The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 May 2019, 12:40 AM   #1
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR GMT II
Erratic time keeping - 654

Wondering if anyone else experienced has experienced this. I was not expecting COSC-level time keeping when I purchased my PAM654 but was pleasantly surprised to see +5.25/day over the first few weeks of wear, which actually dropped to +3/day beginning of last week (can't recall what changed in my wearing habits to drive this). I've always left the watch dial up on my nightstand.

After letting the watch wind all the way down and wearing a different piece during travels last week, it now appears to be running +30 or more. Has anyone else experienced this? the 654 has a closed caseback so difficult for me to tell where the 3-day power reserve sits but fully wound it today and will wear throughout the day to see what happens. The watch is about 1 month old
Howlerbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:06 AM   #2
synequano
Banned

+30 sounds like magnetized watch....try to demagnetize it first before doing anything else to the movement
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 04:52 AM   #3
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
+30 sounds like magnetized watch....try to demagnetize it first before doing anything else to the movement
That was my thought as well, although I also thought that modern PAMs had pretty good antimag protection already. The heaviest duty magnets I run into are in laptops and they've never been an issue with my other watches
Old 14 May 2019, 06:02 AM   #4
synequano
Banned

From my experience with Panerai,their movement (particularly the in house) have so-so antimagnetic property

I accidentally magnetized some of mine by accidentally putting them on top of my iPad cover...most of them have display back though...
Old 14 May 2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
From my experience with Panerai,their movement (particularly the in house) have so-so antimagnetic property

I accidentally magnetized some of mine by accidentally putting them on top of my iPad cover...most of them have display back though...
Thanks, I'll give that a shot then
Old 14 May 2019, 09:57 AM   #6
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Yes, the magnet on the iPad cover has over 1200 gauss.
Old 30 May 2019, 06:00 AM   #7
RJC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you do to demagnetise?

Current - DSSD 116660 - Sea-Dweller 126600
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 09:35 AM   #8
synequano
Banned

Put the watch on demagnetizer and zap zap...do it movement down and dial down to be sure....
Old 30 May 2019, 02:47 PM   #9
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Also, make sure you either hack the movement or you demagnetize a stopped watch. Put it on magnet and slowly move it away from it for circa 30 seconds. The magnet button has to be pressed the whole time. Cheap demagnetizer for few dollars (the blue one) from Amazon will do. It is around 10 bucks.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 07:12 PM   #10
RJC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris72 View Post
Also, make sure you either hack the movement or you demagnetize a stopped watch. Put it on magnet and slowly move it away from it for circa 30 seconds. The magnet button has to be pressed the whole time. Cheap demagnetizer for few dollars (the blue one) from Amazon will do. It is around 10 bucks.

Current - DSSD 116660 - Sea-Dweller 126600
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 01:53 AM   #11
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Quick update here - haven't gotten around to demag'ing given recent work travels but wanted to test on/off wrist trends before doing anything. Reset the watch Friday at 12PT and left it on my nightstand, and almost 48 hours later without wear it hasn't lost a second. On wrist it still seems to gain a fair bit - +15 or so. Could that still be a magnetized watch, or does it just need to be regulated for my wear patterns? Pleasantly surprised that this was dead accurate dial up for 2 days straight
Old 3 June 2019, 02:46 AM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlerbro View Post
Quick update here - haven't gotten around to demag'ing given recent work travels but wanted to test on/off wrist trends before doing anything. Reset the watch Friday at 12PT and left it on my nightstand, and almost 48 hours later without wear it hasn't lost a second. On wrist it still seems to gain a fair bit - +15 or so. Could that still be a magnetized watch, or does it just need to be regulated for my wear patterns? Pleasantly surprised that this was dead accurate dial up for 2 days straight
That is unlikely to be magnetized. I had a magnetized Submersible that required correction. The hallmark of a magnetized watch is that it will be very erratic (keeping perfect time, then sudden loss of time for no reason, then keeping time again). This usually happens well within 24 hour cycles so I highly doubt that your watch is magnetized. Your watch may need a service.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote