The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 27 May 2016, 03:39 AM   #151
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
You're not doing any favors to Bob's by bumping this thread to the top again, but I think it's cool....
I can see this thread going on for years
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 05:49 AM   #152
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy91 View Post
LOL... very few threads make 6 pages this quick, especially in the WATCHOUT section... but I can see this thread dying down then getting bumped every few months for as long as they are around
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 07:18 AM   #153
Marshall9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18238 116000 16710
I have bought six from them. I will admit that pricing to buy is around 10% higher than on here. However, I know who they are and where they are. I also, know that I will receive the watch overnight, and it will be in as or better condition than advertised. Selling is an entirely different story. The difference between wholesale and retail is time. Always has been. If you need to sell something and right now, it will produce a lower amount than advertising it and waiting for the buyer that wants it to keep, not flip it. I am very frightful of ebay sellers as well as people that I don't know and especially those without a brick and mortar store. At least with a store, I could , as a worst case scenario, go there and get in front of someone. I am currently in the market to do some Rolex trading, or possibly selling. I won't even give Bob's Watches an attempt at this business. After reading here and being a forum member here for a six years, I am going to reach out to Jacek and see what happens. He seems to get great reviews and be fair in buying and selling prices.
Marshall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 05:35 AM   #154
jzack10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRolex View Post
Greetings All

Sorry I am just seeing this now.

* Some of the allegations made against our company herein are wrongful, misleading and constitute an injurious falsehood for which we have the right to pursue a legal remedy at law.

Will never do business with you.
jzack10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 04:37 AM   #155
sparkyoliver
"TRF" Member

I'll add my recent experience with Bob's, and I have a question.

I requested a quote online for my near perfect 16030 with unknown service history (still runs well, though), and an eager young lady called with an offer of "up to $1800” and a shipping label. I asked if that was the amount I would receive if everything I said and the picture I sent were verified. She said it would depend on what they found. I completely understood that, but I knew they would want to service it (don’t they service all the watches they sell?). I asked if that was included in the offer. No surprise, it wasn't. So $1800 is for a perfect, fully serviced 16030 (meaning $1300-1400 for mine?). I wonder how many of those they receive. They have the right to offer whatever they want, but it seems wrong to offer an amount they know the seller won't receive. Of course, they’ll say they might not recommend servicing. Yeah right!

That brings me to my question. Is there any wholesale buyer that quotes an offer that the seller will actually receive (if they don’t try to deceive the buyer, of course), or is this standard practice? Honestly, I would rather them offer $1350 initially, but I guess that doesn’t get the watch in their hands. That’s the issue I see here, not the low initial offers.
sparkyoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2016, 06:49 PM   #156
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

You hit the nail on the head... gotta have it in hand first... makes it much more likely that you'll take the lower bid out of fear of not getting anything at all or the hassle of having to ship it around to multiple dealers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyoliver View Post

I requested a quote online for my near perfect 16030 with unknown service history (still runs well, though), and an eager young lady called with an offer of "up to $1800” and a shipping label. I asked if that was the amount I would receive if everything I said and the picture I sent were verified. She said it would depend on what they found. I completely understood that, but I knew they would want to service it (don’t they service all the watches they sell?). I asked if that was included in the offer. No surprise, it wasn't. So $1800 is for a perfect, fully serviced 16030 (meaning $1300-1400 for mine?). I wonder how many of those they receive. They have the right to offer whatever they want, but it seems wrong to offer an amount they know the seller won't receive. Of course, they’ll say they might not recommend servicing. Yeah right!

That brings me to my question. Is there any wholesale buyer that quotes an offer that the seller will actually receive (if they don’t try to deceive the buyer, of course), or is this standard practice? Honestly, I would rather them offer $1350 initially, but I guess that doesn’t get the watch in their hands. That’s the issue I see here, not the low initial offers.
Old 15 June 2016, 10:41 AM   #157
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyoliver View Post

Crown and Calibre gave me the exact amount they quoted me after reviewing pics and discussing service history (which I knew). I mailed it in to them, they received it and said it was as-described, and sent me a check for full amount. Painless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 11:33 AM   #158
watchgroupcorp
Banned

Watch: Rolex 1665 DRSD
We have interacted with Paul Altieri on a number of occasions and can tell you that he is a great guy who has always kept his word in dealings with us. In my opinion, he is very trustworthy and is very enjoyable to be around.
watchgroupcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 06:29 PM   #159
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

I don't know why everyone can't agree that not stating up front there is a cost that sellers will incur for x, y, and z is misleading? Barring the sale of stickered watches, everyone is going to take a hit that is not clear to potential sellers. When I sell a 10 year old watch, they buyer offers me a price for a 10 year old watch. If there are issues that are not consistent with the watch's age and described condition, that's another story.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 06:32 PM   #160
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

I also happen to think Paul/Bob is a decent guy and a genuine watch enthusiast. Regarding my actual experience with the company, it is limited, however, they were horrendous at answering my direct questions via email. It got comical when I was asking basic things about a watch- when was the warranty card stamped and what series the serial number was. On two separate occasions, there was a string of emails because I could not get an answer for clearly stated questions. I went so far as to bullet the questions as in 1) When was warranty card stamped? 2) Can I get a partial serial number. On both occasions, the answers never came because I was informed the watch is no longer available. On another occasion, an initial response was followed by yet another non-answer and the subsequent email went unreturned. I gave up on emailing them.

Called them once and the guy was very nice and helpful. Originally I was going to trade in my 116613 and they said up to 8700 and when I spoke to them, they wanted to know if my watch was still stickered after I told them I bought it new a year ago and wore it lightly. Still, good phone skills.

Went on the website the other day, a 116613 is now up to 7800.

I think OP's complaints about lack of return calls, saying the watch would be shipped when it wasn't sucks. I experienced the same frustration when I seriously considered buying two watches and never got an answer to very simple, oft-repeated questions.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 11:15 PM   #161
watchgroupcorp
Banned

Watch: Rolex 1665 DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
I also happen to think Paul/Bob is a decent guy and a genuine watch enthusiast. Regarding my actual experience with the company, it is limited, however, they were horrendous at answering my direct questions via email. It got comical when I was asking basic things about a watch- when was the warranty card stamped and what series the serial number was. On two separate occasions, there was a string of emails because I could not get an answer for clearly stated questions. I went so far as to bullet the questions as in 1) When was warranty card stamped? 2) Can I get a partial serial number. On both occasions, the answers never came because I was informed the watch is no longer available. On another occasion, an initial response was followed by yet another non-answer and the subsequent email went unreturned. I gave up on emailing them.

Called them once and the guy was very nice and helpful. Originally I was going to trade in my 116613 and they said up to 8700 and when I spoke to them, they wanted to know if my watch was still stickered after I told them I bought it new a year ago and wore it lightly. Still, good phone skills.

Went on the website the other day, a 116613 is now up to 7800.

I think OP's complaints about lack of return calls, saying the watch would be shipped when it wasn't sucks. I experienced the same frustration when I seriously considered buying two watches and never got an answer to very simple, oft-repeated questions.
Paul is definitely a great guy. We have met Carol (his wife) and Joel (their COO). They have an area in which there are several customer service reps with nice cubicles. They do a lot of business. I think Forbes reported something like $14 million in revenue in 2014. Probably something like $20 million in revenue this year I'm guessing. They are busy in that office. The phone reps are on the phone all day and are also answering emails. We saw that they get excited when deliveries are made... quite a large number of watches get shipped to them every day for them to review on video to ensure accurate documentation of what was received. Because they sell so much and are so busy, it is probably easy to forget that they are super busy and an individual client may not get the attention he or she wants because of the business factor. I would be willing to guess that the reason for not getting an answer to questions is probably because that watch was sold and a customer service rep thought he/she was too busy to answer those emails. I'm sure they would like to hear your comments and would look at it as a training opportunity to ensure that all of those emails get answered. It really is quite a first class operation. I can't say a single bad thing about Paul or Bob's watches. #thumbsup
watchgroupcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 11:31 PM   #162
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchgroupcorp View Post
Paul is definitely a great guy. We have met Carol (his wife) and Joel (their COO). They have an area in which there are several customer service reps with nice cubicles. They do a lot of business. I think Forbes reported something like $14 million in revenue in 2014. Probably something like $20 million in revenue this year I'm guessing. They are busy in that office. The phone reps are on the phone all day and are also answering emails. We saw that they get excited when deliveries are made... quite a large number of watches get shipped to them every day for them to review on video to ensure accurate documentation of what was received. Because they sell so much and are so busy, it is probably easy to forget that they are super busy and an individual client may not get the attention he or she wants because of the business factor. I would be willing to guess that the reason for not getting an answer to questions is probably because that watch was sold and a customer service rep thought he/she was too busy to answer those emails. I'm sure they would like to hear your comments and would look at it as a training opportunity to ensure that all of those emails get answered. It really is quite a first class operation. I can't say a single bad thing about Paul or Bob's watches. #thumbsup

I'm sure you can't. Tell everyone at the shop "Hi"
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2016, 02:43 AM   #163
Capt. Alex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 1680
I find it interesting.. We all know that they are in the business of purchasing and reselling watches, yet find fault at them trying to maximize their profits. If the deal doesn't work for you, so be it, no one is telling you that you must accept, there are plenty of other avenues to sell a Rolex which qualified buyers are plentiful, such as this forum.

