The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 April 2020, 11:50 AM   #31
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
We get some people that interpret the op post as quite literal, saying no it’s just a watch or no they are just objects. I will disagree that sentiment. The reality is, everything from objects such as religious ornaments, wedding bands, engagement rings, homes, and yes even people become significant because of the meaning we give them and the meaning that becomes associated with them. This happens even with people, we get sad when we hear sad things, but get profoundly more impacted if that sad thing happens to our relationships which have become personal and endowed by meaning. To be clear, im not putting people and objects on the same level, but the meaning we place on a watch and the role and stories that become associated with them are deeply and profoundly woven into our personal narratives. I look at my wedding picture and can see my 16610, the same given to me on Christmas Day a few years prior by my now deceased mother, and the same worn by me over a decade later during the birth of my son, and then a couple years later at a family funeral. So, no it’s become more than an object. One looks at family photos and there is me and my 16610, it’s become part of my narrative. Its Not surprising that many here see them as just objects, with all the posts on how much is it worth, did corona make the prices drop, etc.

The meaning can only happen if one wears, actually wears their watch, so as it bares with eww to ones life, not saying hey is it safe to wear it out of the house, can I wear it in the pool, etc and actually wears the watch day in and day out and does not constantly flip them or try to make a fast buck, or upgrading to the latest and greatest. For the folks that see watches as just objects and nothing more, i say spend some time with your watch, take it out of the safe, put it on...the meaning will come.
well said
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:52 AM   #32
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I must answer, “no my Rolexes are nothing more than watches”.

But my Omega is much more - now beginning it’s 7th decade with me - since my parents gifted it to me way back then.

Sorry for the detour...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:54 AM   #33
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
My watch is my best friend.
Not really. It's just a watch.
Old 14 April 2020, 12:01 PM   #34
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Op's post immediately reminded me of Boston's "More Than a Feeling"
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 12:07 PM   #35
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
We get some people that interpret the op post as quite literal, saying no it’s just a watch or no they are just objects. I will disagree that sentiment. The reality is, everything from objects such as religious ornaments, wedding bands, engagement rings, homes, and yes even people become significant because of the meaning we give them and the meaning that becomes associated with them. This happens even with people, we get sad when we hear sad things, but get profoundly more impacted if that sad thing happens to our relationships which have become personal and endowed by meaning. To be clear, im not putting people and objects on the same level, but the meaning we place on a watch and the role and stories that become associated with them are deeply and profoundly woven into our personal narratives. I look at my wedding picture and can see my 16610, the same given to me on Christmas Day a few years prior by my now deceased mother, and the same worn by me over a decade later during the birth of my son, and then a couple years later at a family funeral. So, no it’s become more than an object. One looks at family photos and there is me and my 16610, it’s become part of my narrative. Its Not surprising that many here see them as just objects, with all the posts on how much is it worth, did corona make the prices drop, etc.

The meaning can only happen if one wears, actually wears their watch, so as it bares with eww to ones life, not saying hey is it safe to wear it out of the house, can I wear it in the pool, etc and actually wears the watch day in and day out and does not constantly flip them or try to make a fast buck, or upgrading to the latest and greatest. For the folks that see watches as just objects and nothing more, i say spend some time with your watch, take it out of the safe, put it on...the meaning will come.
Totally agree, well put!

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 12:10 PM   #36
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Rolexes are very nice but they’re just watches. I love mine but would sell in a heart beat if I had to
Same here.

No time for too much sentiment in my book, out with the old and in with the new.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 12:40 PM   #37
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

But my Omega is much more - now beginning it’s 7th decade with me - since my parents gifted it to me way back then.

Sorry for the detour...

Beautiful! A priceless timepiece for you
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 12:50 PM   #38
pholzer
Banned

Rolex watches are beautiful watches, life is easier when you have a time piece that tells the accurate time you will have much value especially knowing you made an accurate choice in your purchase....lol...I’m also a big Rolex fam....enjoy your Rolex folks.
pholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:32 PM   #39
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Sorry for the detour...

Wonderful
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:19 PM   #40
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

There is no wrong answer to this question. People place value on different things.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:50 PM   #41
LuxuryWatchSales
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I believe so, I think memories become attached to some of these pieces.

Always nice to put on a piece after not wearing it for a while and remembering
certain moments.
LuxuryWatchSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:07 PM   #42
Twmffat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea 116660
Just a watch, that stops working 6 years after purchase (from new at AD) and then has to be sent to Rolex for service at an eyewatering cost.
Twmffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:20 PM   #43
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmffat View Post
Just a watch, that stops working 6 years after purchase (from new at AD) and then has to be sent to Rolex for service at an eyewatering cost.

Funny and true. Not so funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:22 PM   #44
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg

Difft times difft watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 06:05 PM   #45
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Definitely. I could never get more than 2-5 years out of my Casios. But a Rolex can be with you a lifetime or more.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 06:24 PM   #46
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I'm with John on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
I agree OP, definitely not "just a watch" for me. It's much more personal than that. There are many goods that are just what they are and have no further meaning - TV, fridge, washing machine, phone, computer - these are all high quality devices that I'm very grateful for, but they have no meaning outside themselves.

A watch is something very personal that can become an extension of you, for better or worse. It can take on great sentimental value, can take on a story, be passed down to your kid or nephew or whomever. The right watch tells you where you've been, where you're at, and maybe where you're going.
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 06:45 PM   #47
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What a great post!
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:47 PM   #48
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
There is no wrong answer to this question. People place value on different things.
True.
Just listening to the tv a few minutes ago and there was a story about a guy who lost his pride and joy ride-on-mower in the catastrophic bushfires whilst he was away from his property. He was quite devastated about it.
A good samaritan hooked him up with another one they had sitting around in a shed
I hope he has an equally rewarding relationship with the replacement.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:10 PM   #49
Jetblack57
"TRF" Member

Any decent watch, especially a Rolex which is known worldwide is universal currency & is a ticket home, or out of a sticky possibly life-threatening situation, fingers crossed not the latter.
Jetblack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:17 AM   #50
doramas
Banned

My Datejust is obviously a watch, but it is my watch, which will always be with me even if I have better watches. Maybe in the future I will sell all the watches but my Datejust will stay until my end.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:23 AM   #51
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I had a pair of contact lenses when my first son was born in 1980. I wonder where they are now.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 03:17 AM   #52
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Interesting thread. I'm guilty of attaching sentiment to objects. I have two of my father's watches, my mom's wedding band set, grandmother's china, silver, old photos (some 90 years old), furniture my great great grandfather made, I'm currently wearing a beautiful Omega watch that belonged to my wife's grandfather, you get the idea. My wife on the other hand couldn't care less about "things." Things sometimes keep us connected with the past, for some, maybe that's not a good thing. My 80+ year old neighbor once said, "don't love anything that can't love you back," I guess that's the other side of the coin.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 03:26 AM   #53
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
no meaning other than a luxury watch
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 03:38 AM   #54
djyolky
Banned

My Rolex is just a watch that I enjoy. Nothing more.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 03:41 AM   #55
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Beautiful, classic Rolex. My 36mm DateJust gets more wrist time, than my SS Submariner. I love it’s simplicity, and understated look. The quintessential Rolex.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 04:41 AM   #56
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I started off in the mindset that it was more than a watch: my first was the result of years of saving (and a bit of money as an early birthday gift from my parents) that I thought I'd never sell. But times changed, as did my experiences and thoughts. Some bad memories finished it off for good and I moved on to other watches.

I'll never forget that watch or what it meant to me. But for a sentimental person such as myself, it was a good reminder that a watch is just a watch. It's the memories that are most important.
Old 15 April 2020, 05:46 AM   #57
landroverking
"TRF" Member

The Rolexes I have bought all marked a special time in my life.
Believe it or not, not all special moments were good.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 07:54 AM   #58
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
To me, my Datejust is more than a watch. It is my companion for adventures, parties, dinners... it has been in the best moments of my life and also in the worst ones.

My Datejust 16234 is 31 years old and I am 43, and although I have other watches, and even other Rolexes, in my wrist there is always my Datejust.

Impressive. Now that we can't travel...
Old 15 April 2020, 09:20 AM   #59
Joe_Row
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Every Rolex tell’s a story.
Joe_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:19 AM   #60
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Does this raise the question of multiple watches vs one watch?
Seems like a good argument for just one watch?
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote