The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 April 2010, 12:23 PM   #1
hng
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sports Rolex
California...Here we come...

First visit to US mid June and it will be San Fransisco. Plan to be there for about 2 weeks with family (wife and 2 teen boys). We're planning to Vegas, LA, and San Diego as well. What's the best route (returning home from SF of course ) and if there are any other places of interest/cities we have to visit? Rent a car or just public transport? How many days we spend in each city? Budget accommodation, any recommendation? Sorry for asking too much . Thanks a bunch
Old 10 April 2010, 12:33 PM   #2
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hng View Post
First visit to US mid June and it will be San Fransisco. Plan to be there for about 2 weeks with family (wife and 2 teen boys). We're planning to Vegas, LA, and San Diego as well. What's the best route (returning home from SF of course ) and if there are any other places of interest/cities we have to visit? Rent a car or just public transport? How many days we spend in each city? Budget accommodation, any recommendation? Sorry for asking too much . Thanks a bunch
Where are you coming from would be the first question to help you know where you are going...
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Pacific Coast Highway is a very scenic drive and runs from San Diego north to San Francisco/Carmel. I believe this would be your best bet traveling from San Diego to L.A. and farther north. I have driven this highway many times and always marveled at the beauty of the surroundings. My recommendation is you go to the San Diego Zoo if at all possible and there are several noteworthy museums in S.D. as well. Have a wonderful time.
Old 10 April 2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Jet
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD/Sub/GMT/Daytona
As stated by Faith in the above post! Great route! I'm from San Diego & the scenery from LA to SD on the 101 is just awesome. I recommend you visit Legoland. Carlsbad (where Legoland is located) is a just superb (the famous Carlsbad flower fields is just next to Legoland & the Carlsbad Company Outlet Stores are nearby as well). We also have a few beach communities that you would pass by on the way from LA to SD (Dana Point, San Clemente, Oceanside, Carlsbad, La Costa, Encinitas, Solana Beach, DelMar).
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
That's a pretty quick stop at each place if you plan all that in only 2 weeks..

In San Fran, you have Pier 39 for some great sourdough bread, clam chowder and the usual touristy stuff... Ghirardelli Chocolate factory and the mall there, the Presidio... North to NAPA Valley for great wine and winery visits, or over the hill to Sonoma Wineries...

Vegas is 500 miles away - food, entertainment and dining.. Lake Mead and Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon and Death Valley up the street........

San Diego is 600 miles away.... Sea World, World Famous San Diego Zoo, La Jolla Beaches, The Midway Aircraft Carrier..

LA is North of San Diego... Disney Land, Hollywood, the Queen Mary, All the Surf Beaches.....you could take a 4 day Cruise out of San Pedro to Santa Catalina Island..

..........And that's just scratching the surface....

You need to make some choices......... only two weeks...
Old 10 April 2010, 01:08 PM   #6
HYDROMAROC
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hng View Post
I would fly from SF to LV. Then drive from LV to SD to LA then fly back to SF. You only have 2 weeks. To drive that loop would eat up a lot of time. Plus, driving gets old after 6 hours...
HYDROMAROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2010, 02:07 PM   #7
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Congrats. I grew up near the City and it's my favorite of all I've been to in the world. You won't find a more beautiful place to visit.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2010, 05:21 PM   #8
marie
"TRF" Member

Watch: UN Starry Night
PCH hwy is beautiful as others have mentioned. Though I prefer it going north just because of the drop on the south bound side.

The 17 mile drive is beautiful in Carmel for certain. The Lone Cypress Tree is iconic and the ocean currents colliding at Point Joe is pretty spectacular. Seal Rock is along that route, and if you enjoy golf, Pebble Beach is right there. When I went there years ago the Sea Otters were abundant in that area and it was fun to watch them floating on their backs and breaking open sea urchins (?) on their tummies.
http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cam...mile_drive.htm

In the greater Los Angeles area there are the obvious things to do, Disney, Hollywood... that sort of thing. If you are an architecture buff, and appreciate Frank Lloyd Wright and want a just short diversion, Wayfarers Chapel in Palos Verdes is beautiful to see but won't chew up a lot of your time..http://www.wayfarerschapel.org/ The views of Catalina Island from there are amazing. If you are into military history, Ft. MacArthur is there. If you do go to that area early in the day go to Joseph's Bakery for some yummy baked goods. They used to have incredible slightly sweet croissants. http://www.yelp.com/biz/josephs-bakery-san-pedro

If you are in San Diego... Extraordinary Desserts is my most favorite place for dessert!!! http://www.extraordinarydesserts.com/
The Wild Animal Park is a must see if you get the chance. Sea World is down there as well. Sea Port Village has fun touristy shops, and I love Downtown San Diego-great city to walk through for interesting restaurants. Coronado is beautiful to visit. Also plenty of military history in the San Diego area as well.

I had never tried fish tacos, and I didn't think I would like them until I went to Rubios. http://www.rubios.com/ They are a chain, but it is just one of those things to try if you have the opportunity.

I am sure the good people on TRF that live in CA now can come up with many other ideas. These are just some of the off the beaten path type suggestions that came to mind for me. I lived in CA from 1989 to 1994 and tried to see as much of it as I could while I was there. I didn't appreciate all I was able to see at the time as much as I do now looking back on it.

Enjoy, and please post a few pictures when you return!
Old 10 April 2010, 05:27 PM   #9
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Death Valley National Park is awesome. Actually closer to Vegas though than any major CA city.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 09:47 PM   #10
hng
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sports Rolex
Thanks guys...those are very useful tips! Cheers!
Old 12 April 2010, 12:56 AM   #11
SLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 116520
When you are in Las Vegas, as mention Death Valley is a half day's drive to the north and also the Grand Canyon is a half day's drive to the south. There are bus tours available of various lengths if you don't want to drive. Air tours by plane or helicopter of the area are an option, the night flight around Las Vegas is popular as are the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon flights.
SLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 01:10 AM   #12
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
Don't forget Yosemite, truly special/unique - its roughly 2/3 of the way up from LA to San Fran. Yosemite vs Death Valley are two different 'styles' of national parks. Both unique. Include at least one - it'll be a good balance vs the urbanism of LV, LA and San Fran.

Note that you'll have to book early to get decent priced accommodations close to Yosemite.
Planet Ocean 215.30.40.20.03.002; Zenith Chronomaster Original 03.3200.3600/22.M3200.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 05:54 AM   #13
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
One of my best memories of living in California is going to restaurants where you can be seated outside overlooking the ocean. Nothing beats watching the dolphins jump in and out of the water against the peaceful and calming backdrop of the Pacific Ocean while enjoying a good meal. For this experience, check out Del Mar.
Old 12 April 2010, 11:27 AM   #14
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I agree with what others have said...when I want a scenic route I take the old route 1 from LA to SF. The 101 is also nice, and it passes through Paso Robles (which I love), Santa Barbara, etc. The 5 freeway is, shall we say, utilitarian...it gets the job done more quickly but there is much less to see.

As for the sights, it depends what you'd like to see...more "famous" destinations, historical attractions (e.g. the line of old Spanish missions runs up the state, with the oldest in San Diego and "newest" in the San Francisco area), culinary (including various wine country-areas, e.g. Napa, Paso Robles, Santa Barbara, etc.), tourist attractions (Disneyland, San Diego Wild Animal Park, etc.) etc.

I grew up in San Diego but moved to LA more than 20 years ago to attend UCLA, and stayed. Just a few days ago the other day I visited the Griffith Park observatory in L.A., somewhere I literally haven't been since 1987. It was "touristy" but great! PM me!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Bring a couple of sweatshirts....the city of San Francisco can be on the cool side in June.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 09:31 AM   #16
Fofo

Watch: Explorer II
First of all, it's a great area, you'll love it.

2 weeks? For a driving tour of San Francisco, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles and points in between is not too much time.

I suggest too flying from San Francisco to Las Vegas, you can get really cheap flights and you can get a good feel of the city in two full days and two nights, then drive from Las Vegas to San Diego, spending there two nights, onward to Los Angeles, two nights, and the rest of the time in the Bay Area (you can stop in Carmel on the way to San Francisco, it's beautiful).

If Yosemite sounds interesting but there's not much time (and it doesn't sound like there's a lot of time), you can go to the Muir Woods National Monument:
http://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

It's just north of the Golden Gate and you can see some old growth redwoods. And from there you can take a quick tour to the wine country, Napa and Sonoma, so it can be a good day trip (Golden Gate + Muir Woods + wine country)

In San Francisco, there are plenty of things to see and do: dim sum in Chinatown, coffee and dessert in Little Italy, climbing Coit Tower for great views of the city. Fisherman's Wharf for clam chowder at Boudin's and dungeness crab at one of the restaurants. The Castro for getting a good feel for what San Francisco is about (a great vibe, a great feeling of community). Haight/Ashbury for the hippie vibe. The cable cars and Lombard street for what you see in all the movies. Union Square (great shopping! And the Rolex Service Center, Shreve and Tourneau are there). The Golden Gate Park. Cliff House for an afternoon tea overlooking the ocean. Alcatraz.

As far as museums: The California Academy of Sciences, the De Young, the Legion of Honor and the Museum of Modern Art are great, but to see them properly would take too long, so for the most visual impact, maybe the California Academy of Sciences.

Enjoy!!!
Fofo is offline   Reply With Quote