I purchased my first Rolex from them. I found their prices to be inline with the market for the Sub I ended up purchasing. The transaction was seamless, really it went smoothly. I made one phone call and spoke to a salesman to ensure that the watch I wanted was in stock, and was assured it was. I proceeded to send funds and 2 days later the watch was delivered to my house, the delay was due to Fedex not Bobs, the watch was shipped the same afternoon I purchased. I was satisfied.

When I received the watch it was packaged well, and was in amazing condition. It was perfect in every way, not a single mark on it, looked like a safe queen.

I proceeded to remove the bracelet to verify the serial number and discovered what I expected to be an R series was actually a P series, a 14 year newer difference, same 16610 reference. I called Bob's to make them aware of the observation, as some people may find issue with this occurring to them. To me it was not a big deal, I wanted the older watch, but the year of production was a good year in my life, so I just chalked it up to fate. Value wise there wasn't any appreciable difference, since a P and an R when hand written sloppily can look fairly similar, I assumed a clerical error, no fraud or misrepresentation. The 2001 model would may retail for more then a 1987 anyway, if only by a few hundred dollars.

Since I plan to retain this watch for many years to come I an not concerned with the sales end of their operation. I will say that I would purchase from them again if I am in the market for an item that they have in stock.

Not affiliated with them in any way beyond being a customer. I am adding that due to my low post count and new member status, I know how skeptical people can be. I am on the East coast as well. I just felt that sharing my experience may be beneficial for someone who may be considering a purchase from them.
Capt. Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2016, 06:39 PM   #164
southtexas

Quote:
I'm sure you can't. Tell everyone at the shop "Hi"

Why? What are you suggesting; because this guy has a positive review?

Old 29 June 2016, 07:51 PM   #165
Cru Jones

quite the entertaining thread!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2016, 10:00 PM   #166
Ampz
"TRF" Member

Me personally, unless I find out the person is trying to scam me, if I slightly overbid on something out of my own misjudgment , I'll honor my bid.

Regulation and light polish IMO should have highly been expected in that bid. Sure, they may have a slight argument that it's missing a link (how much can it possibly be?).

It's a pretty standard question to ask if the bracelet has full links. I wonder why they didn't ask? I never purchased a watch without asking that question. So in my humble opinion the polish and regulation should have never been brought up. If they are going to knit-pick you to death over a link so be it. I think they should be more professional than that and honor their bid.

To call and try to finagle $450 out of you now is completely out of line. Again, in my humble opinion.
Ampz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2016, 10:17 PM   #167
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Why? What are you suggesting; because this guy has a positive review?

I never really thought about that, good point. Thanks for bringing that up.
Old 30 June 2016, 06:12 AM   #168
southtexas

Quote:
I never really thought about that, good point. Thanks for bringing that up.

I read your post as an insinuation that, since he had a nice experience there, he's somehow in cahoots with Bob's. If I misunderstood, my apologies.

Old 30 June 2016, 06:12 AM   #169
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Alex View Post
I find it interesting.. We all know that they are in the business of purchasing and reselling watches, yet find fault at them trying to maximize their profits. If the deal doesn't work for you, so be it, no one is telling you that you must accept, there are plenty of other avenues to sell a Rolex which qualified buyers are plentiful, such as this forum.

I purchased my first Rolex from them. I found their prices to be inline with the market for the Sub I ended up purchasing. The transaction was seamless, really it went smoothly. I made one phone call and spoke to a salesman to ensure that the watch I wanted was in stock, and was assured it was. I proceeded to send funds and 2 days later the watch was delivered to my house, the delay was due to Fedex not Bobs, the watch was shipped the same afternoon I purchased. I was satisfied.

When I received the watch it was packaged well, and was in amazing condition. It was perfect in every way, not a single mark on it, looked like a safe queen.

I proceeded to remove the bracelet to verify the serial number and discovered what I expected to be an R series was actually a P series, a 14 year newer difference, same 16610 reference. I called Bob's to make them aware of the observation, as some people may find issue with this occurring to them. To me it was not a big deal, I wanted the older watch, but the year of production was a good year in my life, so I just chalked it up to fate. Value wise there wasn't any appreciable difference, since a P and an R when hand written sloppily can look fairly similar, I assumed a clerical error, no fraud or misrepresentation. The 2001 model would may retail for more then a 1987 anyway, if only by a few hundred dollars.

Since I plan to retain this watch for many years to come I an not concerned with the sales end of their operation. I will say that I would purchase from them again if I am in the market for an item that they have in stock.

Not affiliated with them in any way beyond being a customer. I am adding that due to my low post count and new member status, I know how skeptical people can be. I am on the East coast as well. I just felt that sharing my experience may be beneficial for someone who may be considering a purchase from them.
There's a big difference between P and R besides year of production. The P serial Sub came with SEL (solid endlinks). While the P and R are both reference 16610 a watch dealer should have caught this upon inspection.
Old 30 June 2016, 06:14 AM   #170
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
I read your post as an insinuation that, since he had a nice experience there, he's somehow in cahoots with Bob's. If I misunderstood, my apologies.

Old 1 July 2016, 07:12 AM   #171
Capt. Alex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
There's a big difference between P and R besides year of production. The P serial Sub came with SEL (solid endlinks). While the P and R are both reference 16610 a watch dealer should have caught this upon inspection.
You are 100% correct! I just reviewed the images from the sale, and indeed Bobs displayed the images of the actual watch, as there are a few polishing marks that I notice now that make it unique. I failed to notice the SELs and the R serial discrepancy, but it is there...Still not a deal breaker for me, nor turns me off from future sales.

Im fairly certain that whomever posts their listings, and may not necessarily be a watch enthusiast, must be the cause of the oversight... I suppose if it mattered thats what the 3 day return policy is for...
Capt. Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 08:57 AM   #172
Metal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy91 View Post
Yep, me too especially since they have my Datejust that I declined their offer on and they're holding it until I provide THEM with a return mailing label.
Mind you this watch was as described in my email and pictures but the $800 deduction from their email quote for a light polish, timing and (maybe) a crystal was more than I was willing to accept.
I asked them if the brand new never worn bracelet was worth something since they were also deducting for a missing box and paperwork (this is a 24 year old 16234) and they said no the brand new (literally never worn) bracelet and end links added no value.
So I'm on email hold right now while I ask them if they "seriously?" have no means of returning watches when customers don't accept their offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171011_045737.jpg (185.0 KB, 604 views)
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 12:13 PM   #173
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post
Yep, me too especially since they have my Datejust that I declined their offer on and they're holding it until I provide THEM with a return mailing label.
Mind you this watch was as described in my email and pictures but the $800 deduction from their email quote for a light polish, timing and (maybe) a crystal was more than I was willing to accept.
I asked them if the brand new never worn bracelet was worth something since they were also deducting for a missing box and paperwork (this is a 24 year old 16234) and they said no the brand new (literally never worn) bracelet and end links added no value.
So I'm on email hold right now while I ask them if they "seriously?" have no means of returning watches when customers don't accept their offer.
I think we have all been there with these types of company's. I don't deal with them anymore. They do take it to the extreme trying to make 30% plus on a used piece is absurd, 10% is what I feel grey market sellers should be making.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 05:52 PM   #174
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

I see Bob learned his lesson. Now he won't pay for return shipping.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 06:05 PM   #175
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
It's a slippery slope...
Old 15 October 2017, 06:14 AM   #176
Metal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
I offered to pay, I did not once even imply they should just overnight my watch back at their expense.
They have had my FedEx account number since yesterday morning. I never once asked for free shipping, but things are now getting a bit ridiculous.
I Initially told them to return my watch and offered to give them a credit card over the phone and also provided my FedEx account via email.
They had sent me a FedEx label to get my watch there so I ASSUmed FedEx was their preferred method of shipping and they could use my account for the return. (simple enough right?)
Her hangup right now is they want me to log into UPS as a guest and generate my own UPS label to me.
The way I see things now is they're just making me jump through another hoop (UPS) to get my watch back and purposely make things more difficult.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 06:41 AM   #177
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
crappy situation.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:57 PM   #178
TheSecretInTheirEyes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post
Just curious, but what was their initial quote on your 16234?

I hope everything works out for you bud. I feel your pain.
TheSecretInTheirEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 01:21 PM   #179
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
He seems to have an acct. here on TRF. Member name Paul at Bobs Watches, location states Huntington Beach....

They have been listed in HB for years. I believe they are online only as
I have never found a storefront location for them but then again I never searched too hard...
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 03:03 PM   #180
shabaang
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Starting off with threat of legal action usually ends up creating a very positive impression on a hard core watch forum full of potential customers. Cant wait to do business! Talk to you soon!
Quote:
You would have been well advised to let this thread die. Your response and the threat of legal action, is a complete joke. Any consideration of me doing business with you, has gone out the door. I'm sure, that I'm not alone in this....

+1, crazy thread..

and now more issues with the same company, surprise surprise.
shabaang is offline   Reply With Quote