The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2020, 12:16 AM   #1
charliemario
"TRF" Member

Icon13 I dont get the Pepsi

could someone please tell me why so many people want Pepsi?
honestly I get Daytona, and I get the snoopy omega.
just this Pepsi.
it looks like a joke. blue and red, what, is it Stars and Stripes?
also the concept is silly. blue and red for day and night, like a kid's doodling

oh and I posted already and it got removed.
some Pepsi extremist please let the thread live :)
charliemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 12:52 AM   #2
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure what you mean. But I have both, and I can tell you that although I think both are beautiful, there have been several times that I have glanced at the Pepsi and felt this wow almost mesmerized reaction and appreciation for the watch, and I have not felt that way to the same degree with my stainless steel Daytona, or Hulk. It's definitely one of the hottest pieces for good reason.

From the engineering and beauty of the bracelet, to the bicolored bezel, the history that heritage, the date... Just love it

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 12:53 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Red/blue are the original GMT watch colors from 1953 when it was designed. They matched, and represented, pilot cockpit instruments.

The upper, blue half represents the sky and safe flying, while the lower represents danger and ground impact, similar to the artificial horizon, the primary instrument.

Usually we do delete troll posts such as this, because it is little more than a kids doodling with silly context. However, the GMT does have history, so perhaps some good will come of it.
Old 8 July 2020, 12:54 AM   #4
ec00421
Banned

to each his own, i guess.
ec00421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 12:56 AM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Red/blue are the original GMT watch colors from 1953 when it was designed. They matched, and represented, pilot cockpit instruments.

The upper, blue half represents the sky and safe flying, while the lower represents danger and ground impact, similar to the artificial horizon, the primary instrument.

Usually we do delete troll posts such as this, because it is little more than a kids doodling with silly context. However, the GMT does have history, so perhaps some good will come of it.
Great information as always!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 12:58 AM   #6
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Go to "Jake's Rolex Magazine" and click on history of the GMT on the right column. A historical design that's been around since 1955. Unmistakable look, heritage--a true homage watch. Read how many astronauts and military pilots have worn the Pepsi. I own 3 Rolex but the "Pepsi" is "THE" watch in my book. Being a commercial airline pilot I will enjoy swapping out between my Batman, Tudor BB GMT and Pepsi when I fly. Been on the waiting list for 2.5 years........
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 12:59 AM   #7
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:

Well played
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:01 AM   #8
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Original GMT design. The purists love the nostalgia and it's hot af so all the new kids on the block love it too. Personally, i prefer the atheistic of the BNLR but the history of the BNRO can not and should not be overlooked and would pull me towards the pepsi.

To quote Eric Wind, "Sometimes the original is the best".
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:02 AM   #9
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I agree with the Op about the colours -- the Pepsi has never clicked with me. Blue for night (when the sky is black) and red for day (when the sky is blue) has never made much sense to me, and I'm also just not keen on that particular combination on a watch. I much prefer the BLNR both aesthetically and functionally.

But, I also don't have trouble understanding why other people might like it. People like different things, and people especially like different colours. Folks who can't wrap their head around that must come from an oddly narrow upbringing.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:02 AM   #10
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Other than the historical significance of the blue and red GMT, I find the colour combination striking and a welcome change from more sober looking pieces. A fun watch to look at IMHO.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:06 AM   #11
djyolky
Banned

One thing is certain, black for night and blue for day, as the BLNR is, is much more intuitive.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:09 AM   #12
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
The popularity of the BLNR and BLRO GMT is mostly based on hype.
It's the same watch as the GMT LN but with a colorfull bezel but people are willing to pay 150-200% extra for the colors because it's the latest and greatest thing you see on social media.
Old 8 July 2020, 01:11 AM   #13
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
The gmt colors make distinguishing between day and night presumably easier, though that makes sense with the black and blue more than blue/red theme. That said I loved the look of the 5 digit as the colors and wrist presence are more subdued. That said, I do feel like the 6 digits are very blingy and the many colors of the Pepsi (silver, black, red, blue) feels a little costume like and not something I would feel comfortable wearing myself. The bigger lugs, jubilee, and pastel colors make it very loud on the wrist and not for me.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:13 AM   #14
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

This info makes the thread worthwhile imho. This is very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:14 AM   #15
THE FURY
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you, I also am not a fan of the Pepsi but your explanation puts the colour scheme in context for me and perhaps the next time I see one, it will feel different.
Old 8 July 2020, 01:17 AM   #16
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Having blue and red makes it easier to read the second and third time zones.

What dont you get? The design? Or the hype?

The design makes sense.

The hype doesnt. But same goes for daytona and snoopy.

I even dont understand the screwdown pusher of the daytona.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:19 AM   #17
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Quote:

Thanks for the info
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:22 AM   #18
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The popularity of the BLNR and BLRO GMT is mostly based on hype.
It's the same watch as the GMT LN but with a colorfull bezel but people are willing to pay 150-200% extra for the colors because it's the latest and greatest thing you see on social media.
Or because they like the colours more?

I paid an extra $1200 for a BLNR over an LN. I don't think the green on the LN works, and I think the blue on the BLNR works very well. If I'm willing to pay $5000 extra for better fit and finish, why wouldn't I pay $1200 more on top of that for the colours I prefer?

The entire luxury watch industry is built on the idea that you pay a lot more for a little extra. We're paying 100 times a basic watch for something less accurate. How can it surprise anyone that a preferred colour or minor improvement is worth thousands to people, when that's the logic behind luxury watches in the first place?
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:25 AM   #19
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemario View Post
just this Pepsi.
also the concept is silly. blue and red for day and night, like a kid's doodling

Let's see pictures of your watches.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:27 AM   #20
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Quote:
just this Pepsi.

Your post is like kids doodling.

Spend one minute searching for the history of the gmt, the 6542, the color way, the jubilee bracelet, its reintroduction, the history of the ceramic insert ...
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:30 AM   #21
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
i feel the same about capital letters.
dp
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:31 AM   #22
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I thought the red and blue were also a nod toward the Pan American Airlines logo?

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:32 AM   #23
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
i feel the same about capital letters.
dp

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:33 AM   #24
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I did not know this bit of history. Very cool.

Also, to the OP (who I assume won’t be returning to this thread anyway): You don’t understand the Pepsi because it’s like a kid’s doodling, but you like the Snoopy Omega which literally has a drawing for kids on it? Weird post all around.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:34 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
just this Pepsi.

I think Rolex wanted to show solidarity with the newly born state of South Korea with inspiration from her new national colors in 1953 with the signing of the Armistice and a new GMT design.

(And, I won’t allow you to show preference for a Daytona, one of 10000 bruh bro bud light and muscle milk beaches in Florida over the glorious colors of S Korea.)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:36 AM   #26
djyolky
Banned

Quote:

That's not true. The attitude indicators in cockpits are blue and brown representing the sky and earth. How does red fit in? Lol

djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:38 AM   #27
rrsport
"TRF" Member

Quote:

awesome info here!
rrsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:40 AM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
That's not true. The attitude indicators in cockpits are blue and brown representing the sky and earth. How does red fit in? Lol

Ya!!!

How dare Mr. Tools!!!!

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:47 AM   #29
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Funny you ask that from South Korea as you have both colours in your flag.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:49 AM   #30
vh2k
"TRF" Member

I don’t love it... but I certainly understand how iconic it is for Rolex enthusiasts. For 99% of the population who don’t care about timepieces, it just looks like a goofy cartoonish-colored watch.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote