The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 August 2019, 12:50 PM   #1
08bonnie
"TRF" Member

First Seiko diver, worth the premium?

Hi Guys,

In the market for a diver and decided to visit my local Seiko ad this weekend. They had this new SPB087 diver in stock that I liked very much and was super comfortable on my 7.5" wrist. But with an msrp of $950 I didn't pull the trigger. Doing some research this evening for similar alternatives I found the SRP777 that can be had for around $350 and it also checks most of the boxes. I like the turtle case and the all black bezel. So I began investigating the differences and found the following:

SPB runs on the 6R15 movement with a 50 hour power reserve and +15/-25s accuracy.

The SRP runs on Seiko's 4R36 movement with -35/+45 and 40h power reserve.

The SPB has a Saphire crystal whereas the SRP has Seiko's Harlex mineral crystal.

Both seem to have the same strap and are similar dimensions. Both look to have aluminum bezels.

So the question begs; is the sapphire crystal and updated movement worth an additional $600? I know very little about the brand so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 01:27 PM   #2
climblaw25
"TRF" Member

Watch: too much Netflix
nice looking
climblaw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 02:14 PM   #3
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Mineral crystals scratch much easier than sapphire crystals.
Yet they are very difficult to polish unlike plastic crystals.
Something to consider. You will have to replace both sapphire and hardlex, there is no polishing.
The hardlex is just more likely to need replaced.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 02:45 PM   #4
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I would pick the one with the 6R15 movement and a sapphire crystal. Have you asked for a discount? Typically a Seiko at that level runs a 30% discount without much haggling. Some of the dealers actually offer the discount without asking.
That is a nice looking watch btw.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 02:47 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
This has always been a lingering issue with Seiko in the NA market. I think we're going to see a gradual upmarket push for all their watches very soon.

As for the accuracy, if you ask most techs, they'll tell you almost any mechanical watch can be regulated to near or better than COSC specs. Seikos out of the box can be hit or miss just like Citizen/Myota and Orient watches.

A simple SKX at about $250 is THE sub $500 Seiko to get. Then jump up to the SPB in the $900 range and then jump up to Spring Drives and go all for GS.

The thing about Seikos is you also have to wear them. On the wrist, the jumps in price feel like they're worth it. But not the gradual ones.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 08:32 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go for the SPB087. It is more for a reason and when you look at suggested retail that is just what it is. I believe you could close the gap in cost by $300-500 by shopping around, asking for discounts or buying slightly pre-owned. If the money was the same where would you be? So many good options from Seiko. Research and decide, either way I do not think you will be disappointed.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 09:06 PM   #7
08bonnie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
I would pick the one with the 6R15 movement and a sapphire crystal. Have you asked for a discount? Typically a Seiko at that level runs a 30% discount without much haggling. Some of the dealers actually offer the discount without asking.
That is a nice looking watch btw.
They offered 12% off without much effort.

Old 12 August 2019, 10:39 PM   #8
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

That's a nice looking watch, and while the sapphire is a nice upgrade, the 777 Turtle is pretty nice too. I just got it less than 2 months ago and it hasn't left my wrist. It's the lower grade movement but it's keeping time to within +7 seconds that last time I checked.

This is my first modern Seiko and I was always curious about the cushion style case, so I went to to Macy's to try one on... and that leads me to my next point... Macy's usually has great deals on watches... it seems like every week they have some sort of sale...and if you use your Macy's card it's an additional 20% off.

I got my Turtle for $260 when all the discounts were applied. Hard to not walk out with it at that point.

I think I do want a Pepsi bezel next time...and that SPB087 looks great, but given my positive experience with lesser priced Turtle I may go for for the SKX version to save the money.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:41 AM   #9
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I have a SPB071 which is similar. I’m wearing it now. And a 777. I prefer the 777. Just like the look.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:12 AM   #10
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08bonnie View Post
They offered 12% off without much effort.

My AD gives 25% on all Seikos except the reissues with zero haggling. Just sayin. 12% aint enough.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 05:15 AM   #11
08bonnie
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input. Haven't decided yet but getting closer. Did I mention they had an SLA 025? Are these going for a premium or can you get a discount? Nice piece but $5400 puts it in competition with lots of other great brands.

Old 13 August 2019, 08:31 PM   #12
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Trusted Seller David SW has one on his site for significantly less. The SLA033 is the one if you can still find it at an AD.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote