The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 April 2020, 02:22 AM   #1
doramas
Banned

Your Rolex is more than a watch?

To me, my Datejust is more than a watch. It is my companion for adventures, parties, dinners... it has been in the best moments of my life and also in the worst ones.

My Datejust 16234 is 31 years old and I am 43, and although I have other watches, and even other Rolexes, in my wrist there is always my Datejust.

doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:27 AM   #2
Flyfisher
"TRF" Member

No, it's just a watch.

But it brings life's associations, both good and bad, when you glance at it. It's part of your life.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:58 AM   #3
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

we all have some items that been with us through out our lives journey.

For me its my motorcycle and Casio pro trek watch. Rolex is new so it does not have any importance to me.

However the journey is still going and both Casio and motorcycle are with me now we got a Rolex too.

But when I will die probably my son will took the Casio, too much stories on that.
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:03 AM   #4
FoolioABC
"TRF" Member

I have a small, nice collection of various watches, but go out of my way to wear my BLNR when I'm doing memorable stuff (provided it's not something liable to deglove my hand).
FoolioABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:13 AM   #5
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Just a watch for me. I never personify material things. It does what it needs to do and I wear it. If it doesn't, it's not worth my time.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:23 AM   #6
Flyoverguy
"TRF" Member

Just a watch. Not a magical talisman. I enjoy wearing watches in general and have a few to choose from - Rolex among them.
Flyoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:31 AM   #7
Pim
Banned

I'm jealous as fuck when people say that a watch is just a watch, I wish I could be like that. I'm superspecious as fuck and my watches are a part of that.

When things go right I tend to feel a deeper connection to my watches, when things go wrong I consider my watch to be tired and that it is time to switch them up

Like I said, I wish I was more leve headed about that
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:35 AM   #8
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Your Rolex is more than a watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
To me, my Datejust is more than a watch. It is my companion for adventures, parties, dinners... it has been in the best moments of my life and also in the worst ones.

My Datejust 16234 is 31 years old and I am 43, and although I have other watches, and even other Rolexes, in my wrist there is always my Datejust.

I’ve always been an admirer to one watch wearers. It enchants me when I see the same person with the same watch still together after a decade or two of knowing them.
I am myself one. I like it not for the watch per se but for what that watch becomes after so many years in the wrist. It’s special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 April 2020, 03:50 AM   #9
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I agree OP, definitely not "just a watch" for me. It's much more personal than that. There are many goods that are just what they are and have no further meaning - TV, fridge, washing machine, phone, computer - these are all high quality devices that I'm very grateful for, but they have no meaning outside themselves.

A watch is something very personal that can become an extension of you, for better or worse. It can take on great sentimental value, can take on a story, be passed down to your kid or nephew or whomever. The right watch tells you where you've been, where you're at, and maybe where you're going.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:37 AM   #10
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
I’ve always been an admirer to one watch wearers. It enchants me when I see the same person with the same watch still together after a decade or two of knowing them.
I am myself one. I like it not for the watch per se but for what that watch becomes after so many years in the wrist. It’s special.

Agree with this 100%

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:49 AM   #11
schoolboy
Banned

To me it’s a symbol of hard work and discipline.

And security too. I feel like if I was stranded in another country I can trade it for money and find my way back home.

Or something to that effect.

I also see it as my life partner.

I do get attached to things. Since I was little.

I am currently wearing a chain and pendant that I have had since I was like 13 years old.

I like “things.” Specifically things that last.

And I don’t see a problem with that.
Old 14 April 2020, 04:49 AM   #12
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Well yeah, I guess I can use my GMT as a makeshift compass too...

But seriously, while that’s not only true for the one Rolex I ended up keeping, but for other watches in the collection too, they certainly take on a character over time, as memory after memory, however insignificant, is etched into the case and bracelet and the dial transitions from an object of admiration to a token of comforting familiarity. Not all watches do that however, oddly enough, and these are generally the ones that get replaced eventually.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:56 AM   #13
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I see what your saying it has been with you through thick and thin. I personally don't get that attached to objects but hey whatever works. Love those pics
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 05:41 AM   #14
WCHROLX
Banned

Rolex is a luxury watch and i don't also see it as just an ordinary watch, It really mean more tan that for me.
WCHROLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 06:03 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great reference OP, glad to see you enjoy making memories with it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 06:29 AM   #16
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post

I know exactly how you feel about it.
I have a hammer that I'm equally attached to and shared a great many years with even though it's probably on its fourth handle
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 06:34 AM   #17
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Clearly, more than just a watch. Also talk to it, and it talks back. We do other stuff together (kidding, in case you haven’t noticed. I do love my watches :)

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:53 AM   #18
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I have a hammer that I'm equally attached to and shared a great many years with even though it's probably on its fourth handle

Awesome

Hodinkee made an article comparing a watch to a hammer. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 14 April 2020, 07:57 AM   #19
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post

Found the picture I have of the article!

Check it out:

Old 14 April 2020, 08:09 AM   #20
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Rolexes are very nice but they’re just watches. I love mine but would sell in a heart beat if I had to
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 08:14 AM   #21
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nice pics! Here's to many more good memories with it.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 08:33 AM   #22
genkifd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
i love my SD43 but at the end of the day if push come the shove i would have to let it go. but i would sell two of my cars first (out of 3).
SKX007 Japanese version
genkifd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:07 AM   #23
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Nice watch and great adventures specially in Egypt! You are lucky, not many tourists in your the background.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:46 AM   #24
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
We get some people that interpret the op post as quite literal, saying no it’s just a watch or no they are just objects. I will disagree that sentiment. The reality is, everything from objects such as religious ornaments, wedding bands, engagement rings, homes, and yes even people become significant because of the meaning we give them and the meaning that becomes associated with them. This happens even with people, we get sad when we hear sad things, but get profoundly more impacted if that sad thing happens to our relationships which have become personal and endowed by meaning. To be clear, im not putting people and objects on the same level, but the meaning we place on a watch and the role and stories that become associated with them are deeply and profoundly woven into our personal narratives. I look at my wedding picture and can see my 16610, the same given to me on Christmas Day a few years prior by my now deceased mother, and the same worn by me over a decade later during the birth of my son, and then a couple years later at a family funeral. So, no it’s become more than an object. One looks at family photos and there is me and my 16610, it’s become part of my narrative. Its Not surprising that many here see them as just objects, with all the posts on how much is it worth, did corona make the prices drop, etc.

The meaning can only happen if one wears, actually wears their watch, so as it bares with eww to ones life, not saying hey is it safe to wear it out of the house, can I wear it in the pool, etc and actually wears the watch day in and day out and does not constantly flip them or try to make a fast buck, or upgrading to the latest and greatest. For the folks that see watches as just objects and nothing more, i say spend some time with your watch, take it out of the safe, put it on...the meaning will come.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:05 AM   #25
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
My watches and some other nice things I've acquired represent a certain measure of success for me in the professional world. I wear them for me and enjoy the feeling I get when I look at my wrist and admire the watch I'm wearing. I've never purchased a watch to commemorate anything and I don't associate them with specific events or adventures in my life but I can understand how someone might do that.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:08 AM   #26
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I look back at previous purchases and end up associating an event with it that happened around that time. I must have had a reason to get one. ..right?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:26 AM   #27
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Found the picture I have of the article!

Check it out:

Thanks
I had no idea of anything like that
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:29 AM   #28
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Your watch and your hammer.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:42 AM   #29
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Old 14 April 2020, 11:43 AM   #30
TimelessQuality
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post

I agree with this, and is one reason that I'm also a "one watch guy".
TimelessQuality is offline   Reply With Quote