The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2011, 04:29 PM   #1
mlotus95
Banned

Watch: GMT master II
are panerai's as good quality as rolex?

hello,
i am wondering if panerai (in particular the automatics) are as good of quality as rolex and as reliable? i have really been taken in by this brand lately and want to know more about them.
mlotus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Rolex have Rolex movements.
Panerai have allsorts.
Which Pam did you have in mind?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 12:29 AM   #3
mlotus95
Banned

the one i am after is the pam 104. thanks, todd
Old 19 November 2011, 12:48 AM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
In short, no but who cares if you like it?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 12:54 AM   #5
bicismith
"TRF" Member

Watch: 249 & SD
my 104 was quite accurate losing a few seconds a day, but it was older and looked every bit as well made as any rolex I've seen.

my current 380n keeps perfect time to the second and is also very well made.
bicismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

the 104 features the "OP III" movement, which is a modified ETA (Valjoux 7750). the Valjoux 7750 is a classic workhorse movement that's reliable and robust, so, no worries there. also, even though PAM has modified it, the Valjoux 7750 can be easily serviced by watchmakers, meaning, if you want, you can get it serviced for much less than an in-house.

read up on the Valjoux 7750 and its "wobble", though. it's a love-hate thing, IMO. i happen to like it....

Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 01:58 AM   #7
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
I believe so -but I'm partial to Panerai. I own 2 Rollies & IMO the accuracy on both brands is all good, but OP has more designs to choose from.
C'mon what you waiting for come over to the dark side..
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 02:04 AM   #8
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Apples & oranges
Old 19 November 2011, 02:05 AM   #9
nc42acc
"TRF" Member

Watch: out!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
the 104 features the "OP III" movement, which is a modified ETA (Valjoux 7750). the Valjoux 7750 is a classic workhorse movement that's reliable and robust, so, no worries there. also, even though PAM has modified it, the Valjoux 7750 can be easily serviced by watchmakers, meaning, if you want, you can get it serviced for much less than an in-house.

read up on the Valjoux 7750 and its "wobble", though. it's a love-hate thing, IMO. i happen to like it....

Yeah when I wear one of my Panerai and the 7750 wobble kicks in my left hand shakes so bad people think I am afflicted.
nc42acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 02:09 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
the quality is great, to not so great..... have read more than a few posts with problems with in-house movements...in fairness, they haven't been making movements for that long and like many swiss watchmakers, have had to start supplying their own movements wether they were ready or not, due to ETA cutting back sales outside of the swatch group.

the price is where the question comes in?
many of panerai watches call themselves limited editions with very sharp price increases, imho i wouldn't consider them a good value.

Old 19 November 2011, 02:12 AM   #11
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
Rolex is the standard. Panerai will always be a notch below, but they still hold their own with Rolex or any other watch brand for that matter. It's a classic in it's own right. I absolutely love mine!! Its an original and copies no one. Even Rolex came out with the larger Deep Sea just to compete with Panerai's size.
CoachRolexRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 02:17 AM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRolexRyan View Post
..... Even Rolex came out with the larger Deep Sea just to compete with Panerai's size.
big x2 for this.... no easy feat to make rolex adjust their roster, panerai gets kudos here.
Old 19 November 2011, 02:46 AM   #13
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Panerai and Rolex are my two most worn brands and overall I would consider their quality to be about equal. Sure Panerai has some base models with refined ETA/Unitas movements but they also have higher end models with JLC based 8 day movments as well as their own in house ones. Ther new p9000 in house movements dont have the long track record of the 3135 but they have shown good reliablity so far and mine have been more accurate than my 3135/3136 Rolex watches. Overall I would consider their construction, refinement, and durability to be about equal and wouldnt hesitate buying a Panerai or Rolex.

The added bonus of Panerai is the HUGE aftermarket following. Collecting straps is an addiction all in its own. The ability to completely change the look of the watch by going from bracelet, to leather to croc to rubber in less than a minute or two really makes my Pam 328 one of my favorite watches.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 03:25 AM   #14
mlotus95
Banned

i am leaning towards the 104. but for some reason i just have a bad feeling about it. i will just keep asking more questions and doing more reseasrch.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:46 AM   #15
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with the 104!

Erase your bad feeling :)

The 104 is a great watch. It is an automatic contemporary design, as opposed to the two I have, which are hand-wind historics.

I prefer the historics, but if I were to venture over to the contemporary side, the 104 would be right there. I've always liked the 104 dial layout.

greg in denver
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 04:05 AM   #16
nc42acc
"TRF" Member

Watch: out!!!!!
The 104 is an excellent choice for a first Panerai. It was my first and regret selling it. Look for a newer series with the quick change strap system. Buying and changing straps is where the adventure begins.

Yes i think Panerai is equal in quality to Rolex and as reliable.
nc42acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 04:33 AM   #17
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
No,from personal experience with several models from both brands .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 05:25 AM   #18
mlotus95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
No,from personal experience with several models from both brands .
i would be interested in hearing some specific reasons from your expirience. especially since you've owned both brands.
Old 19 November 2011, 05:36 AM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

i have a radiomir 210... its awesome lots of unique to panerai features that make it a nice compliment to modern rolex... matte finish sandwich dial, very unique case, innovative and 1 of kind strap system.

although it is a wind up.... i couldn't be more satisfied with it, with the exception of finding a suitable rubber strap, so i can get it wet.

ps im not a fan of the automatics as they are too bulky for my liking.
Old 19 November 2011, 05:41 AM   #20
Fiddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP PAM ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
in short, no but who cares if you like it?
+1
Old 19 November 2011, 05:42 AM   #21
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

The Wobble is Cool
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 05:45 AM   #22
bicismith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
i have a radiomir 210... its awesome lots of unique to panerai features that make it a nice compliment to modern rolex... matte finish sandwich dial, very unique case, innovative and 1 of kind strap system.

although it is a wind up.... i couldn't be more satisfied with it, with the exception of finding a suitable rubber strap, so i can get it wet.

ps im not a fan of the automatics as they are too bulky for my liking.
totally agree. I sold my 104 because I found it uncomfortable to wear. it's very top heavy and the deployant tended to dig into my wrist even though I prefer to wear watches loose. tightening did not change this.

the radiomir is far more comfortable and lighter, and I don't know if the historic luminors are similar.

the manual wind is simple and easy to use. the reserve is nearly 60 hours so it's really not an issue. I just wind it every other day when I put it on.
Old 19 November 2011, 01:54 PM   #23
Chaos
"TRF" Member

I have the 104 and love it. I have several Rolexes, including sub's ( both vintages and moderns), GMT's, Yatchmaster, DeepSea.

I honestly think Rolex quality is far superior compared to Panerai. If you had a watch nearly 50 years old and still beating like a champ you'd understand.

Panerai wins on design side.

Although I've paid more on my 104 than it would cost a ceramic sub at that time, the value hold by such sub is far better than the 104 nowadays. It means to me that perception to big public is that Rolex has higher inner value, it's well known and stands for high watch level - instantly recognizable as luxury watch to most of people.

Panerai is still on smaller circle and for most people, it's chunky watch. Nevertheless, these smaller circle is quite fanatic about them.

What is interesting is IMHO there is no room for big quantities when it comes to Panerai world -- most of panerai fans think 3,000/year of 104 was too much production ( I guess the maximum production was 6,500 in one year) . Imagine if 104 was procuced in quantities close to Submariners -- I guess its price would be quite low on secondary market.

If you were not interested on resell value, then you'd enjoy it!

I'd buy the 104 again if time would rewind back, JFYI.

best luck
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 02:18 PM   #24
joleel7
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, PAM, BALL
Rolex watches are solid! Pam is something different strap chaning can be fun.
joleel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 02:19 PM   #25
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
there is more "fun" factor with Panerai watches (meaning you get more involved with the watch itself), you can easily change straps to match different occassions. with Rolex watches options are limited.

both Rolex and Panerai are good.
Radiomir - PAM 410
leeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 04:07 PM   #26
gigantor

Watch: 116520,Pam233
IMHO, panerai is as equally good as rolex but as leeya had mention, panerai has the fun factor of changing strap and panerai is very casual looking which is good for daily wear.
For panerai, I prefer the non cyclop. PAM312 or 351 will be a good choice
gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 08:57 PM   #27
HarryGoodman

Watch: Pre V
I have a Panerai 9B as a daily beater and it keeps extremly accurate time (I estimate it loses 1 or 2 seconds a day) considering it was made in 1999.
HarryGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 09:03 PM   #28
HarryGoodman

Watch: Pre V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlotus95 View Post
the one i am after is the pam 104. thanks, todd
Todd, if you are really after a 104, go to P.com and look for a well kept, lightly used one for a good 20% to 25% discount off the price of a new one and I beleive you will be extremely happy in the long run.
HarryGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2011, 10:20 PM   #29
bicismith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
I have the 104 and love it. I have several Rolexes, including sub's ( both vintages and moderns), GMT's, Yatchmaster, DeepSea.

I honestly think Rolex quality is far superior compared to Panerai. If you had a watch nearly 50 years old and still beating like a champ you'd understand.

Panerai wins on design side.

Although I've paid more on my 104 than it would cost a ceramic sub at that time, the value hold by such sub is far better than the 104 nowadays. It means to me that perception to big public is that Rolex has higher inner value, it's well known and stands for high watch level - instantly recognizable as luxury watch to most of people.

Panerai is still on smaller circle and for most people, it's chunky watch. Nevertheless, these smaller circle is quite fanatic about them.

What is interesting is IMHO there is no room for big quantities when it comes to Panerai world -- most of panerai fans think 3,000/year of 104 was too much production ( I guess the maximum production was 6,500 in one year) . Imagine if 104 was procuced in quantities close to Submariners -- I guess its price would be quite low on secondary market.

If you were not interested on resell value, then you'd enjoy it!

I'd buy the 104 again if time would rewind back, JFYI.

best luck
fwiw, the 104 is far less desirable than the base manual wind models. they hold their value much better.
Old 19 November 2011, 10:31 PM   #30
Rolex Junky
Banned

Watch: 116710LN & 116201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicismith View Post
fwiw, the 104 is far less desirable than the base manual wind models. they hold their value much better.
Indeed they do.
Rolex Junky is offline   Reply With Quote