The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 April 2019, 10:43 PM   #121
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Good for you for recognizing that you’re one of the people that are better off not drinking at all. I know a handful of old friends who should be in the same boat but aren’t. I think one guy is a teetotaler at home and goes bonkers on the tail end of business trips and infrequent boys weekends. I worry about him. He’s a high flyer and has a nice career that could be easily derailed. Of course, he thinks he’s fine.

十人十色
Old 27 April 2019, 10:47 PM   #122
Mohawkman450
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
I drank for a long time ! Trust me your not missing anything ! Stay positive
Old 27 April 2019, 11:10 PM   #123
dan993
"TRF" Member

For me reading this thread now is making me seriously consider my habits of abusing various substances. I am 43 and over the last 3 years or so I have gained 20kg in weight. I think nothing of drinking a bottle of vodka 70cl sometimes 100cl and function what I feel to be perfectly on a day to day business. I run a small family business and deal with customers in a face to face scenario most days. However reading the responses to the OP I am starting to realise that I don't believe this can continue. I need to think this through.
Old 27 April 2019, 11:11 PM   #124
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I stopped drinking at 16... ive had a shot here or there since then but generally dry. Been happier since. Im the guy at cocktail events with a diet coke
Old 28 April 2019, 01:04 AM   #125
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterwatchit View Post
I recall this thread so thought I’d revive.

While I never drink during the week, I often finish a bottle of wine on Friday and Saturday.

I’ve read so much about the negative long term health impact of alcohol (cancer etc ...), I can’t help thinking alcohol will soon be the new tobacco so to speak.

So, I’ve decided to just quit. Don’t know how easy or hard this might be. I’ve kind of got into the habit of wine relaxing me after a long week ... will have to find something else ...

How did others who just stopped find it?

Stopping before the first drink was never a problem. Stopping after the first drink was rarely successful.
Old 28 April 2019, 01:16 AM   #126
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s a crazy situation. I’m glad no one was hurt.

I’m a social drinker, and I love a lot of things about alcohol particularly the social aspects of drinking but in a responsible way. I enjoy the taste of good wine with food, or a martini (or three) with salty snacks, beer with barbecue... you get the idea.

I’ve never had the urge to over drink or drink purely for the buzz effect. I guess that’s just me. FWIW my brother is an alcoholic, so maybe I come by my moderation honestly.
I'm the same, I've just never taken to alcohol, only really enjoy a nice glass of red with a nice steak or lamb rack etc. I did drink when younger to be sociable and I guess I would have taken some Dutch courage to talk to girls back in the day, but outside of that I see it mainly as a masker or a coping mechanism for people with issues, used like food, sleeping around or drugs. The underlying issues need to be dealt with more than the symptoms.
Old 28 April 2019, 01:17 AM   #127
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I stopped drinking at 16... ive had a shot here or there since then but generally dry. Been happier since. Im the guy at cocktail events with a diet coke
That's me I never drink. And don't care to be around people who are. It's amazing the change in people, even after just one drink.
Old 28 April 2019, 04:29 AM   #128
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I read the thread from the start and makes really interesting reading.

I don't drink at work, which can be anything from 6 weeks to 6 months without an alcoholic drink. It doesn't bother me at all.

I do love sitting in the garden with a G&T on an evening if the weather is nice with the wife. Or in the winter sitting with a beer and maybe a small malt in front of the fire, whilst the better half has a wine.

Enjoy a couple of beers on a Monday at my club when on leave with my pals.

I won't even have a half of beer if i am driving, wont take the chance. My social circle are of the same attitude. So there is never an issue of being seen as a non drinker.

I have a good friend (Professional type) who is a reformed alcoholic and he loves nothing better than to watch people who can have that 1-2 beers and enjoy themselves. He can't, its all or nothing for him. He was able to acknowledge his problem and address it. Proper credit to the lad.

Moderation is the key to most things i think. Nobody likes a drunk is the old saying.
Old 28 April 2019, 04:48 AM   #129
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
12 years sober. There’s a solution. You never have to take another drink again and in time the obsession with alcohol will pass. Looks like you’re in Chicago. If you think you’re an alcoholic, give it a try. It saved my life.
https://www.chicagoaa.org/find-a-meeting
Old 28 April 2019, 04:51 AM   #130
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Was 6 years ago for me April 21st - best decision I ever made.

But I agree with an earlier comment, cigarettes were much harder.....
Old 28 April 2019, 08:40 AM   #131
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
I drink to make other people more interesting.
Old 28 April 2019, 10:33 AM   #132
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln View Post
12 years sober. There’s a solution. You never have to take another drink again and in time the obsession with alcohol will pass. Looks like you’re in Chicago. If you think you’re an alcoholic, give it a try. It saved my life.
25 years 12/27. Save my life too.
Old 28 April 2019, 11:07 AM   #133
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Was 6 years ago for me April 21st - best decision I ever made. But I agree with an earlier comment, cigarettes were much harder.....
Last drink March 16th, 1987. What's strange though is that I can smoke like a fiend for two weeks on hunting or motorcycle trips, then stop and not smoke again until the next summer. I could always take it or leave it when it came to smoking.
Old 28 April 2019, 11:31 AM   #134
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Went cold turkey nearly 2 years ago at age 54. I was a social drinker in college and thereafter, however I was drinking more often, more in general, and harder liquor, too.

It was not difficult, still have the same friends and still go out. I just enjoy a club soda and lemon on the town.

Waaaaay better!

Sometimes I think I should have done this 10 years earlier, but oh well.

I went back to a few old hobbies of mine, found new things to do and would NEVER consider a drink again.

NFW.

Teetotaling is the new black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here I am again and not a drop to drink still. Pushing on 1000 days sober.

It is awesome.

Old 28 April 2019, 01:40 PM   #135
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
i read this entire thread with interest and i don't drink any alcohol. not that i ever had a problem with alcohol but i find it unnecessary in all settings. i also have no problems being in settings where people around me feel it necessary.

however i suppose i can understand people who willingly integrate alcohol consumption into their lives. why...just last weekend i was sitting on the beach after a tough week of work and thought...jeez too bad i didn't have the waiter bring me a nice stiff drink as i love sipping some good aged lacquer thinner on the rocks. it helps me unwind.

life is short so stop kidding yourselves. if anyone is thinking about, formulating explanations or making excuses for their alcohol consumption then fu#%in stop, or get help to stop as you're an accident waiting to happen.
Old 29 April 2019, 04:55 AM   #136
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
Old 29 April 2019, 04:56 AM   #137
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Last drink March 16th, 1987. What's strange though is that I can smoke like a fiend for two weeks on hunting or motorcycle trips, then stop and not smoke again until the next summer. I could always take it or leave it when it came to smoking.
Old 29 April 2019, 04:57 AM   #138
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It is awesome.

Congrats!!
Old 29 April 2019, 08:48 AM   #139
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln View Post
Quote:
Was 6 years ago for me April 21st - best decision I ever made.

But I agree with an earlier comment, cigarettes were much harder.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Quote:

It is awesome.

Outstanding!!
Old 29 April 2019, 09:03 AM   #140
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Never was a drinker. Always the DD. I’ll have a beer or two over the summer if it hits me right. Otherwise, just not my thing.
Old 29 April 2019, 01:06 PM   #141
maylebox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was 6 years ago for me April 21st - best decision I ever made...…..

January 7th was 6 years for me.

I told my buddies that the drinking gods allotted me 50,000 drinks in my lifetime and I used them up by the time I turned 50 (doing the math I'm realizing this not as big of an exaggeration as I meant it to be) :)

When I quit a few people would ask "Why can't you just go out and have one or two drinks or beers?" Truth is I never understood having one or two drinks. To me I really couldn't see the point. I mean why drink if you're not drinking to get buzzed? I suppose that means it's a good thing I stopped drinking.

Alcohol had a huge presence in my life so when I quit clearly it took some time to make the adjustment. Hell, 6 years later I'm still adjusting, but it's the best thing I've ever done for myself and for those I love.
Old 29 April 2019, 01:25 PM   #142
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maylebox View Post
January 7th was 6 years for me.

I told my buddies that the drinking gods allotted me 50,000 drinks in my lifetime and I used them up by the time I turned 50 (doing the math I'm realizing this not as big of an exaggeration as I meant it to be) :)

When I quit a few people would ask "Why can't you just go out and have one or two drinks or beers?" Truth is I never understood having one or two drinks. To me I really couldn't see the point. I mean why drink if you're not drinking to get buzzed? I suppose that means it's a good thing I stopped drinking.

Alcohol had a huge presence in my life so when I quit clearly it took some time to make the adjustment. Hell, 6 years later I'm still adjusting, but it's the best thing I've ever done for myself and for those I love.
Congrats! I never had “one” drink in my life.
Old 29 April 2019, 01:48 PM   #143
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Great thread and trying to stay off alcohol.

Went off it for a week and felt fantastic.

Mind was sharp, speech was clear. (I found that my speech was slurring, even without drinking)

Was drinking 6 days a week, 3-6 beers a day.
Old 29 April 2019, 06:31 PM   #144
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'm lucky to be a normy. I'm also very lucky to grow up in a home with program. I've been in the "other program" for over 20 years (the one for family and friends) and try to make at least one meeting a week. For those who are in the primary program, God bless!!! I remember my family life as a child both before and after my parents stopped drinking; it was crazy prior and still crazy but much less so afterwards. I'll always have gratitude for what that program gave me. Many of my friends are in both programs and will tell that the primary program saved their life and the secondary one taught them how to live it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 29 April 2019, 07:23 PM   #145
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I really enjoy a drink, generally I never drink at home, the exception being if we have people round, 3/4 times a year, and Christmas. I enjoy meeting my mates at the pub, and that is most Fridays and Saturdays. I love Bass beer, and they sell a terrific pint at my local, and will drink 3 or 4 pints in an evening. I never drink alcohol in restaurants, wine doesn't do much for me I'm afraid, and on holiday, I will drink a couple of beers a day. My motto is ' moderation is true temperance ' I heard this once and it made perfect sense.
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Old 29 April 2019, 08:35 PM   #146
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I guess there is one other thing I wanted to add. Many friends who have given up drinking have found health by maintaining contact with a higher power. Once that has happened the negative impact their drinking had on their friends, family, and selves was greatly reduced and giving up drinking is no longer a curse or burden but a blessing.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 29 April 2019, 09:31 PM   #147
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Stopped drinking at 21. Just an unappealing thing to do for me. I can't stand the smell of alcohol, so that probably helped too.
Old 29 April 2019, 09:43 PM   #148
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the brush View Post
I really enjoy a drink, generally I never drink at home, the exception being if we have people round, 3/4 times a year, and Christmas. I enjoy meeting my mates at the pub, and that is most Fridays and Saturdays. I love Bass beer, and they sell a terrific pint at my local, and will drink 3 or 4 pints in an evening. I never drink alcohol in restaurants, wine doesn't do much for me I'm afraid, and on holiday, I will drink a couple of beers a day. My motto is ' moderation is true temperance ' I heard this once and it made perfect sense.
Good post, that could pretty much describe my use of alcohol which I would categorize as social drinking but you have to realise that to alot of our American cousins drinking more than a couple of drinks at a time makes you a raving alcoholic, haha. As in most things moderation is king.
Old 29 April 2019, 11:31 PM   #149
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarpapa View Post
Good post, that could pretty much describe my use of alcohol which I would categorize as social drinking but you have to realise that to alot of our American cousins drinking more than a couple of drinks at a time makes you a raving alcoholic, haha. As in most things moderation is king.
alcohol is a drug, it causes problems in both the US and UK. if I could point to one difference, it's our minimum drinking age of 21. teens may start out by binge drinking away from any adults, rather than with a glass of wine or beer at dinner with their family
Old 29 April 2019, 11:38 PM   #150
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
alcohol is a drug, it causes problems in both the US and UK. if I could point to one difference, it's our minimum drinking age of 21. teens may start out by binge drinking away from any adults, rather than with a glass of wine or beer at dinner with their family
It's even worse in Canada, where I spend much of my time. It seems to be part of the culture. Seems to start at a very young age. It's like a group of people can't or won't get together unless alcohol is part of it. Any occasion is used as an excuse to drink. I don't drink, and don't like being around people who drink, so I do my best at minding my own business.
Closed Thread