The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2016, 01:14 PM   #1
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
Mechanical Keyboards

Mechanical keyboard

I've been using a UNICOMP mechanical "buckling spring" keyboard at work for the past seven years and have really enjoyed typing on it. It's a Model M which is the same as the early beige IBM keyboards from the 80s. Some say they the buckling spring keyboard from IBM was one of the best. For my purpose, it's been a great tool, and reminds me of the IBM Selectric typewriters we used to use at work, some of which are actually still sitting around.

For a while now, I've been thinking about trying something new, a DAS keyboard with Cherry Brown switches (quieter), with all black keys (no letters or symbols). It's a high quality keyboard which will last a long time like my Model M, and of course it's priced a bit higher than your typical office supply keyboard. The company has an interesting story:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/history/

I love all things mechanical, so a mechanical keyboard is just an extension of my admiration for watches, bicycles, mechanical calculators, Ericofons, and mechanical musical instruments (bass guitar and upright).

This is the NPR radio story
From 2009 that made me aware of these keyboards.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=100076874

Cheers.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I have a custom WASD keyboard at home with cherry blues. Awesome quality.

I have a cheaper (forget the brand) keyboard also with cherry blues at the office. I'll probably replace it with another WASD keyboard.

Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I wish Apple still offered those big old clunky keyboards. The lightweight little things that come with the iMac now are far too dainty for my liking.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 02:11 PM   #4
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Why does not having labels on the keys make you type faster?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 02:38 PM   #5
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
IBM SSK is still one of my favorites (with buckling spring). Here's one of my many, many, many mech keyboards (BNIB).

sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Kostas

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Yep can't stand these modern "chiclet keys"
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:13 PM   #7
Constantine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I wish Apple still offered those big old clunky keyboards. The lightweight little things that come with the iMac now are far too dainty for my liking.
If you like the old clunky keyboards of the Mac, the nearest thing you can get today are these one, perhaps you want to give them a shot:
http://matias.ca/tactilepro4/
Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Porsche

Watch: and learn
Love them

I have 3 Model M's... best keyboards ever made. Unfortunately over the years, each one has developed a small flaw (for example, the 's" key repeats on one, the space bar on another etc). I have been looked at online tutorials on fixing, but have not yet attempted - you need to drill out rivets holding backplate etc).

I bought a AZIO keyboard to replace them, and although it has mechanical keys, it is NOT nearly as good as the original.

Pic below with gratuitous Rolex Yachtmaster added
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-10-2016 4-50-46 PM.jpg (95.4 KB, 483 views)

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:57 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
If you like the old clunky keyboards of the Mac, the nearest thing you can get today are these one, perhaps you want to give them a shot:
http://matias.ca/tactilepro4/
Thanks, I've looked at those before. I might get one now you've reminded me
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 04:03 PM   #10
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
IBM SSK is still one of my favorites (with buckling spring). Here's one of my many, many, many mech keyboards (BNIB).

Those were GREAT. Do they make an adaptor to go from the 5-pin DIN connector to USB???
Tri-Tip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 04:15 PM   #11
Porsche

yes, I have several.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-10-2016 5-13-45 PM.jpg (11.9 KB, 476 views)

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Old 19 October 2016, 03:27 AM   #12
swils8610

I must ask...what's the difference in the keyboards above collated to a new $30 dollar Logitech?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 05:54 AM   #13
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Been using the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate for about a year now.

The green backlighting is a bit much, but I don't mind it too much.

It has Razer green switches which I guess are closest to cherry blues.

I love it, but I can understand why most people do not. You really need to like the feedback and the sound.

Clicking and clacking makes the typing experience enjoyable.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 07:22 AM   #14
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I must ask...what's the difference in the keyboards above collated to a new $30 dollar Logitech?

Sanity ;)

Love cherry mechanicals - have 2 g710+ Keyboards for primary machines - they work great for work or play
Old 28 March 2017, 12:15 PM   #15
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Bumping this thread.

I ordered a Unicomp Classic today. Can't wait to get it. I hope I don't become the most hated guy in the office LOL!!
Old 28 March 2017, 12:29 PM   #16
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Bumping this thread.

I ordered a Unicomp Classic today. Can't wait to get it. I hope I don't become the most hated guy in the office LOL!!
Hi Wes

please us know how you go. I have bought and used new iterations (Cherry etc) but NONE of them really have the feel of the IBM. It's small things, like the length of travel of a key before clicking, the "snap-feel" of the click itself, etc. Even the sound of the click is not as full.

Would love to know if the Unicomp is really the same as the original

I really do need to try and repair one of the 3 IBM M models I have

TRF REHAUT
Old 28 March 2017, 02:06 PM   #17
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Hi Wes

please us know how you go. I have bought and used new iterations (Cherry etc) but NONE of them really have the feel of the IBM. It's small things, like the length of travel of a key before clicking, the "snap-feel" of the click itself, etc. Even the sound of the click is not as full.

Would love to know if the Unicomp is really the same as the original

I really do need to try and repair one of the 3 IBM M models I have
Hey John,

Will do. I remember using the original IBM keyboards when I was a kid, but it's been about 20 years so I don't remember how they actually feel.

From what I've been reading, the Unicomp keyboards are nearly identical. The molds used for the shells are even the originals from 30+ years ago. The only difference is that the case material is a bit thinner than the original resulting in a slightly lighter keyboard (though compared to modern keyboards, they're still damn heavy).

