The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 January 2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Wiener48
Banned

Most important, interesting and/or collectable GMT?

What you think, what is your opinion and what what must the watch have on details, papers and condition? And why you like it most?

References:

My personal, 6542 or 1675, more the 1675 in clean condition with nearly all paperwork. At the Moment I am focused on a nearly perfect 1961 1675 with reall good history and fantastic papers (original invoice etc.,...).

Also what are the top prices, results for each reference?

I'm curious about your opinions...
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 10:06 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
To me condition is everything. Box and papers bonus but condition is key.

Hard to make a list but let’s try.. Things that will change the list is unique features such as a tropical dial or double name such as Tiffany, SyL, etc. Military watches as UAE eagle, FAP or blueberry bezels are also difficult to place in. Gold versions are of course also interesting and a story itself.

Assuming condition is perfect:

Early 6542 with long hour hand and red depth gilt
Later 6542 gilt
First OCC dial 1675 gilt
Double swiss non-chapter gilt
Normal chapter ring with underline gilt
Normal chapter ring without gilt
Standard non-chapter underline gilt
Last series gilt
Radial matte
Everything else matte 1675
Matte 16750
WG 16750
Sapphire models

I am probably forgetting something and I am sure not everyone agrees. There are so many configurations.. Anything top condition gilt will make most collectors superhappy.

Prices are impossible to say. Great 6542’s with perfect bakelite are 100k+ and great gilt 1675’s start at 30-35k but can go much, much higher depending on example and configuration.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Wiener48
Banned

Thats an answer for the first posting, grazie, interesting!

Sorry to ask, what is Matte 1675 and First OCC dial 1675?

Personaly I dont like UAE, Militare etc., but thats only me.

So, you think the first two series are the most importants?
Old 5 January 2018, 10:20 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiener48 View Post
Thats an answer for the first posting, grazie, interesting!

Sorry to ask, what is Matte 1675 and First OCC dial 1675?

Personaly I dont like UAE, Militare etc., but thats only me.

So, you think the first two series are the most importants?
Well.. Old style gilt dials are glossy lacquered and made in a very unique way. They were used until around 1967 when matte dials replaced them. Matte dials was then used until the 80’s. They are just very different compared to gilt dials.

OCC is just a version where the text said Officially Certified Cronometer instead of Superlative Cronometer Officially Certified (SCOC). You only saw these on 6542’s and the very first 1675’s until 1960.

Personally I think basically everything gilt in great condition is important. Even great condition matte models are very collectable nowdays.
Old 5 January 2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Wiener48
Banned

understand, thank you, interesting.
Old 5 January 2018, 12:31 PM   #6
waspy1
Banned

I can’t disagree much with what you’ve been told by roh123 but do note that the 1675 is far more wearable than the 6542. The Bakelite bezel makes the 6542 a museum piece unless you get an aftermarket bezel. Which generally spoils the look.

With full set b&p and great condition gilt, be prepared for prices well over 40k usd.

Here’s my 1675 chapter ring with ex dot. No papers but that’s not important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 01:06 PM   #7
exador
Banned

I settled on a 16750 w/matte dial because it gives the vintage vibe while being more suitable as a daily wearer than a 4-digit.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Autavian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
but do note that the 1675 is far more wearable than the 6542. The Bakelite bezel makes the 6542 a museum piece unless you get an aftermarket bezel. Which generally spoils the look.

I kind of disagree here a little bit. I wear my 1959 Tropic 6542 OCC Daily with a nice aftermarket Bakelite bezel and I don’t think it spoils the look one bit....... what are your guys thoughts?

The original, and perfectly matching Bakelite naps in the safe, while this one can take its day to day licks. It’s actually a perfect aftermarket for daily wearing. Another plus is that under UV it matches the dial and hands perfectly. Now one thing I wouldn’t do, is wear the original Bakelite. They are super fragile and delicate and not worth risking injury.

Waspy, your GMT is gorgeous btw! Lovely piece.

GMTs in my opinion are gorgeous and perfect for the wrist. They sit lower in profile and are not big and bulky like some subs, although I love no CG subs 6536/1 and 5508s as well as early 5512/5513 gilts too. Well and 1680 reds and non reds, god I love em all to be honest. Lol. Vintage sports models just carry a swag about them. They are not for everyone, but when you see one on someone’s wrist ( I am a habitual wrist stalker) then you know that person has taste :D and you can’t help but to stop and spark up a convo.

Quick edit, for those who would like to see the original Bakelite, which was birth with this watch

GMTs and becoming more and more popular and the market price is clearly reflecting that.

Awesome thread!

Happy ‘18 folks

E

Email:Autaviano@gmail.com

Last edited by Autavian; 5 January 2018 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Added picture
Autavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 02:46 PM   #9
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autavian View Post
I kind of disagree here a little bit. I wear my 1959 Tropic 6542 OCC Daily with a nice aftermarket Bakelite bezel and I don’t think it spoils the look one bit....... what do you guys think??

The original, and perfectly matching Bakelite naps in the safe, while this one can take its day to day licks. It’s actually a perfect aftermarket for daily wearing. Another plus is that under UV it matches the dial and hands perfectly. Now one thing I wouldn’t do, is wear the original Bakelite. They are super fragile and delicate and not worth risking injury.

GMTs in my opinion are gorgeous and perfect for the wrist. They sit lower in profile and are not big and bulky like some subs, although I love no CG subs 6536/1 and 5508s as well as early 5512/5513 gilts too. Well and 1680 reds and non reds, god I love em all to be honest. Lol. Vintage sports models just carry a swag about them. They are not for everyone, but when you see one on someone’s wrist ( I am a habitual wrist stalker) then you know that person has taste :D and you can’t help but to stop and spark up a convo.

Quick edit, for those who would like to see the original Bakelite, which was birth with this watch

GMTs and becoming more and more popular and the market price is clearly reflecting that.

Awesome thread!

Happy ‘18 folks

E

I agree, the aftermarket bezel looks good there. It’s a shame to have a lot of value tied up in the bezel though when it’s so rarely seen. I think the correct answer here (as is usually the case), our need both. 6542 and 1675!

Old 5 January 2018, 03:08 PM   #10
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
I just purchased a Rootbeer Slate Serti to join my Milgauss GV. Two oddballs but I love them.
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 03:55 PM   #11
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
I just purchased a Rootbeer Slate Serti to join my Milgauss GV. Two oddballs but I love them.

Definitely not something you see every day. I have the slate sub and I really like it for a change of pace.

Old 5 January 2018, 10:07 PM   #12
Wiener48
Banned

Cool pics, thank you, interesting.
Old 5 January 2018, 11:16 PM   #13
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Double Swiss Underline dial 1675 GMT from 1963.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2827.jpg (88.7 KB, 1919 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 12:59 AM   #14
Wiener48
Banned

@lee, looks great, like it
Old 6 January 2018, 01:04 AM   #15
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I kind of disagree here a little bit. I wear my 1959 Tropic 6542 OCC Daily with a nice aftermarket Bakelite bezel and I don’t think it spoils the look one bit....... what are your guys thoughts?

Awesome thread!

Happy ‘18 folks

E
Wow! How nerve-racking was it to remove/handle from the bezel?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 06:53 AM   #16
Wiener48
Banned

Cool Pictures, go on please....
Old 6 January 2018, 07:01 AM   #17
roh123
"TRF" Member

My current GMT is not the most coveted version but it is for sure one of the best late gilts I’ve seen. If it is allowed to brag..

Old 6 January 2018, 07:07 AM   #18
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
My current GMT is not the most coveted version but it is for sure one of the best late gilts I’ve seen. If it is allowed to brag..

Please feel free to Brag away , I would if I owned one
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 07:38 AM   #19
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post

Looks great. I had an older Root Beer with the standard radial bronze dial and loved it. That is, until I flipped it with another piece for a YG Daytona

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 07:58 AM   #20
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To me condition is everything. Box and papers bonus but condition is key.

Hard to make a list but let’s try.. Things that will change the list is unique features such as a tropical dial or double name such as Tiffany, SyL, etc. Military watches as UAE eagle, FAP or blueberry bezels are also difficult to place in. Gold versions are of course also interesting and a story itself.

Assuming condition is perfect:

Early 6542 with long hour hand and red depth gilt
Later 6542 gilt
First OCC dial 1675 gilt
Double swiss non-chapter gilt
Normal chapter ring with underline gilt
Normal chapter ring without gilt
Standard non-chapter underline gilt
Last series gilt
Radial matte
Everything else matte 1675
Matte 16750
WG 16750
Sapphire models

I am probably forgetting something and I am sure not everyone agrees. There are so many configurations.. Anything top condition gilt will make most collectors superhappy.

Prices are impossible to say. Great 6542’s with perfect bakelite are 100k+ and great gilt 1675’s start at 30-35k but can go much, much higher depending on example and configuration.
so you've given this some thought?

Quote:

Awesome thread!

Happy ‘18 folks

E
Enjoy it! To be frank, I have given this some thought with my own watches (ie wearing a service bezel on a 6263 for instance) but I can't do it. It just bothers me and can't live with something like that. Problem is it makes 6542 an almost unwearable watch...
Old 6 January 2018, 08:02 AM   #21
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

My gmt. Have a good weekend

Old 6 January 2018, 08:07 AM   #22
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
so you've given this some thought?

Quote:
Enjoy it! To be frank, I have given this some thought with my own watches (ie wearing a service bezel on a 6263 for instance) but I can't do it. It just bothers me and can't live with something like that. Problem is it makes 6542 an almost unwearable watch...
I agree. I had a nice 6542 which came to me without bakelite. I got a nice aftermarket bezel for it but I always felt it was a compromize somehow. I tried finding a matching bezel but in the end I couldn't pull the trigger for a 35k piece of plastic which I wouldn't use. It felt like it was either to keep it as a safe queen only with the correct bakelite mounted or using the watch with the aftermarket that bothered me. In the end I sold it and bought a 1675 instead..

Still super jelous of Autavians 6542. Killer watch. Took some guts to remove that bakelite from the bezel..

Quote:

My gmt. Have a good weekend
Pretty much the best 1675 in the world. Incredible condition.
Old 6 January 2018, 08:48 AM   #23
Wiener48
Banned

What you think how many 6542 and 1675 are still existing in very good, mostly original condition with good papers? 10-20% ?
Old 6 January 2018, 08:52 AM   #24
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiener48 View Post
What you think how many 6542 and 1675 are still existing in very good, mostly original condition with good papers? 10-20% ?
Much less.
Old 6 January 2018, 09:58 AM   #25
Paul
"TRF" Member

Any GMT is a good GMT ....

Nice to see them fellas. Here's mine. Eagle eyes will spot some flaws.

The PCG 1675 needs a mini-GMT hand - I have one sitting here.

The matte dial 1675 is someone else's abandoned project, now getting dusty in my projects bin (misaligned hands and very poor time-keeping).

And the dial on my 6542 has gone a bit weird. I'll get it refinished one day .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMTS2...final2.jpg (265.3 KB, 1807 views)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 10:14 AM   #26
Paul
"TRF" Member

Struggling for a better pic ;-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg yut.jpg (286.0 KB, 1799 views)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 04:36 AM   #27
Wiener48
Banned

Quote:

Incredibile!!!!
Old 7 January 2018, 04:40 AM   #28
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Amazing examples guys, keep em coming
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 04:47 AM   #29
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT