The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 June 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
427shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dj2 tt, 126610LV
Seiko diver fans step in

Since receiving my orange monster late last week I'm on a seiko diver kick. I have a new found respect for them and am looking into getting another one very soon. I actually seem to be really stuck on the sumo blue dial, any one have experience with this model? I red a lot of reviews on it, just would like to hear some 1st hand feed back. I also love the mighty tuna, but that's about double the price. Should I spring for the sumo or hold out for the tuna? Also are there any other classic seiko divers for around 500 I should look into ?

Old 6 June 2013, 04:16 PM   #2
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Lots of Seiko diver action recently

I owned a Blue Sumo for little and got rid of it. I bought one because I had just gotten rid of my MM300 ( which I recently re-procured and is in transit ) and had set my expectations high as its replacement (which it is not -- the MM300 is priced three to four times as much and rightfully so in the flesh). It's a nice enough watch but was really disproportionate for me (6.75" wrists) and didn't keep very good time. It was overly top heavy and the bracelet just didn't feel correct for a watch of its size.

Between the two I would go for the SBBN015. It's the only Tuna I would consider and the only quartz I would ever want aside from high accuracy quartz as the 7C46 movement was specifically designed for the watch. I've never seen one in the flesh but the bracelet has the ratcheting Marine Master dive extension which is nice during the summer months -- think of it as an rudimentary Pelagos clasp. It also appeals to me because it's not a black tuna and has a nice bracelet with accessible lugs for various straps.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 07:07 PM   #3
fmc000
Banned

Since you already bought a mechanical I'd say go for the Tuna! It's on a totally different level, a much nicer watch in all aspects (even the price, of course).

I'm a little biased on this, actually :-) Here is my SBBN007

fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
Don't own this one anymore, but fun while it lasted

jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Best bang for your $$$
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept 19 2011 010.JPG (159.5 KB, 345 views)

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I wear my kinetic and the monster now and then.

And the Astron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03922r.jpg (250.6 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03925r.jpg (219.3 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009r.jpg (134.1 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08091rf.jpg (219.5 KB, 342 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 12:21 AM   #7
427shark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
Lots of Seiko diver action recently

I owned a Blue Sumo for little and got rid of it. I bought one because I had just gotten rid of my MM300 ( which I recently re-procured and is in transit ) and had set my expectations high as its replacement (which it is not -- the MM300 is priced three to four times as much and rightfully so in the flesh). It's a nice enough watch but was really disproportionate for me (6.75" wrists) and didn't keep very good time. It was overly top heavy and the bracelet just didn't feel correct for a watch of its size.

Between the two I would go for the SBBN015. It's the only Tuna I would consider and the only quartz I would ever want aside from high accuracy quartz as the 7C46 movement was specifically designed for the watch. I've never seen one in the flesh but the bracelet has the ratcheting Marine Master dive extension which is nice during the summer months -- think of it as an rudimentary Pelagos clasp. It also appeals to me because it's not a black tuna and has a nice bracelet with accessible lugs for various straps.
Good advice. . When you did own the sumo how was it? What made you get rid of it? .. I do love the tuna and just checked out the bracelet, it looks very well made. . I would've went for the mechanical instead of the quarts, but now looking into quarts
Old 7 June 2013, 12:22 AM   #8
427shark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Since you already bought a mechanical I'd say go for the Tuna! It's on a totally different level, a much nicer watch in all aspects (even the price, of course).

I'm a little biased on this, actually :-) Here is my SBBN007

Looks great! I know it's a pretty big watch, how's it wear?
Old 7 June 2013, 12:24 AM   #9
427shark
"TRF" Member

Also if anyone knows a good place to buy these things from I'd appreciate the recommendations. Some of the place seem a little shady that ship them to the U.S.
Old 7 June 2013, 02:21 AM   #10
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427shark View Post
Good advice. . When you did own the sumo how was it? What made you get rid of it? .. I do love the tuna and just checked out the bracelet, it looks very well made. . I would've went for the mechanical instead of the quarts, but now looking into quarts
Unbalanced proportions, poor time keeping (even though it can be regulated), and overall inflated expectations when compared to the SBDX001 prompted me to sell but YMMV. People get so excited about their Seikos that I began to wonder if it was a worthwhile alternative for the Marine Master series and my conclusion was that it is not. My impression was that it was priced accordingly whereas the Marine Master series are bargains imho. That make sense?
Old 7 June 2013, 02:27 AM   #11
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also if anyone knows a good place to buy these things from I'd appreciate the recommendations. Some of the place seem a little shady that ship them to the U.S.

The Big Three are Seiya, Higuchi and Chino Watches. All three are top notch and all their prices include S&H

I've always purchased from Seiya but that's because Seiya-san usually has a better inventory and impeccable customer service. You'll pay a little more for it but he corresponds quickly and even gives you EMS tracking which works with USPS tracking website. If you don't see an actual purchase icon for the watch on his website it doesn't necessarily mean it's out of stock. You'd need to email him.

I've heard nothing but great things about Higuchi and Chino but they always seem a bit limited in inventory. The plus is that they are usually cheaper than Seiya so an email to all three would be in order... Higuchi-san usually has the best prices of all three.

I just checked all three and it looks like Chino and Seiya have the Tuna at a $90 difference (as expected). Seiya has the black Sumo but doesn't have the Blue listed currently... Chino is sold out ... Higuchi has all three listed but that doesn't mean he has any... I would still email all three to be sure.
Old 7 June 2013, 03:59 AM   #12
427shark
"TRF" Member

Sierra11b thanks for all the great info you saved me a ton of time and probably a few headaches also
Old 7 June 2013, 04:12 AM   #13
JacksonExports
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC ND
I have owned the 017,015, and 013 Tunas, but never had a Sumo. I did own 2 MM300's though. So I will only comment on the Tuna. I found that the Tuna is an excellent Tool diver and it's as good as currency if you decide to sell. Very little to lose if it's not for you. I like the bezel of the 015 but not much of a fan of the bracelet. Some will disagree but for me a tool diver belongs on rubber and a dress diver on a bracelet. The Sumo is more of a dress diver to me. For me in the long run if it's a keeper the Tuna is a better choice. No service to be done except to replace a $2 battery every 5 years. With the Tuna you will get a watch that will give you spot on accuracy, Toughness, and style that will last a lifetime. My choice is the 015
JacksonExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 05:13 AM   #14
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sierra11b thanks for all the great info you saved me a ton of time and probably a few headaches also
My pleasure!
Old 7 June 2013, 05:30 AM   #15
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Looks great! I know it's a pretty big watch, how's it wear?
I'm a skinny guy with a 6,5 inches wrist and the Tuna wears great! It's a big watch but it has hidden lugs and, being a quartz, it's not thick and heavy on the wrist.

I choose the SBBN007 because it doesn't come with a bracelet and so it's lighter than, for example, the newer SBBN015 (not to mention the Darth Tuna of the Emperor).
Old 7 June 2013, 05:33 AM   #16
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonExports View Post
I have owned the 017,015, and 013 Tunas, but never had a Sumo. I did own 2 MM300's though. So I will only comment on the Tuna. I found that the Tuna is an excellent Tool diver and it's as good as currency if you decide to sell. Very little to lose if it's not for you. I like the bezel of the 015 but not much of a fan of the bracelet. Some will disagree but for me a tool diver belongs on rubber and a dress diver on a bracelet. The Sumo is more of a dress diver to me. For me in the long run if it's a keeper the Tuna is a better choice. No service to be done except to replace a $2 battery every 5 years. With the Tuna you will get a watch that will give you spot on accuracy, Toughness, and style that will last a lifetime. My choice is the 015
100% agree, I actually chose the SBBN007 as it comes without a bracelet. I also used to own a SBDX001 but I eventually sold it because it was too thick and uncomfortable to wear in winter under a snow jacket.
Old 7 June 2013, 05:34 AM   #17
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Blumo is my favorite Seiko and i was ready to buy it until i got the tuna fever which is contagious.