Wes
Old 28 March 2017, 10:29 PM   #18
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post

The buckling spring boards have a very tactile feel for actuating and releasing a key. A typical keyboard now (non mechanical) has a membrane which feels mushy and lifeless when compared to a buckling spring or mechanical board.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 10:31 PM   #19
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utc66 View Post
Mechanical keyboard

I've been using a UNICOMP mechanical "buckling spring" keyboard at work for the past seven years and have really enjoyed typing on it. It's a Model M which is the same as the early beige IBM keyboards from the 80s. Some say they the buckling spring keyboard from IBM was one of the best. For my purpose, it's been a great tool, and reminds me of the IBM Selectric typewriters we used to use at work, some of which are actually still sitting around.

For a while now, I've been thinking about trying something new, a DAS keyboard with Cherry Brown switches (quieter), with all black keys (no letters or symbols). It's a high quality keyboard which will last a long time like my Model M, and of course it's priced a bit higher than your typical office supply keyboard. The company has an interesting story:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/history/

I love all things mechanical, so a mechanical keyboard is just an extension of my admiration for watches, bicycles, mechanical calculators, Ericofons, and mechanical musical instruments (bass guitar and upright).

This is the NPR radio story
From 2009 that made me aware of these keyboards.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=100076874

Cheers.
I have a Ducky One with browns. I love it. I would never go back to a standard board.

Have you considered topre switches? Realforce makes a board with them. They are a lot more expensive than any typical mechanical board, but much closer to god level like the old buckling spring boards. I think a good topre board is about $250-300.
Old 28 March 2017, 11:37 PM   #20
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
I have a Ducky One with browns. I love it. I would never go back to a standard board.

Have you considered topre switches? Realforce makes a board with them. They are a lot more expensive than any typical mechanical board, but much closer to god level like the old buckling spring boards. I think a good topre board is about $250-300.
I think Realforce is Topre. Their boards look really nice, but as you said, are pretty expensive.

CoolerMaster has a board that uses topre switches (NovaTouch). I think that one is about $200.
Old 29 March 2017, 02:06 AM   #21
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think Realforce is Topre. Their boards look really nice, but as you said, are pretty expensive.

CoolerMaster has a board that uses topre switches (NovaTouch). I think that one is about $200.
Topre is made by a Japanese company called...Topre Corporation.

Yeah, a lot more companies are coming out with topre switches like CoolerMaster, Ducky, and Realforce.

I forgot to mention, other than price, one of the drawbacks with topre is the non-standard keycap stem. Cherry MX uses a cross, which most every keycap manufacturer uses, so swapping keys is simple. (for those that don't know, custom keycaps and colors is huge) Topre uses a round stem, so only topre keyscaps can be used unless you have a hybrid MX/topre stem.
Old 29 March 2017, 02:17 AM   #22
Syed117
"TRF" Member

The corsair k95 Platinum (their new flagship) is actually on sale today for $170, down from $200.

I was close, but I don't feel comfortable ordering from their online store.

As soon as Newegg or Amazon gets a price drop, will pick it up. Still feel weird spending $200 on a keyboard.

My Razer is still perfect, and I know I'll essentially be trashing it if I get this new one. No reason to upgrade, but I guess that's never stopped me before.
Old 29 March 2017, 05:17 AM   #23
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Topre is made by a Japanese company called...Topre Corporation.
Yes, my point was that Realforce is made by Topre. It's not it's own company that uses Topre switches.
Old 29 March 2017, 05:19 AM   #24
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
The corsair k95 Platinum (their new flagship) is actually on sale today for $170, down from $200.

I was close, but I don't feel comfortable ordering from their online store.

As soon as Newegg or Amazon gets a price drop, will pick it up. Still feel weird spending $200 on a keyboard.

My Razer is still perfect, and I know I'll essentially be trashing it if I get this new one. No reason to upgrade, but I guess that's never stopped me before.
I see it for $170 on Amazon. And why not have one for home and the office?
Old 29 March 2017, 05:22 AM   #25
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I see it for $170 on Amazon. And why not have one for home and the office?
Just checked amazon and it's the speed switches.

I want the brown.

Sticking to membrane for work for now. Even browns would get too loud and I don't want to annoy anyone.

Edit : Thanks for the heads up. Newegg had the brown switch version in stock and on sale as well. Guess they matched the manufacturer sale. Picked one up.
Old 29 March 2017, 05:31 AM   #26
Magwitch
Banned

I must use an articulated keyboard since I am quite articulate and have bad 67 year old hands.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 12:42 AM   #27
experimentjon
"TRF" Member

Obviously an old thread from the OP, but I did buy a Das Keyboard 4 for home: blue switches, all black keycaps with no lettering. After a few months, the novelty of the blank keycaps wore off. I consider myself relatively competent at touch typing, but many times, finding the "&" or "F7" or remembering which key is the "print screen" or missing the ( or ) and [ and ] keys got tiresome. So I replaced the keycaps with some side printed keycaps. Much more practical.

Now, I've been using the Das Keyboard 4 probably from around when it was launched. And I'm very happy with it. The blues are clicky and when I buy a new mechanical keyboard for the office I'll probably go with something a bit quieter. I know a bunch of the analysts have this keyboard with blue switches, but I'd feel bad for all of my neighbors who aren't wearing Bose noise cancelling headphones.
experimentjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:01 AM   #28
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Just got my new keyboard.

Corsair K95

Cherry brown switches.

Seems great so far. Every single key has an individual light that can be customized. There are all sorts of crazy lighting effects including one where the keys ripple light outwards when they are pressed.

I will keep it static for the most part, but some of them are tastefully done.

Also has a volume wheel which seems very practical.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2017, 11:43 AM   #29
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Ooh didn't know this thread is still around. lol

Here are some of my custom ones.

My HHKB and it's Topre (same as Realforce)

The watermark is my username as a mod in one of the mech keyboard forums.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 04:28 AM   #30
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Mind completely blown!

1) I cannot believe people like those huge keyboards.

2) I cannot believe people use a keyboard without labels!! What kind of sorcery is this!!