The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 March 2017, 05:38 AM   #31
BristolCavendish
Banned

Another way to invest/cash-out in gold (as practiced by many dentists along with a few morticians) is via recycling. Though the initial amounts may be smaller than a 1 oz. Krugerrand, they can add up over time (i.e. a 30+ year period) and require minimal investment as the procurement process often 'comes with the territory'. In addition, they are also charging for services rendered so it's a win-win (for them) either way.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 05:43 AM   #32
dimag333
"TRF" Member

hmm all good feedback, in reality we only have a very small 401k from my wifes work and I am relatively you (36) so I have some time to invest. I run my own business so there are probably other options for me too, but I like having access to physical wealth if that makes sense?

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 07:26 AM   #33
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I'm 36 as well. It's a good supplement to a 401k or a Roth. Come up with a plan to set aside funds monthly and buy a couple ounces when they are low.

It's a double edged sword to keep it as an emergency fund. Easily able to liquify in case of hard times, you shouldn't touch it if you're counting on it when you're 70.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 07:34 AM   #34
dimag333
"TRF" Member

its a break in case of emergency situation for me, I have a habit of spending liquid cash very fast lol. This is a bit of a self control thing also ;)

steve
Old 7 March 2017, 07:35 AM   #35
dimag333
"TRF" Member

all this started from wanting a daydate, then of course the guy at a deli I wanted to purchase at one time was wearing one yesterday and the gold fever hit!

steve
Old 7 March 2017, 07:38 AM   #36
jumanji
"TRF" Member

I consider myself fairly investment savvy but just can't bring myself to buy gold or silver where you have to buy it for more than the asking price then when you sell you never get anywhere near the spot price....
jumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 07:39 AM   #37
herts9
"TRF" Member

We might be related lol

Get a safe and stick to a plan. You sound like you know what you're doing
Old 7 March 2017, 07:41 AM   #38
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
We might be related lol

Get a safe and stick to a plan. You sound like you know what you're doing
lol

steve
Old 7 March 2017, 07:46 AM   #39
herts9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
I consider myself fairly investment savvy but just can't bring myself to buy gold or silver where you have to buy it for more than the asking price then when you sell you never get anywhere near the spot price....
Government issued always carries a premium. You never sell for spot anyway.

Gold is an inflation fighter. You have to think of it that way. Wealth protection. A gallon of gas in the 60s was around a quarter. You can get a gallon of gas today for a quarter too, but it has to be the same quarter they used back then....made out of silver.

Peter Schiff is a good read and has YouTube videos and podcasts if you wanted to take a look
Old 7 March 2017, 08:42 AM   #40
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Apmex sells gold buffalo pretty close to what they buy at. I think some of the other PGM do better for me than gold. But you can make money.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 08:49 AM   #41
Grahamcombat
"TRF" Member

As a side note to this discussion, I'm interested in hearing what the sell-point is for most of you: is it 1x, 2x, 3x? Where are you looking at offloading? I've been doing this for about 15 years and am interested in other perspectives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Grahamcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 09:06 AM   #42
dimag333
"TRF" Member

went back today with some old costume jewlery we were gonna toss, walked out with a silver eagle. Think I might be hooked lol

steve
Old 9 March 2017, 09:08 AM   #43
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I'd buy silver before gold. In bull makets for pm it always outpaces gold.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 12:25 PM   #44
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I'd buy silver before gold. In bull makets for pm it always outpaces gold.
yeah I have more silver than gold right now basically because I want to cut my teeth with less $. for a first week of messing around I have

5.5 grams of gold 4 ounces of silver, spent like $220 and the rest was trade of stuff my wife was about to throw out.

Planning on taking about 5% of everything that comes into my business and toss it into PM. It's not alot but it puts money into money that I can't spend lol

steve
Old 9 March 2017, 12:38 PM   #45
dimag333
"TRF" Member

just sold some spare camera hardware I have and bought 7 oz of silver with the change, yall are awesome and enablers!

steve

Last edited by dimag333; 9 March 2017 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: silver not gold!
Old 9 March 2017, 12:43 PM   #46
breitlings
Banned

There is a mansion on the Chesapeake Bay around St. Michael's MD which was built as a fortress (to protect against vendetta), there are records that several tons of silver, and an unknown but large amount of Gold were stored in an elaborate hidden safe. This gold and silver to this day has not been found.
Old 9 March 2017, 12:52 PM   #47
dimag333
"TRF" Member

now looking into some "wearable" pms lol

steve
Old 9 March 2017, 01:42 PM   #48
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
There is a mansion on the Chesapeake Bay around St. Michael's MD which was built as a fortress (to protect against vendetta), there are records that several tons of silver, and an unknown but large amount of Gold were stored in an elaborate hidden safe. This gold and silver to this day has not been found.
Now I have something to do when visiting the in laws 4 times a year
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 12:05 AM   #49
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Now I have something to do when visiting the in laws 4 times a year
I'll post a picture of the house from the water once the boats are in. It's pretty close to the Chef Boyardee "house".

The fortress house has had some serious treasure hunters there looking with ground penetrating radar. They even used some technology on the walls. Apparently inside you hit a button and the whole master suite seals off with very thick metal barriers.
Old 10 March 2017, 02:50 AM   #50
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I've been an portfolio manager and financial advisor for 25 years, I see no value at all for owning Gold and Silver in the physical sense. None.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 03:09 AM   #51
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I've been an portfolio manager and financial advisor for 25 years, I see no value at all for owning Gold and Silver in the physical sense. None.
Interesting, what do you see as a negative to it? No pre tax benefit? Do you handle small businesses? I own a small partnership with my wife and are having a tough time controlling ourselves with the business money ;)

We make more now in a month sometimes than I used to make in a year, I started to buy the pm as a way of controlling our spending. Instead of going to dinner, buy a couple grams of gold ect

Feel free to email me directly info@colorroomfilms.com

steve
Old 10 March 2017, 03:15 AM   #52
herts9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is no way that holdings in paper gold investing can be justified by the amount of physical that is available. None. Especially mining stocks where overhead is so huge and the risk is too high if the POG is sustained where it's at over the long term.

Just because you see no value in it, doesn't mean there isn't any. Buying at $300/oz back in the late 90s probably was a terrible idea.

Losses incurred from the great recession could have been mitigated by physical holdings.
Old 10 March 2017, 03:17 AM   #53
herts9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamcombat View Post
As a side note to this discussion, I'm interested in hearing what the sell-point is for most of you: is it 1x, 2x, 3x? Where are you looking at offloading? I've been doing this for about 15 years and am interested in other perspectives.

Passing onto kids is what my sell point is. Or if sorely needed from what my retirement deferrals and SS (if that will even exist) doesn't cover.

If it ever would go to 5x, I could be tempted though.
Old 10 March 2017, 05:35 AM   #54
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Saving, investing, and hedging are no doubt better than spending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 05:35 AM   #55
towernick
Banned

Quote:

+1, physical gold doesn't pay a dividend, can't be sold with the click of a mouse, etc. People always talk about holding it in a SHTF scenario but are you really going to use a 1oz gold coin to buy a couple gallons of water? If I'm selling the water, I can't make change, sorry.
towernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 05:37 AM   #56
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
My wife and I buy an ounce of gold for each year married, now I collect coins and buy a heck of a lot more. But at las if we are married 50 years, there will be fifty ounces in safe that Uncle Sam doesn't know about, that will be a good bonus to the kids in addition to anything else we are able

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 05:38 AM   #57
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towernick View Post
+1, physical gold doesn't pay a dividend, can't be sold with the click of a mouse, etc. People always talk about holding it in a SHTF scenario but are you really going to use a 1oz gold coin to buy a couple gallons of water? If I'm selling the water, I can't make change, sorry.
indeed, I do have a shop about 5 minutes from me but the whole point is to not spend it, but have access without a penalty while protecting against loosing a large portion of value. Almost the same way I look at my 114060. It's not that I expect it to be worth more, but I also hope it won't be worth 50% of it's value if I ever need to liquidate.

These are worse case scenarios of course

steve
Old 10 March 2017, 05:39 AM   #58
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
My wife and I buy an ounce of gold for each year married, now I collect coins and buy a heck of a lot more. But at las if we are married 50 years, there will be fifty ounces in safe that Uncle Sam doesn't know about, that will be a good bonus to the kids in addition to anything else we are able

as a small business owner, who is taxed like crazy, your preaching to the chorus!

steve
Old 10 March 2017, 05:49 AM   #59
herts9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towernick View Post
It has been used as a store of wealth for 5000 years, and will continue to be long after I'm gone. It's not meant to MAKE MONEY on..but preserve. $5,000 in cash in 1970 could buy a really nice new car. $5000 today and you could get something 15 years old, semi reliable. $5000 invested in gold in 1970 would get you 128-ish ounces of gold. 128 ounces today would be around $153k. I understand that it's all relative over the years, but the fundamentals make sense.

I know there are a majority of people that are Fed backers, 1000%... and it's not going to change anyone's mind. Should people be all-in on physical? Of course not. Einstein said the greatest invention in history was compound interest. Be well-rounded...and in case the market is so overvalued and the dollar isn't as strong as it appears to be, then a little of the yellow metal isn't a bad thing.

I will ride the wave of the markets doing as well as they have been with you all..but it is nice knowing there's a contingency plan.

And if I need to buy some milk or bread, I'll make sure I have the fractional stuff with me.
Old 10 March 2017, 05:50 AM   #60
herts9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
Saving, investing, and hedging are no doubt better than spending
no truer words, my friend. simple, yet so wise.