The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 May 2019, 05:03 AM   #1
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Any owners/fans of the GO Senator Chronograph Panorama Date Steel

......the reference with the black dial/light blue hands?

I'm seriously considering this watch. Retail has come down from $14,900 to $13,700, and I can get 30% off of that.
Re-sale is terrible I know, but I'm not too worried about it if I get it at 30% off.

Would love to hear any thoughts/reviews by those who own it.
It would be a watch I wear at least 3-4 days/week to work, in rotation occasionally with my PP 5726A
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 07:50 AM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Sal, have tried the watch on yet?
Presuming so, what did you think of it?
Did it fit and sit well?
Did it hit all the right notes for you?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 09:03 AM   #3
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Sal, have tried the watch on yet?
Presuming so, what did you think of it?
Did it fit and sit well?
Did it hit all the right notes for you?
Nope-- this would be a sight unseen purchase as I don't have access to a GO AD.

I did watch the review on it by Tim on Watchuwant, so I think size wise I should be good.

I love the dial and am a big fan of the big date layouts on many of the GO's and Lange's, and this would be a "go with my gut" purchase. lol
Old 16 May 2019, 09:29 AM   #4
PJ S
Banned

How do you not have access to an AD?
Presumably you can drive/fly?
I know the watch you’re referring to – it’s not much of a surprise that you’d be getting it so cheap. It’s... an acquired taste, shall we say?
Didn’t you recetly ask about the Seventies in the Patek forum?
If I’m remembering correctly, that’s the chronograph model you should be buying blind, but I’d still recommend trying to see it first too.
Old 16 May 2019, 12:48 PM   #5
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How do you not have access to an AD?
Presumably you can drive/fly?
I know the watch you’re referring to – it’s not much of a surprise that you’d be getting it so cheap. It’s... an acquired taste, shall we say?
Didn’t you recetly ask about the Seventies in the Patek forum?
If I’m remembering correctly, that’s the chronograph model you should be buying blind, but I’d still recommend trying to see it first too.
I would have to fly out to the east to west coast as there aren't any GO AD's within driving distance I'm aware of.

Yeah, I did ask about the 70's chrono, but I had some great pics sent to me that helped answer that question.

Why do you say the Senator chrono is an acquired taste? I've always read the GO senator chrono is a tremendous value and gets some very good reviews.
Old 16 May 2019, 07:08 PM   #6
PJ S
Banned

My remark was a glib way of saying I’m not particularly taken by it.
It’s like the design team were told to make a Senator version but not something that looked like they’d simply plonked the Seventies dial into a round case.
The chronograph hour disc became a sub-dial and hand (resembling a spare prick at an orgy), and a couple of Roman numerals thrown on to round out the antiquated, olde world visual.
Sure, it looks different enough to the Seventies, but the original is by far the more convincing design – hence why you really ought to make the necessary effort to go handle both styles and see if either resonate with you.
Make a weekend of it, visit a store with other brands you can compare them to — $200 or so is better to have spent than $700+ to realise neither piece is for you.

As you already have a Patek Nautilus, and given the sort of budget in play, wouldn’t you maybe be more drawn to a pre-owned VCO 49150?
You’re also in the realm of Piaget Polo S, and Girard-Perregaux Laureto chronographs.
Have any of these been considered and dismissed?
Old 17 May 2019, 12:35 AM   #7
themast
"TRF" Member

The orgy analogy is a bit too much for me but I am also not totally convinced by the dial. I have never seen one in person and I am sure it will look better but I am not moved by the photographs.

2FF1BCF3-5777-4FB0-BB49-33EC2066DF2B.jpeg

European Watch Company as a perpetual calendar now in stock that is worth looking at!

6BD67176-2F1F-4450-B5EE-ACB00CCF31C4.jpeg
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 02:38 PM   #8
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My remark was a glib way of saying I’m not particularly taken by it.
It’s like the design team were told to make a Senator version but not something that looked like they’d simply plonked the Seventies dial into a round case.
The chronograph hour disc became a sub-dial and hand (resembling a spare prick at an orgy), and a couple of Roman numerals thrown on to round out the antiquated, olde world visual.
Sure, it looks different enough to the Seventies, but the original is by far the more convincing design – hence why you really ought to make the necessary effort to go handle both styles and see if either resonate with you.
Make a weekend of it, visit a store with other brands you can compare them to — $200 or so is better to have spent than $700+ to realise neither piece is for you.

As you already have a Patek Nautilus, and given the sort of budget in play, wouldn’t you maybe be more drawn to a pre-owned VCO 49150?
You’re also in the realm of Piaget Polo S, and Girard-Perregaux Laureto chronographs.
Have any of these been considered and dismissed?
Not a fan of the Piaget, and Yes I have considered the GP Laureato, and still am considering them. Two issues:
1. The 38mm version is too small and I think the 42mm wears just a tad too big.
2. Fairly or unfairly, GP's are seen as AP rip offs design wise--even though I know the history of the design of both watches and therefore that claim is unfair to GP. Still, I have a 15202 and me adding a 26480ti soon (although I'm having second thoughts about this watch).