned the company. At the end of our conversation he said, "Do you have any more questions?" and before I could even draw breath he said, "No we don't still have the ejector seat for your mother-in-law!"

I too looked at hiring a DB5 for our wedding car but my wife soon discounted it when she saw the price!

As a side story to your side story. The watch guru (he did a fantastic video about watch collectors that a member posted on here a while back) and who has a watch store in London had the actual Omega Seamaster worn by Q (Desmond Llewelyn) in the film but sadly it was POA.
Old 27 October 2016, 09:23 PM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I liked the way a Submariner looked
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 09:26 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I definately had an interest in watches grim a young age.

I still remember that moment when I saw a Rolex SeaDweller in a shop window (my then local AD).

I knew I had to have it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 09:44 PM   #15
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
My first memory of any Rolex was actually from the film The Deep with Nick Nolte.

I didn't think much about then to be honest as they were never an option for me due to the price. As soon as I could afford one the passion returned and looks like it is here to stay!!
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 09:59 PM   #16
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
I too looked at hiring a DB5 for our wedding car but my wife soon discounted it when she saw the price!

As a side story to your side story. The watch guru (he did a fantastic video about watch collectors that a member posted on here a while back) and who has a watch store in London had the actual Omega Seamaster worn by Q (Desmond Llewelyn) in the film but sadly it was POA.
I've seen it on their website... it's filed in the "lottery win" category in my head. Along with the commemorative collectors Seamasters that have been released... Cheesy but true love often is!

Do you have a favourite Bond film?
Old 27 October 2016, 10:27 PM   #17
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
I never wanted one till I tried one. Before I tried one I could have sworn that I would never own a Rolex cause I saw it as a Yuppie watch.... But when I tried one out, I just fell in love instantly and since then its been almost all Rolex. All the sportmodels in different dial variations, ages, conditions etc. I've probably had 6-7 different Exploreres and ditto GMT Masters...
BawlaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 10:34 PM   #18
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I've always loved watches. Both my grandfather and father had DateJust's when I was a kid. My parents bought me one when I graduated from university. I still have it 28 years later. Where I'm from, there are few who notice watches and even fewer who know what a Rolex costs. Most would know the name but I've never been asked about my watch.
Truthfully, I didn't know much about the brand until I went on this forum. I've bought 3 since joining this forum, one of which was for my wife.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 10:38 PM   #19
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you have a favourite Bond film?

No favourite for me.

Just love everything about them collectively. Not a huge fan of the Daniel Craig films however. I feel they've lost some of the things that makes Bond great. Some of the magic.

Sadly, my dad was also a Bond fan hence my name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 October 2016, 11:03 PM   #20
Goin2drt
Banned

My Dad got me into watches at a very young age. I think I was wearing watches when I learned how to tell time.

Back then the Rolex was just the watch. You had made it if you could own a Rolex.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 11:09 PM   #21
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have been a watch nut since I got my first watch.
A Zoro, my superhero from my childhood.
Like the rest of the outfit it was black. I still have one.
So I guess you would say I have always been attracted to black dials.
Most of my Rolexes have had black dials. From my DJ to SD.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 11:13 PM   #22
pampam
"TRF" Member

Rolex = watch movement toughness, reliability, look, professionalism, respect and heirloom.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2016, 11:30 PM   #23
goldenpauls
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
In my case I was a late starter........I have bought Rolexes (various lady DJ) for the wife for about 20 years but until a couple of years ago I had no real interest and just wore a Tissot Titanium every day. Not sure what the trigger was, but it might have been when she had her first 'mans' watch in 2013 (36mm DD) and as we are both approx 7" wrist I would use it occasionally. It must have sparked an interest as I have bought a few since then and now really like most of the 5 digit series SS sports models.......sold a Zenith Daytona as, approaching the big 60, I couldn't see the time on it !!..........and will probably sell my mint Polar Explorer II 16570 but can't see me ever parting with the Sub 14060M 2-liner which took over as my everyday wearer.
Strange how you can go 57 years with no real interest in watches then be bitten by the bug.......
goldenpauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 12:14 AM   #24
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I have no idea what turned me to Rolex. You know the Rolex name even if you aren't into watches. Growing up I just always knew "Rolex was the best watch you could buy". When I actually got into watches (able to afford them) I realized this was not the case, but I just had to have a Submariner. For me it is the perfect watch.

I really appreciate the Rolex brand, the way they do things and they just make a damn fine watch.
Old 28 October 2016, 12:19 AM   #25
the_natural
"TRF" Member

I really liked watches when I was a kid. Fast forward 20 years, during which time I didn't think anything about them, and my brother turned me on to Rolex. That was this past spring. After months of research, a quick fling with a high value (and generally nice) Hamilton Khaki, I got my first Rolex, 2nd gen Explorer I.

But what really sold me was the research into Rolex; the manufacturing process, the integration, and the total commitment to quality. I'm a fanboy now.

I've said up and down (on here as well) that I'm a one watch guy, but that's unlikely because now I have the gimmies for Rolex. I don't want to spend money on anything else; no more cars, I don't care about chi-chi clothes or shoes, electronics, don't care for any of it -- I just want Rolexes.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 12:21 AM   #26
dreamcar88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334 dj blue dia
my dad worked at the Philly airport and would bring home fake ones. He said you want to wear a rolex? I used to be teased at school when i was younger for wearing a fake one so I got myself a real one. When i got my real one i sent a pic to my father and he said " is it real" lmao!!! quality> quantity

james_richardson88 instagram
dreamcar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 12:31 AM   #27
srtown
Banned

Watch: 116333 slate dial
I think I had a progression of collecting. I had a couple watches then bought a tissot chronograph and put it on the Bond NATO strap. I then bought my first automatic which was a Hamilton dress watch. I thought it was a great looking watch for the money. Then I wanted a robust diver that was somewhat unique. While I wanted the Omega PO I ended up buying an Oris Pointer Moon because I was heavily drawn to the aesthetic and also it seemed like great bang for the buck (it is a tank). Rolex seemed like the next natural progression. Many say their regret is not starting with Rolex sooner, which I understand, but some of us need to get our feet wet before we can drop 5-10k on a watch. That said I will likely pick up a Hulk at some point and rotate it as my daily with the Oris.
srtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 12:32 AM   #28
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Part of the "uniform"...

As many others for me it started early with my father and his watch "collection". I remember him explaining to me that his watches "wound themselves" from being worn and at some point I became old enough to have "the job" of wearing his watch around the house on weekends to keep it wound for him.

As I grew old enough to understand and recognize certain items of quality in cars, clothing, resturants, etc... it was clear that the watch of choice among those in "the club" in which I wanted to belong was quite often Rolex and now full member in good standing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160608_155559.jpg (65.5 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg 20160223_164807 (1).jpg (60.6 KB, 362 views)
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 12:32 AM   #29
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Always equated Rolex with being the best watch brand.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2016, 01:04 AM   #30
hbk25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Blue
The Alec Baldwin scene in Glengarry Glenn Ross

Skip to like the 4 mins mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PE2hSqVnk
hbk25 is offline   Reply With Quote