So in less than 2 weeks i bought 2 of them. A mint preloved SBBN017 and a BNIB SBBN015 which arrived before a few hours.

So very happy with my latest obsession

SBBN017

SBBN015

together

PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 05:37 AM   #18
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
I bought my Tuna second had on Yahoo.jp with the help of Buyee. It was a heck of a bargain!
Old 7 June 2013, 05:40 AM   #19
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
Blumo is my favorite Seiko and i was ready to buy it until i got the tuna fever which is contagious.

So in less than 2 weeks i bought 2 of them. A mint preloved SBBN017 and a BNIB SBBN015 which arrived before a few hours.

SBBN017

SBBN015

together

Very nice pair, congratulations.
Old 7 June 2013, 05:48 AM   #20
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Very nice pair, congratulations.
Thank you, Sir Enjoy your beautiful 007
Old 7 June 2013, 05:56 AM   #21
longreach380
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega,PAM,MM300
very nice, Panos. I am hoping to put the SBDB001 into my collection soon...but the AUD is on a downward spiral right now and the price goes up daily.
longreach380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 06:01 AM   #22
JacksonExports
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post

SBBN017

SBBN015

together

sounds like me last year, I bought the 017,015,and 013 all in a month's time. It's a sickness.
JacksonExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 06:27 AM   #23
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longreach380 View Post
very nice, Panos. I am hoping to put the SBDB001 into my collection soon...but the AUD is on a downward spiral right now and the price goes up daily.
thanks a lot and early congrats for the SBDB001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonExports View Post
sounds like me last year, I bought the 017,015,and 013 all in a month's time. It's a sickness.
Oh no, my worst fear came true with the above statement..... i knew it that it's not gonna end well spending all my time in google images for the golgo 13
Old 7 June 2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Trandy
"TRF" Member

Seiko SRP043K1....if you can find one....they've been discontinued.

Here's mine on a Di Modell Chronissimo strap.....just got it back after having a sapphire crystal installed.

Trandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2013, 10:50 PM   #25
Glenn422
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I wear my kinetic and the monster now and then.

And the Astron.
Whats wrong with that Astron? Where's the 'P' in the 'GPS' on the dial?
Glenn422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 04:23 AM   #26
Peahi
"TRF" Member

Seiko vintage's

I have a boatload, but here are some favs.

You can buy a 6309 diver. Inexpensive and classy vintage diver

Not vintage (and MM is a bit over your budget)

Peahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 04:37 AM   #27
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Marine master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trandy View Post
Seiko SRP043K1....if you can find one....they've been discontinued.

Here's mine on a Di Modell Chronissimo strap.....just got it back after having a sapphire crystal installed.

Picked up this one here for a friend about a year ago, good looking watch!
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=181765
Old 13 June 2013, 10:01 PM   #28
Americandave
"TRF" Member

I recently purchased a marine master 300 from Seiya, and I could not be happier. I recommend saving for one if you can, it's a truly unique diver that to me represents a modern update on the classic 6309.

I used to own an SKX007, and while I agree it's a great value, the low power reserve and non-hacking movement drove me crazy. The 22mm bracelet size would be nice on the MM300 IMO, but it isn't a deal breaker.
Americandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2013, 12:54 PM   #29
rlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 25500TN
I briefly owned a Prospex SBCZ011 and sold it to save up for an MM300 which was my goal for a grail watch at the time.

It took me a while to save and just when I was about to pull the trigger last year I saw that the Pelagos had just been released and the rest was history.

Will always have a soft spot for Seiko divers though. They were what kicked started my watch obsession.
rlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2013, 08:17 PM   #30
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN