The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2019, 03:48 AM   #1
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Ive decided to wait it out...

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about the AD vs grey market thing. I have long decided that I want to purchase a TT CHNR as my next watch. The problem is, of course, the scarcity of this model at the AD's here. Of course, I could just pay the premium and get one now via the grey market. After inquiring again at my local AD, he informed me that one has been ordered but that a delivery date is uncertain and that I could be in for a long wait...

Seeing that I have a very good relationship with my AD and that I have always bought my watches through them and trust them fully, I have decided to wait it out. In the end, Ill save thousands and can look back at the process as a lesson in patience....
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:50 AM   #2
zjd168
"TRF" Member

wise, and this one shouldn't take long
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:53 AM   #3
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I don't think it will take long either. I had to wait 3 months and I'm in a really tough tourist market that has local and non-local VIP 7 digit clients. So if I can get one here, anyone can get one anywhere!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:55 AM   #4
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
TT CHNR should be less than 3 months.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:55 AM   #5
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2jag View Post
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about the AD vs grey market thing. I have long decided that I want to purchase a TT CHNR as my next watch. The problem is, of course, the scarcity of this model at the AD's here. Of course, I could just pay the premium and get one now via the grey market. After inquiring again at my local AD, he informed me that one has been ordered but that a delivery date is uncertain and that I could be in for a long wait...

Seeing that I have a very good relationship with my AD and that I have always bought my watches through them and trust them fully, I have decided to wait it out. In the end, Ill save thousands and can look back at the process as a lesson in patience....
Great.

If more people did that, demand would drop at grey dealers, more watches would be available to real buyers, waiting times would drop, and we would pay less

Everyone’s happy - apart from profiteers and queue jumpers
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 04:08 AM   #6
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Great.

If more people did that, demand would drop at grey dealers, more watches would be available to real buyers, waiting times would drop, and we would pay less

Everyone’s happy - apart from profiteers and queue jumpers
^^^^THIS. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Epanerai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 05:06 AM   #7
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think the real decision is how many different AD's do you put your name down for and if you decide to buy it at a place that isn't your normal AD. I was offered this watch as a first time buyer from a store I don't usually deal with, which I was very surprised by.

I think the wait for this one if you shop is going to be reasonable. Plus without the black LN and TT yellow gold, the movements will naturally go to the other GMT's.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 05:08 AM   #8
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The AD decided I will wait it out
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:45 AM   #9
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
That's the way to do it financially .. Hope it works out for you time wise
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:47 AM   #10
alpine24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2jag View Post

This one should be coming soon to you...good luck
alpine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Iowa 73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116503
I ordered a TT Daytona today, and put my name on the list for a CHNR. We'll see how long it takes ;)
Old 21 May 2019, 01:21 PM   #12
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
The AD decided I will wait it out
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 01:33 PM   #13
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa 73 View Post
I ordered a TT Daytona today, and put my name on the list for a CHNR. We'll see how long it takes ;)
from AD? was any discount offered on the TT Daytona?
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 01:39 PM   #14
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

TT CHNR shouldn't be hard to get, I got an offer for it. It's the SS BLRO/BNLR that's almost impossible to get. It's still easy to get your DJ/TT/PM
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 01:44 PM   #15
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
TT watches are more out in the wild. Stainless Steel - Forget that. Your TT CHNR should be obtainable within a year.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 01:50 PM   #16
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
TT CHNR shouldn't be hard to get, I got an offer for it. It's the SS BLRO/BNLR that's almost impossible to get. It's still easy to get your DJ/TT/PM
Here's where they're all hiding. I caved in while the prices were high but not insane. This place has them down at $HK148,000 ($US18,900) in Kowloon. I have no affiliation with this crowd but watermarks can't be removed. See a separate post I wrote a few weeks back on Chungking Mansions.

InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 01:55 PM   #17
FireMedic37
"TRF" Member

Yeah....I'd love the same watch......I'm gonna wait until I stumble on one, or the boss man calls me with one to sell.
FireMedic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 02:53 PM   #18
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
ADs all over the world have people walking in, or calling in to ask about availability of certain models.

The demand is there, but quite often it’s the same people walking into and calling every single AD to ask, or leave their names.

The feeling of strong demand is amplified, even if it’s not ‘real’ in the sense that every single enquirer will translate into a sale. The customers who asks at 5 ADs is likely to purchase only one eventually. Reading demand on this basis may be like an improperly taken census.

Not to mention that a large proportion of these ‘buyers’ have no intention of being the end user for the watch either, merely trying to obtain one merely to sell on to genuine collectors who don’t want to wait, or suffer extreme FOMO.

And the thing with all speculative instruments undergoing FOMO frenzy, the music eventually stops, and a lot of latecomers will be left without a chair. Or the tide goes out, and they’re naked. Or a million and one other cute analogies.

Availability might then increase at ADs when that happens. I would be patient as well, but that’s not stopping me from developing a good relationship with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 02:55 PM   #19
teck21
"TRF" Member

ADs all over the world have people walking in, or calling in to ask about availability of certain models.

The demand is there, but quite often it’s the same people walking into and calling every single AD to ask, or leave their names.

The feeling of strong demand is amplified, even if it’s not ‘real’ in the sense that every single enquirer will translate into a sale. The customers who asks at 5 ADs is likely to purchase only one eventually. Reading demand on this basis may be like an improperly taken census.

Not to mention that a large proportion of these ‘buyers’ have no intention of being the end user for the watch either, merely trying to obtain one merely to sell on to genuine collectors who don’t want to wait, or suffer extreme FOMO.

And the thing with all speculative instruments undergoing FOMO frenzy, the music eventually stops, and a lot of latecomers will be left without a chair. Or the tide goes out, and they’re naked. Or a million and one other cute analogies.

Availability might then increase at ADs when that happens. I intend to be very patient as well with regards getting the SS sports models I want, but that’s not stopping me from developing a good relationship with my AD.

Old 21 May 2019, 02:59 PM   #20
champ74
Banned

Patience is key, don't worry you will get it sooner.
champ74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:07 PM   #21
teck21
"TRF" Member

The app’s been very unstable for me for a couple of days, can I still remove my duplicate post?

Old 21 May 2019, 04:45 PM   #22
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Here's where they're all hiding. I caved in while the prices were high but not insane. This place has them down at $HK148,000 ($US18,900) in Kowloon. I have no affiliation with this crowd but watermarks can't be removed. See a separate post I wrote a few weeks back on Chungking Mansions.

I did read your nice write-up. We're in HK last year and I got sick after seeing seas of DJ/TT/PM at the many ADs we dropped in, I did not see a single SS sport at the Rolex ADs. I was looking around for a SS Zenith Daytona instead. My wife came out ahead with her Chanel handbags...
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 05:06 PM   #23
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Good decision I hope you get it soon it's a beauty.
APPRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:18 PM   #24
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I think the real decision is how many different AD's do you put your name down for and if you decide to buy it at a place that isn't your normal AD. I was offered this watch as a first time buyer from a store I don't usually deal with, which I was very surprised by.

I think the wait for this one if you shop is going to be reasonable. Plus without the black LN and TT yellow gold, the movements will naturally go to the other GMT's.
It depends on where you are located. In my neck of the woods, the CHNR is difficult to attain. In some places they are plentiful. I've checked at other AD's and they wouldn't even take my information....Ill stick with my usual Ad as said, I trust him....
Old 21 May 2019, 07:21 PM   #25
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
TT watches are more out in the wild. Stainless Steel - Forget that. Your TT CHNR should be obtainable within a year.
Yes, within a year is what I figure...although some here on the forum have found them to be obtainable, it very much depends on the country you live in. In the Netherlands they are difficult to acquire through an AD and that's why the greys are asking up to 3 grand more.....
Old 21 May 2019, 08:56 PM   #26
Iowa 73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116503
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterbunny View Post
from AD? was any discount offered on the TT Daytona?
Yes, around 12%
Old 21 May 2019, 09:01 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good luck and I hope it arrives sooner than you think
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:20 PM   #28
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Ok, glad you are happy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:21 PM   #29
WatchBrothersLondon
2024 Pledge Member

I think you'll find it turns up sooner than expected, presuming you're in favor with your AD
WatchBrothersLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:25 PM   #30
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP, have you tried multiple AD's?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote