The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 May 2019, 02:27 AM   #1
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Does anyone post on the camera site DPReview?

I am a camera enthusiast, if not a terrific photographer. I like to post on the forum called DPReview.

I recently bought a camera called the Fuji XT-100. I did not like it for several reasons, so I returned it within the return period.

I posted that I bought it in the Fuji section. I thought that I owed it to the Fuji enthusiasts to tell them that I returned the camera and I was not satisfied with it. Maybe helpful info for those who may buy this somewhat new model, maybe not.

You would have thought that I cut on line for the next Daytona. I was excoriated! What do I expect for that price, accusations of being a habitual returner, which I am most definitely not, and other insults were hurled my way. The moderator had to close the thread! I sent him a note to thank him and express my dismay.

Well, I just bring this up to say how much I appreciate the support and camaraderie that I get on the Rolex Forum. People share their experience and knowledge and I only remember one smarmy exchange in all my years here and with thousands of posts. I can relax and express myself and I appreciate it.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 02:33 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I used to but as you found out that forum is a toxic place to go. I was even asked to be a moderator at one point and declined. I have not even looked at that forum for years.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 04:06 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

As a pro I found them rarely useful for info but I usually found that almost all amateur sites is so much of an arms race on new stuff with XX bells and whistles and very little on artistic expression.

Good photographers can take great pictures with almost anything, chasing down the newest toy is pretty pointless. At one time with digital, newer stuff was helpful as technology developed but today that is far less so.

When I was first converting to digital I found Luminous Landscape to be a good site.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 04:11 AM   #4
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

DPR is not the friendliest photo forum to post in. I browse but don't contribute there. I tend to favor Fred Miranda. The Fuji sub-forum there is okay but a bit underpopulated. The Sony, Nikon, and Canon gear forums as well as the image sub-forums are great though in my opinion.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 04:41 AM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I just got flamed in the Sony forum.

That was pretty nice till today. I asked what aftermarket in wall battery chargers people prefer. A poster said “Duh, why did you ask that?” I complained to the moderator. We’ll see if that works.

I think I will stop posting and only read. I will look at Fred Miranda. There was a Sony board that I used to use. I will look for that one. I have no idea why so many people on that board are so mean, but I will look for other boards.
Old 31 May 2019, 05:07 AM   #6
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
As a pro I found them rarely useful for info but I usually found that almost all amateur sites is so much of an arms race on new stuff with XX bells and whistles and very little on artistic expression.

Good photographers can take great pictures with almost anything, chasing down the newest toy is pretty pointless. At one time with digital, newer stuff was helpful as technology developed but today that is far less so.

When I was first converting to digital I found Luminous Landscape to be a good site.
I second this site! I haven't registered, but I read the free articles sometimes.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 05:52 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

The guy who insulted me apologized after I asked him why he was condescending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
That was pretty nice till today. I asked what aftermarket in wall battery chargers people prefer. A poster said “Duh, why did you ask that?” I complained to the moderator. We’ll see if that works.

I think I will stop posting and only read. I will look at Fred Miranda. There was a Sony board that I used to use. I will look for that one. I have no idea why so many people on that board are so mean, but I will look for other boards.
I will check Luminous Landscapes. Thank you.
Old 31 May 2019, 08:26 AM   #8
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Funny, but I have never posted because of the quick digressions into pissy-ness that I have also seen on the Sony and Mac sub-forums. However, the folks posting on the landscape and travel photography sub-forums seem genuinely willing to help people improve their skills without being insulting.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 09:33 AM   #9
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
https://www.kenrockwell.com/
This is a good site.
Old 31 May 2019, 09:39 AM   #10
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I used to visit and post there. It was one of best digital photography forums at that time. It's been more than 10years since the last time I was there.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 02:50 PM   #11
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by junamuan View Post
I used to visit and post there. It was one of best digital photography forums at that time. It's been more than 10years since the last time I was there.
Same here.
Old 31 May 2019, 03:27 PM   #12
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Ken Rockwell does have a good site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
https://www.kenrockwell.com/
This is a good site.
I emailed him recently and he promptly responded. Which I appreciate because I suppose he gets a lot of emails.
Old 31 May 2019, 08:48 PM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Does anyone post on the camera site DPReview?

You wuss

It is hard to find any forum as nice as TRF and your experience points that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 11:54 PM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I would kick some butts back, but I don’t want to get kicked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You wuss

It is hard to find any forum as nice as TRF and your experience points that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe I should go down in flames!