The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 December 2022, 07:37 AM   #1
paxfitz
"TRF" Member

Trying to pinpoint a year of manufacture Oyster Precision 6424

Hi,
New to the forum but hoping to find out about a watch that was handed down to me following the passing of an uncle.
Had a general search and it seems to be from around the early 1960's, Oyster Precision model no 6424/0.
However I cant see any other images that have the same dial hands (seconds/hour) that appear as "arrows".
Also a slight concern that there is no "swiss made" stamp below the 6 o'clock position. Is this normal or were watches of a similar year made with out this stamp? I know the watch was serviced in the mid 2010's if that helps?
Had it looked at by a Rolex approved vendor recently as it was running 5-6 mins fast per hour. All fixed up now and keeping perfect time. Just forgot to ask the watchmaker for this info at the time.
While I have no intention of selling (sentimental value), would anyone have an idea of its worth?
Photos are attached, the difference in colour is with/without flash from the camera.
Looking forward to learning a bit more of this famous brand.
Thanks,
Patrick��
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no 1.jpg (165.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg no 2.jpg (157.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpeg no 3.jpeg (167.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg no 4.jpg (89.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg no 5.jpg (43.7 KB, 80 views)
paxfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 09:03 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It appears to me that the dial was repainted at some point, so it will be a bit difficult to identify a year of manufacture with "precision", without the serial number. The reference number and the serial number are between the lugs of the watch. You should be able to see them and post photos if you remove the strap. BTW, those hands are generally called lance or alpha style hands and may be correct for the watch, in which case the dial probably had lume at one point also. The shape of the sweep hand doesn't look right to me, however. So overall, some restoration has been done over the years, which is not surprising.
Old 31 December 2022, 10:11 AM   #3
330ci
"TRF" Member

I would guess 60-64 based on the hands. They appear to be relumed, with a possible seconds hand replacement as mentioned, Dial is refinished as mentioned by Dan as well
Bracelet is non original too.

The 6424 was a 36mm case which makes them kind of sought after/rare. Although IIRC the dial was larger than a standard midsized "Oyster" making replacement dials rather hard to find. Not sure if RSC still supports servicing these watches, but due to their scarcity, you might get lucky?

If you posted the S/N that would definitely aid in pinpointing. The inside of the case back should be stamped as well
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 10:40 AM   #4
paxfitz
"TRF" Member

Thanks both for your responses.
I have a service card that was in the pouch the watch came with. The SN is 678928 and with a model no 6424/0 and a date of service of 11th Nov 2015 / 160. Not sure what the 160 means after the date.
I'm also not sure of what "work" was carried out at that service.

The lance/alpha hands have a little luminescence when in the dark but nothing appearing on the dial.

I had thought the bracelet was not the original and unfortunately I'm not sure what happened the original. Would this style have come originally with a link bracelet or a strap? Thinking of getting it switched to a more authentic style.
Old 31 December 2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

The approximate production year would be 1961. If you want to add a more authentic period-correct bracelet, you might consider a so-called rivet bracelet with end-links that are the correct width, presumably 20mm. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive, mainly because they are frequently used with sport watches such as GMT-Masters and Submariners. The Swiss-made 7206 bracelets are $2k+, the USA-made C&I bracelets are less expensive, but still over $1k.

See here for an example: https://hqmilton.com/products/1964-r...precision-6424
Old 31 December 2022, 09:17 PM   #6
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
160 is a UK (160 'region' punch on new watch UK paperwork btw) serviced watch I think, but not 100% on that !

100% redial - you can a slightly scruffy used one from £200-300 upwards, if you search eBay etc though...
And hope that we will never see the truth around
Uprising - MUSE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 07:23 AM   #7
paxfitz
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dan and Paul for your feedback and knowledge on this. The 160 region makes sense as my uncle lived in Cardiff for decades.
In relation to the dial/redial, and looking at other posts, is it from an Air King model?
BTW, enjoying looking through the forum to learn more about these watches and related.
Happy New Year.
Patrick