The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 May 2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Renoire
"TRF" Member

Explorer Mk2 confusion

Hello Forum,

Newbie here!

Just purchased a pre-owned Explorer Mk2, i.e. 39mm, longer hands and lumed 3,6,9 numerals - looks gorgeous! However, I thought it was a 2016 when purchased, but upon receiving the watch, the details state date of purchase as 2011, so I'm very confused as the face-lifted mk2 did not appear until 2016.

Also, when I check the serial number (Z3Z19152) against a couple of online databases it gives the date of manufacture as 2006-7, and this doesn't figure at all, as, as far as I know, the 214270 was not introduced until 2010! So, doubly confused.

Can anyone throw any light on this confusion? I hope I've manage to attach a picture.

Really appreciate any informed comments. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExplorerMk2.jpg (85.8 KB, 748 views)
Renoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 10:41 PM   #2
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Hello, Renoire, and welcome to the Forum. First, in 2010, Rolex began to scramble the serial numbers. So because your scrambled serial number happens to begin with a Z, when you put that into the database, it says, "Oh, a Z at the beginning, those serial numbers belong to the 2006-2007 list (before they began to be scrambled)."

If you change the Z to a Y at the beginning, you'll get 2002-2003. Rest assured, your watch was not made during those years. If you have any doubts, take it to a Rolex AD for verification.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 11:52 PM   #3
alphasports
"TRF" Member

I had my Mk1 recently converted to a Mk2 by the AD, so that's a possibility too.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:07 AM   #4
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoire View Post
Hello Forum,
the details state date of purchase as 2011
When you say "details state" are you referring to the warranty card stating the purchase date was 2011?

If so, then that likely means the watch was purchased in 2011 with an MK1 dial, and at some point, it was changed, either via service or a dealer swap.
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:16 AM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
...purchased in 2011 with an MK1 dial, and at some point, it was changed, either via service or a dealer swap.
I'm guessing this is the case.

Welcome to TRF, and nice choice of a first Rolex
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:59 AM   #6
Renoire
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for your kind replies.

The dealer is telling me that the watch is a 2016, but they sent me the wrong warranty card. The only problem with this explanation is that the serial number on the card matches that on my watch, and that seems an incredible coincidence that they would have two warranty cards for the same model watch with the same serial number, but two different dates of purchase. Is that possible?

Thanks for any further advice.
Old 18 May 2019, 01:53 AM   #7
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Your serial is not a Z serial; it is a random serial starting with a Z. It has 8 digits vs 7 for a proper Z serial from 2006-2007. End.

Old 18 May 2019, 02:01 AM   #8
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Quote:

The dealer is telling me that the watch is a 2016, but they sent me the wrong warranty card. The only problem with this explanation is that the serial number on the card matches that on my watch, and that seems an incredible coincidence that they would have two warranty cards for the same model watch with the same serial number, but two different dates of purchase. Is that possible?

Two warranty cards for the same serial number? Something seems off with this story.
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 02:27 AM   #9
ExplorerTime
Banned

Watch: 116200/14270
It was born an MK1 and transitioned to a MK2 by Rolex.

If you go to a Rolex Service Center they will have service history of watch, that will be your answer, but that's my bet.
ExplorerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 10:08 PM   #10
Renoire
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for your replies. Just been into a Rolex AD and they confirm what you are saying about serial numbers. Disappointingly, they also told me that they cannot confirm the date of manufacture from the serial number (which rather surprised me). Their suspicion is that the dial and hands have been changed. I am still waiting for a credible explanation from the shop I bought it from. They're fedexing me to take back the guarantee card on Monday, and say they'll then send me the right one which apparently they have....????
Old 18 May 2019, 10:46 PM   #11
Renoire
"TRF" Member

I'm returning the watch and asking for a refund! Really disappointed!
Old 18 May 2019, 10:56 PM   #12
sportsmaven20
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I'm returning the watch and asking for a refund! Really disappointed!
Good choice...seems way too fishy!

Don’t worry, you’ll find another one without any baggage!
sportsmaven20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 11:29 PM   #13
Renoire
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I found a brand new one for for a few hundred more. Think I'll go for it for the peace of mind!
Old 19 May 2019, 04:17 AM   #14
Saint-Tropez
Banned

Glad it worked out for you! Your much better off now, anyhow.
Saint-Tropez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:18 AM   #15
subcsteve
"TRF" Member

Just shows how tricky this can be, think you made the right choice and ended up with a better deal :)
subcsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 10:20 AM   #16
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, I found a brand new one for for a few hundred more. Think I'll go for it for the peace of mind!
Great idea. Paying a bit more for a new example you will probably keep indefinitely makes good sense. A brand new Explorer is just so crisp and untouched and price-wise very close to most preowned units in the market.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 01:40 PM   #17
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Maybe just the angle but shouldn't the hour hand be exactly as long as the outer edge of the markers...yours looks almost extra long.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 02:08 PM   #18
matthias1975
"TRF" Member

First post here and really enjoying this forum. Not sure if this adds anything but I purchased an Explorer in Dec '18 from an AD and the serial starts with F. So when I looked and it up it gives me production year of 2005. But it makes sense since they just recently started to scramble serials.
matthias1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 02:22 PM   #19
flv112
"TRF" Member

You have a random/scrambled (mix of numbers and letters) 8-character serial number, like I'm sure all Mk2 214270s have.
flv112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 03:16 PM   #20
ExplorerTime
Banned

Watch: 116200/14270
Quote:
Originally Posted by flv112 View Post
You have a random/scrambled (mix of numbers and letters) 8-character serial number, like I'm sure all Mk2 214270s have.
Yes, the serial # issue is settled, Modern Rolex' have random serial numbers.

The issue is that the date of purchase is 2011, which would have been a MK1 dial as opposed to an MK2.

So the likely scenario is that it was an MK1 which had its dial and hands replaced w/ Mk2 hands & dial.
ExplorerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:24 PM   #21
Lumberjact
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
I had my Mk1 recently converted to a Mk2 by the AD, so that's a possibility too.
Are Rolex changing dials and handsets from MkI to II during service, on request?

"Onto his wrist he slipped his steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual, the 34mm model, the date window its only complication; Bond did not need to know the phases of the moon or the exact moment of high tide at Southampton. And he suspected very few people did."
Lumberjact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:56 PM   #22
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:

Even if Rolex re-uses "random" serials (which seems stupid if this is supposed to be a unique identifier, and trivially avoided), the likelihood that the same grey dealer would end up with identical serial MK1 and a MK2 Explorers in inventory at the same time is in lottery winning territory. And then when he sells one of this unicorn pair of identical serial Explorers, he just happens to mix up the cards. Sure. I vote for not possible/something's wrong here.
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 07:13 PM   #23
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:41 PM   #24
Renoire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjact View Post
Are Rolex changing dials and handsets from MkI to II during service, on request?

Hi, When I went into a Rolex dealer they told me it would be against their policy to alter a watch in this way, i.e. put a later dial and hands on to a watch. It's not something they would do.

Cheers