The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 February 2019, 12:56 AM   #91
msolace
Banned

The Grand Seiko Snowflake has been getting a lot of buzz lately... but the big question is: Is the barrier to entry price of US$5500+ justified? .. Considering the fact that the Spring Drive movement has a quartz oscillator in it, making it (in my opinion) inferior to a full mechanical movement.
What benefit(s) does it offer a watch enthusiast in terms of collectibility, value retention, etc ?
msolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 02:01 AM   #92
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by msolace View Post
What benefit(s) does it offer a watch enthusiast in terms of collectibility, value retention, etc ?
Those are all intangible, psychological attributes. It’s no secret that Grand Seiko has always missed those marks. However, when it comes down to the actual watch, there’s no comparison in my opinion....Grand Seiko. As to the specific models; the Snowflake is among the Grand Seikos to have, the Oyster Perpetual, albeit a very nice watch, is the least expensive watch that will put the name Rolex on your wrist (for reasons most people lie about).
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 03:02 PM   #93
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly. I think a lot of people appreciate the difficulty of achieving a highly accurate movement that is purely mechanical. The collectibility and value retention of a watch with a computer may not be as desirable. For example, the Rolex Oysterquartz seems like a pretty niche collectible watch compared to Daytonas and Subs of the same era.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 03:18 PM   #94
puckbw11
"TRF" Member

I’d go snowflake every time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
puckbw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 03:22 PM   #95
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I highly suggest the people using the "computer chip" example read up on how a Spring Drive works/came to be. It is an amazing feat in watchmaking....it's brands like Grand Seiko, A. Lange und Sohne, F.P Journe etc that are actually still advancing watchmaking....brands like Rolex haven't had real innovations/advancements in watchmaking for decades....just a lot of very clever marketing. For those that boo the GS brand for a Spring Drive....I also believe they make better finished full mechanical watches like the high beats with stricter accuracy testing standards.

I love Rolex as much as the next guy, but you cant' deny the great things certain other brands are bringing to the hobby. Just my 2 cents.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 04:16 PM   #96
Milibrk@
"TRF" Member

Snow flake movement is superb but very light watch.
Milibrk@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 04:45 PM   #97
jzhan026
"TRF" Member

It's made of titanium and it's really amazing what GS did with that titanium.
The movement inside is a very different take on mechanical movement. It does not require a battery and it's ingenious what they did with the glide wheel powering itself. I have seen people reporting accuracy of 0.1spd regardless of position or temperature. Theoretically, it should also be more resistant to shock and can have a longer service interval because the escapement wheel is not in contact with anything. Piaget did a similar movement in 2015 that was a little less sophisticated than spring drive, but I don't think that was ever mass produced. I vaguely remember another Swiss manufacturer doing another similar movement but I might be wrong.
I think both are great watches and I would recommend either watch to anyone depending on either the person wants a little more brand recognition or more craftsmanship. Not trying to say that OP doesn't have great craftsmanship but GS is just finished that much better. At the end of the day, I chose the snowflake because it just has a little more character (and a story for those who care to listen).
jzhan026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 07:19 PM   #98
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Exactly. I think a lot of people appreciate the difficulty of achieving a highly accurate movement that is purely mechanical. The collectibility and value retention of a watch with a computer may not be as desirable. For example, the Rolex Oysterquartz seems like a pretty niche collectible watch compared to Daytonas and Subs of the same era.
If only GS could make super accurate, Hi Beat movements for about the same price...Oh, wait...
Old 3 February 2019, 11:32 PM   #99
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
the Oyster Perpetual, albeit a very nice watch, is the least expensive watch that will put the name Rolex on your wrist (for reasons most people lie about).
Could you expand on these reasons ?
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 11:41 PM   #100
marcopolo05
"TRF" Member

GS by far imho. The OP does not do anything for me. Least special watch of the Rolex collection to me.

Whereas the snowflake dial is something apart and the spring drive movement with the power reserve is out of this world.

If it weren't for the still unknown future ease of serviceability, I would have gotten that jewel instead of my recent reverso.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A6003 en utilisant Tapatalk
marcopolo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 11:47 PM   #101
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Grand Seiko wins that contest for me and is level pegging against a 41 .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 05:53 AM   #102
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMtimes5 View Post
+1
Quote:
Please post pics of your last cave exploration, deep dive, and car race. I'd really love to see them.
Oh I will, but I think it deserves a separate thread.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:01 AM   #103
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Oh I will, but I think it deserves a separate thread.
We’ll be waiting. May as well throw in a few shots of your Porsche while you’re at it.
Old 6 February 2019, 04:30 PM   #104
msolace
Banned

The aesthetics of the watch face doesn't do it for me.
The asymmetrical shapes of the 6, 9, 12 hour markers look terribly awful, destroys the whole look of the watch..
Also, not a fan of the overpowering and extremely visible beveling of the hour markers...
The pointy hour and minute hands look like you're going to use it to stab someone.
The frame on the date window looks bulging and "forced", totally unnatural. It's too thin and disproportionate to the hour markers...

But to be fair, I do like the snowflake texture and the power reserve display ...

For US$ 5800 at full retail (brand new), I'd say it's not worth my money.

I feel the Japs always miss a point or two in design aesthetics, be it in cars, watches, etc .. it's probably something that's got to do with their belief system; fengshui, zenism, shintoism. They also tend to overemphasize the use of cutting edge materials like Titanium, carbon fibre, and whatever new gimmicks they might have under their belt, to let customers dawn on the idea that they're the leading watchmaker, carmaker, etc, which doesn't necessarily mean so ..
Old 6 February 2019, 04:50 PM   #105
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I feel the Japs always miss a point or two in design aesthetics, be it in cars, watches, etc .. it's probably something that's got to do with their belief system; fengshui, zenism, shintoism.
Now I remember why we Americans are so popular around the world. SMH.
Old 6 February 2019, 05:01 PM   #106
msolace
Banned

Quote:
Old 6 February 2019, 05:03 PM   #107
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
The aesthetics of the watch face doesn't do it for me.
The asymmetrical shapes of the 6, 9, 12 hour markers look terribly awful, destroys the whole look of the watch..
Also, not a fan of the overpowering and extremely visible beveling of the hour markers...
The pointy hour and minute hands look like you're going to use it to stab someone.
The frame on the date window looks bulging and "forced", totally unnatural. It's too thin and disproportionate to the hour markers...

But to be fair, I do like the snowflake texture and the power reserve display ...

For US$ 5800 at full retail (brand new), I'd say it's not worth my money.

I feel the Japs always miss a point or two in design aesthetics, be it in cars, watches, etc .. it's probably something that's got to do with their belief system; fengshui, zenism, shintoism. They also tend to overemphasize the use of cutting edge materials like Titanium, carbon fibre, and whatever new gimmicks they might have under their belt, to let customers dawn on the idea that they're the leading watchmaker, carmaker, etc, which doesn't necessarily mean so ..
You know feng shui is Chinese, right? Either way we don't need your kind around here. This is an international forum.
Old 6 February 2019, 07:39 PM   #108
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
You know feng shui is Chinese, right? Either way we don't need your kind around here. This is an international forum.
This is why I donated $$ to this forum, moderation like this. Thank you.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 03:03 AM   #109
penguinrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh i know this one! is it because we speak loudly and slowly when we go to other countries? Or is it because of mcdonalds? Or is it because we buy ALL the rolex sold by AD in the UK (while speaking loudly and slowly)?
EDIT to stay on topic: I really wish i could see the snowflake in person. It stands out to me as a 'second' watch after a first Rolex. Don't see too many people get the Rolex after a GS. If you can afford the Rolex, start with that and you'll find a way to afford the second watch ;)
penguinrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 03:33 AM   #110
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
We’ll be waiting.
We? You have friends?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 04:09 AM   #111
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
We? You have friends?
Are you deflecting?
Old 7 February 2019, 04:12 AM   #112
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinrolex View Post
Don't see too many people get the Rolex after a GS. If you can afford the Rolex, start with that and you'll find a way to afford the second watch ;)
Something to think about.
Old 7 February 2019, 04:44 AM   #113
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
OP, the new one looks great!
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 05:12 AM   #114
wyguy
"TRF" Member

The Snowflake by a mile vs. this OP.

The dial, the faceting of the hands and hour markers, blued second hand, the power reserve indicator...and not least of all the Spring Drive movement. All done very tastefully (to me). Extremely high quality. Once you see one in the flesh, and in different lighting conditions you cannot help but be amazed.

Not sure what folks see in this particular Rolex, other than maybe history. It looks like something that would fall out of a box of corn flakes.... :)
wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 05:18 AM   #115
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
OP actually. I would take the Snowflake if it had no power reserve indicator on the dial and a non spring drive movement.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 02:56 PM   #116
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
If only GS could make super accurate, Hi Beat movements for about the same price...Oh, wait...
Haha. Nice try!

GS does indeed make super accurate mechanical watches. But this thread--and my comment--was talking about a GS spring drive watch.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 06:38 PM   #117
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

I’m a big Rolex fan but the GS. The quality of the whole package is unbelievable and it’s not something you see everyday.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 06:58 PM   #118
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

OP in a minute, the GS just doesn’t do it.
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 07:26 PM   #119
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Haha. Nice try!

GS does indeed make super accurate mechanical watches. But this thread--and my comment--was talking about a GS spring drive watch.
Old 20 May 2019, 12:48 PM   #120
piratebenjamin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SBGA371
Everyone says the snowflake is lightweight, I wonder how many have tried it on or just repeat what they have heard or read in reviews. I just weighed my Snowflake at 96.5 grams. My 14060 Sub on rubber strap is 89 grams.
piratebenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote