The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 5 September 2011, 09:08 PM   #31
RanHong
"TRF" Member

where is the facepalm guy? lolol we need him right here
RanHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 12:10 AM   #32
zeroshiki
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=rolexcd;2718253]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysol View Post
5)
Maybe this is not the watch for you then...since not ALL owners got a perfect one. I have never had "all owners are pleased with a perfect product" as a criteria in buying any product.

I, again, strongly dis-agree with the above statement. If I expect a quality issue with my PAM 339 (I am not sure if you would agree that the discolouring effect is a quality issue. May be, you consider not.) after I bought the watch, this is not the watch for me then.

I would say 99% of the members in this forum would want a perfect watch regardless of the amount they spend. As a customer, we all deserve to receive the best quality product. Do I expect a lot of issues with a watch that I spent with USD50? At USD50, I can then expected to take up all the defects which would come with it because I only spend USD50 for the watch?
totally agree with the statement above.. was about to pull the trigger on a GMTIIc today, cancelled my purchase because there's a lint stuck on the dial. i realize this is a small problem, a common one even, but i'm sure nobody would want to spend of money(regardless of amount) to have a watch that has to be sent in and get fixed when purchasing brand new.

in regards to pam 339, i think panerai has made a blunder. it's a special edition watch, marketed as the 1st composite case panerai ever, got a lot of attention from the watch crowd and an important watch for the company. even if only 'isolated incidents' for the case discoloration, they should do something about it instead of keeping silent, it's not gonna make a good impression. in comparison, the ferrari 458italia got recalled a few months back, just because of a few 'isolated' incident where the car has some kind of defect.
zeroshiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 12:34 AM   #33
barstoolman
Banned

Quote:
Exactly my point! If BMW has a problem with 3 cars out of the 15,000 they produce....it is no big deal! Products made by man are not perfect and there will be a few outliers. Does that make all BMW's defective? Should BMW go on a BMW forum and report that .0012% of their cars were defective? Wouldn't it be easy just to settle with those 3 customers and move on.

More to your point....I was in the auto business for over 25 years. I have always found that certain people will never be pleased with their product..regardless of what the facts state. They "find" things to dislike about the car and obsess with every detail and manufacturer response. Not all customers think that way...but there are many that will not be pleased regardless the outcome.

What I am illustrating in my post is the ridiculous amount of speculation about the case problems determined from a few pictures and "anonymous" posters. in the one example above, the poster was simply wearing a watch that was his friend's watch. He stated it was 3 months old and he had been wearing it for a week. Did he see the change take place while wearing the watch? The owner may work in a chemical lab and laid the watch down on a lab table. Why do you assume the case is defective? Do you just ignore the other 700 owners that do not have the problem? Assume the case does lighten up over time...is that a real problem? Does it affect the wearability? Does it not tell time as well? Don't other products change appearance over time...like a car's paint fading, glass chipping and tritium dials turning yellowish and losing its intended luminosity?

What I find the most interesting is that no one really cares that another 700 owners have reported zero problems with the watch and love it. These rumors are started from a few people and these same people have not reported Panerai's actions or findings.

As I stated in my first post..PAM 339 owners should pray that the case is defective! If that is the case...I would be a happy owner....just like the T dial owners, the non-matching #'s owners, etc!
Unfortunately, you missed my point entirely. The fact of the matter is that when owners of a product are lucky enough to not experience issues with that product even though there is or are known, widespread problems (often even acknowledged by the manufacturer), they will somehow take the attitude that the owners of the product that are experiencing the problem must be doing something wrong. Case in point, the 2007-2009 Shelby Gt500s........

Even after Ford had issued 4 TSBs for a clutch drag issue (an original TSB plus 3 revisions until they finally fixed the problem) owners of Shelbys that did not have the clutch drag issue would endlessly go on about how drivers did not know how to shift, did not know how to handle a high performance vehicle, did not know how to drive, etc,. etc.

You are behaving exactly the same way.........stop blaming the owners of the watches for an obvious factory defect in their watch. You can still love Panerai and acknowledge they made a design or manufacturing mistake. The real issue is if and how they take care of it.
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 03:36 AM   #34
jacksonian

I think 339 owners have a legitimate complaint. The Panerai marketing copy for the 339 composite material stated that it was "practically immutable over time." That's a bold statement. If you're going to use that feature specifically to sell the watch, then these defects are unacceptable. Just MHO.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 03:57 AM   #35
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I think 339 owners have a legitimate complaint. The Panerai marketing copy for the 339 composite material stated that it was "practically immutable over time." That's a bold statement. If you're going to use that feature specifically to sell the watch, then these defects are unacceptable. Just MHO.

Why then are T dial watches so popular....although they have zero left lume after 10 years...I think that is a major defect for a company that made its name for luminous watches...don't you?

Why are non-matching hands Panerai's so popular? An obvious defect...but they are in great demand.

My entire point to my post is that people are totally pissed off that do not own the watch, owners that have zero problems and some owners that may or may not have a defect. My question...why is everyone so pissed? These watches will most likely be more valuable in the future. If you do not like this "defect" than the resale market shows you will get your money back and more. Panerai is not immune to problems...but in the past has stepped up to the problem and corrected them. In the past...I have NEVER seen Panerai post their defects in public...they simply take care of the affected ones....just like any other company would do.

I personally think people are pissed for this reason......The future value of their PAM 339 might be what they once thought it would be. It may not double in value like they thought. But to sell your "defective" watch today at $17K is not cause for alarm IMO! So why again is everyone pissed without knowing the outcome of this issue? One word...FEAR brought on by all the worry on these forums.
Tommysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 04:34 AM   #36
jacksonian

I'm not arguing with you, Tommy. I don't think either side (you or the folks with the issue) should be so upset about it. I'm not. I simply said that IMHO that it's a legitimate complaint when the biggest selling point of the new composite material was how it resisted scratching/damage. That's all. Perhaps you're right and one day "non-matching composite 339's" will be all the rage.
Old 6 September 2011, 05:18 AM   #37
fstnlgl
"TRF" Member

Open Forum!! Discuss and raise issues re your watch. With respect to the Pam 339, Panerai remains resp to respond and deal with any actual issue. Panerai should issue release and cover it under warranty.
fstnlgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 05:27 AM   #38
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

With respect to the Pam 339, Panerai remains resp to respond and deal with any actual issue. Panerai should issue release and cover it under warranty.

Issue a release? Says who? Should they have issued a release on the other 7 rumors I mentioned...and the 7 rumors down the road?
Old 6 September 2011, 05:31 AM   #39
mfer
"TRF" Member

Understand many of Tom's points. I really think it could make the 339's more valuable in the future, but I might be a little worried about purchasing a composite case in the future. What I'm surprised I haven't heard yet is any owners of the "problem" watches bringing them into Panerai. Maybe because they are on holiday, but I think we should just sit back and wait until then.
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 06:00 AM   #40
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Understand many of Tom's points. I really think it could make the 339's more valuable in the future, but I might be a little worried about purchasing a composite case in the future. What I'm surprised I haven't heard yet is any owners of the "problem" watches bringing them into Panerai. Maybe because they are on holiday, I think we should just sit back and wait until then.
Thanks Mik..you hit on exactly my points...

"What I'm surprised I haven't heard yet is any owners of the "problem" watches bringing them into Panerai."

"I think we should just sit back and wait until then."
Old 6 September 2011, 06:04 AM   #41
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

As fan of this brand, I understand Tommy's points as well...

IMHO, Panerai will take of the issues and will stand by their product.

A few owners have voiced their concerns but too many non-owners are jumping on the bandwagon as well...

good discussions guys...
Old 6 September 2011, 12:26 PM   #42
rolexcd

Watch: Daytona SS Black D
Just a photo of mine

A photo which I took this morning. Obviously, the case back is not the same colour as the case and I have highlighted the area with more serious whitening effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAM339(1).jpg (149.8 KB, 340 views)
rolexcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 01:41 PM   #43
Chaos
"TRF" Member

I've given up on 339 - just got my deposit back.

Main reason: I don't want to be fooled - I was intending to buy a composite watch with superb characteristics - not aluminum coated with doubtfull quality. If I bought a gold watch that tuned out ot be other thing than gold, I'd have same reaction.

Panerai put serious marketing on 339 - so it's quite unaccepable problems like this, even for small amount so far -- lack of owners complaining may or not be the key, due to their own interestes were on the line. Is that really smart saying out loud my "watch is defective"?

Second thing about lack of complaints: "absence of proof is not proof of absence" .

It may happen in near future, since it seemed to be caused by exposure to sweat -- and sweat varies over time. And don't forget sweat is combined with other factors like temperature and humidity, at least.

Therefore, if some cases already happened, I'd be very preocupied because for sure it should not for a "composite" marketed as such.

Regarding to the pic's of infamous "instruction sheet", I really doubt it's real -- and it doesn't mean the guy didn't see it. It seems paradox, but for me it seems "double jeopardy" case --> divulguing a serious issue like that that turned out to be a fake "instruction sheet" would kill the attention to it.

I respect those that either bought the watch and even with those issue still want to buy one -- collectibility is about rarity, and 339 had from beginning many prized things ( MM dial, 8 giorni logo/mvmt ). There's a lot of money involved, lots of pro and cons.

I myself try hard not to think about future value of things I bought for pleasure, like watches -- it is the recipe of losing the pleasure of having them.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 10:32 PM   #44
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexcd View Post
A photo which I took this morning. Obviously, the case back is not the same colour as the case and I have highlighted the area with more serious whitening effect.
Two questions Anthony.

1. Is the crown discolored as well.
2. Are you planning on taking it to Panerai or waiting to see what more happens before the warranty is up?
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 02:14 AM   #45
rolexcd

I consider that the crown colour is not the same as Day 1!

As I stated, I sent an email to Panerai and they came back to me asking me to approach the dealer which I purchased mine. I will go to the dealer this Sat and see what they will say. If they ask me to leave them the watch so that they can send it to their local service centre so that they can "investigate" the issue, I will tell them that "you must be kidding" since it will be weeks after weeks before I will have my 339 back.

I took my 112 to their local service centre as it is running around 1-2 minutes faster per day. They told me that they will add some oil to it and service it but it will take them 3 weeks for such. My 112 is only 1.9 years old. Just imagine how long it will take them to work out the issue on my 339!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Two questions Anthony.

1. Is the crown discolored as well.
2. Are you planning on taking it to Panerai or waiting to see what more happens before the warranty is up?
Old 10 September 2011, 11:12 AM   #46
jacksonian

Anthony, I know you don't want to be without your 339 for an extended time. But how else do you expect the issue to be resolved? I don't see any other way.
Old 1 October 2011, 11:56 AM   #47
pitboy
"TRF" Member

Hi Ive got a 339 ... no dis-colouring yet BUT the paint/coating on the winder is peeling off. Started as a small mark but now is pretty bad. Have taken it in ... lets see if they sort this out. Second time Ive had a problem with a brand new PAM. Mmm
pitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2011, 11:18 PM   #48
rolexcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitboy View Post
Hi Ive got a 339 ... no dis-colouring yet BUT the paint/coating on the winder is peeling off. Started as a small mark but now is pretty bad. Have taken it in ... lets see if they sort this out. Second time Ive had a problem with a brand new PAM. Mmm
Hi, have you taken any photos on this issue? Would like to look at the effect?
Old 2 October 2011, 04:01 AM   #49
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, have you taken any photos on this issue? Would like to look at the effect?

Of course he does not have any pictures. Said he forgot to take pictures...but posts this nonsense?

Did you notice that was his first post?

Here we go again!
Old 2 October 2011, 06:38 AM   #50
pam4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course he does not have any pictures. Said he forgot to take pictures...but posts this nonsense?

Here we go again!
Sir...I think you have a problem. It's his first post. And as a new member, should we give him a warmer welcome instead of "attack/say to" him like that???
I think you r about to break "harassment" TRF rule right there. Isn't you got banned from P.com?, but still post strap for sale on their website everyday???

I think we should give new member a better welcome instead of this.
pam4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2011, 06:44 AM   #51
L-16610
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here we go again!
not the most kind way to welcome a new guy
btw you can find pics on paneristi
L-16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2011, 06:50 AM   #52
L-16610
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-16610 View Post
link
http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...e+the+PICTURES
L-16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2011, 05:45 PM   #53
rolexcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam4life View Post
Sir...I think you have a problem. It's his first post. And as a new member, should we give him a warmer welcome instead of "attack/say to" him like that???
I think you r about to break "harassment" TRF rule right there. Isn't you got banned from P.com?, but still post strap for sale on their website everyday???

I agree 100%. One should not keep harassing others if he doesn't even have a 339 himself. May be employed / engaged by the brand as ther PR personnel. If that was really the case, let us know!
Old 2 October 2011, 11:29 PM   #54
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam4life View Post

Another first time poster causing problems. Geez!
Old 3 October 2011, 12:27 AM   #55
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

Here we go again!
WOW!

what a mess this thread is!
criticizing a new member while half the post you guys have made are misquotes or improperly quoted? nearly impossible to follow.

Tommysol and rolexcd: your quotes have been coming out upside down and backwards.

seems simple:
*some case backs are discoloring, pictures have been presented.
*some owners do not care for a watch with case back discoloring.
*some owners do not care about collect-ability quirks on their watch, they just want to wear the watch they purchased with no surprise added character.

the only thing not simple, is why is the OP so intent on defending panerai's mistake?
Old 3 October 2011, 12:37 AM   #56
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
I consider that the current case is not the same as good quality products like BMW.

1) I was attracted to buy the PAM 339 mainly due to the special feature of the "composite" material regarding its durability which has been used as a marketing tool by the company. We are talking about a limited run of 1,500 (not 15,000) and even 20 pieces with this issue should not be considered as isolated event! In the case of BMW, technical issue will definitely followed by safety recall and I am sure that BMW will inform the customers proactively and arrange to fix the issue. Currently, I cannot feel the same on the PAM 339.
your perception of BMW is completely opposite from my experience, but that is for another forum.
Old 3 October 2011, 01:26 AM   #57
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancs88 View Post

Seems like there is some discoloration on the crown too!
I agree, were it rubs on the skin/wrist like the case back
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2011, 05:35 AM   #58
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-16610 View Post
New guy? Pam4Life just came over here to bust my ba..s. He is making it personal.

Bringing up stuff that has nothing to do with this forum as a FIRST post? A tad hypocritical huh?

Can we not see his motivation in his FIRST post?
Old 3 October 2011, 01:13 PM   #59
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
I was very eager to get my hands on the 375 but I do have to admit, that these "issues" (which may be true or otherwise) are causing to me to have doubts. I think the real question is, if the watch does have a problem, what will Panerai do about it even when the warranty period is over?
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2011, 11:24 PM   #60
karmatp
"TRF" Member

never mind......