The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 October 2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Sasja
"TRF" Member

Looking to buy a vintage Day Date - Tips?

Hi guys!

First of all, thank you for a great forum! I have been reading along for some time, but this is my first post.

I am looking to buy a vintage Rolex Day Date. When i look online, mostly chrono24, i see a lot of them, ranging from €4000 to €20.000.

But my question is, what to look for? Is there anything i should avoid? Any models/movements that are better than others? Im just looking for any tips for this great watch.

Thank you so much!
Sasja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 11:32 PM   #2
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
Good question, I’m looking for day date of 1962 including papers and box.
robbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 11:41 PM   #3
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Hi welcome to the forums. The price range you have listed in your post covers a wide range of day dates, stemming probably form the 60's to the year 2000. The watch is essentially the same but has made some significant upgrades over the years which may or may not be important to you. I will let you know what my thinking was when I purchased my 1990 model 18238 but I suggest you continue to search this forum and use google to learn more on the evolution of this watch. And it goes without saying that any Day Date is a classic iconic watch.

After doing my research I knew I wanted a 36mm day date in yellow gold. I wanted it to have a double quick set (date and day change mechanism) and a sapphire crystal. This meant I was looking at a 18238 (production started late 89 or 1990) or a 118238 which is the current version, which came out in 2000. This model had a few upgrades during that decade including solid center links, an improved clasp, polished lugs, etc. Again, google is your friend on this.

So given my own budget I was set to purchase either a mint 18238 or a good condition 118238. I was very fortunate to come across a mint 18238 that had sat in a safe. It had a fresh Rolex service and was pristine. It also had an amazing tapestry dial which gives it a depth and character I love. I could not turn this down, it would have been about 7K more (here in Canada where I am ) to obtain a 118238 with significantly more wear. I had to go with the like new 18238 and I have no regrets. My final piece of advice is I think whatever model version you buy, get the best condition possible. You will see condition dictates price and rightly so.

Here are a couple pics of my DD. Absolutely love it. Good luck in your search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ddbluejacket.jpg (213.8 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg ddharmony3.jpg (155.4 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg DD work.JPG (65.5 KB, 522 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 01:30 AM   #4
mineral
"TRF" Member

Good advice and handsome looking day date

I love mine too. It is early 60s 1803 without quick set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Hi welcome to the forums. The price range you have listed in your post covers a wide range of day dates, stemming probably form the 60's to the year 2000. The watch is essentially the same but has made some significant upgrades over the years which may or may not be important to you. I will let you know what my thinking was when I purchased my 1990 model 18238 but I suggest you continue to search this forum and use google to learn more on the evolution of this watch. And it goes without saying that any Day Date is a classic iconic watch.

After doing my research I knew I wanted a 36mm day date in yellow gold. I wanted it to have a double quick set (date and day change mechanism) and a sapphire crystal. This meant I was looking at a 18238 (production started late 89 or 1990) or a 118238 which is the current version, which came out in 2000. This model had a few upgrades during that decade including solid center links, an improved clasp, polished lugs, etc. Again, google is your friend on this.

So given my own budget I was set to purchase either a mint 18238 or a good condition 118238. I was very fortunate to come across a mint 18238 that had sat in a safe. It had a fresh Rolex service and was pristine. It also had an amazing tapestry dial which gives it a depth and character I love. I could not turn this down, it would have been about 7K more (here in Canada where I am ) to obtain a 118238 with significantly more wear. I had to go with the like new 18238 and I have no regrets. My final piece of advice is I think whatever model version you buy, get the best condition possible. You will see condition dictates price and rightly so.

Here are a couple pics of my DD. Absolutely love it. Good luck in your search.
Old 16 October 2017, 01:59 AM   #5
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
I love mine too. It is early 60s 1803 without quick set.
Lets see a pic of that beauty"!
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 02:49 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Well, you posted in the vintage forum, so I assume you'd be looking for an acrylic model (1803), which is a fantastic reference. If the bracelet is not important to you, a good-condition 1803 head can be found in the $6K range, a little more for the white gold version. Try to find one with a recent service, and I'd suggest the quick-set version of the 3055 movement (late '70s).

For classic vintage charm, an 1803 on leather is tough to beat. I owned one for about a year and regretfully sold it to fund another purchase. I miss it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803 Wristshot.jpg (209.1 KB, 489 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Sasja
"TRF" Member

Wow thank you so much for sharing your stories! And very very beautiful watches!

You are absolutely right, I am looking for a vintage model, gold on a leather strap.

Just to be sure, the 1803 - 1556 is without quickset. So how does one set the day and date? Do i just need to wind 24 hours every time to change the date, or is there a simpler way? (eg. turn back to 6 o'clock and than to midnight and so on?).
Old 16 October 2017, 09:56 AM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Well, you posted in the vintage forum, so I assume you'd be looking for an acrylic model (1803), which is a fantastic reference. If the bracelet is not important to you, a good-condition 1803 head can be found in the $6K range, a little more for the white gold version. Try to find one with a recent service, and I'd suggest the quick-set version of the 3055 movement (late '70s).

For classic vintage charm, an 1803 on leather is tough to beat. I owned one for about a year and regretfully sold it to fund another purchase. I miss it.
This shot made me want one again heh. Stunning.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:55 AM   #9
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Look for a special dial.
lupus66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 02:49 PM   #10
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
The advice above from Maiden is great. I personally was looking for a vintage piece from the 60s as I love the look/character of the 'step dial' and acrylic crystal even at the cost of having quickset(s). The one thing that I wanted to make sure was that the fluted bezel was 'sharp'. Too much polishing or poor polishing in general will 'round' the edges of the fluted bezel which in my opinion gives the overall watch a more 'used' look regardless of the condition of the rest of the watch. So something to consider if you're not already. Here are some pics of my DD:

Old 17 October 2017, 07:23 PM   #11
Sasja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
The advice above from Maiden is great. I personally was looking for a vintage piece from the 60s as I love the look/character of the 'step dial' and acrylic crystal even at the cost of having quickset(s). The one thing that I wanted to make sure was that the fluted bezel was 'sharp'. Too much polishing or poor polishing in general will 'round' the edges of the fluted bezel which in my opinion gives the overall watch a more 'used' look regardless of the condition of the rest of the watch. So something to consider if you're not already. Here are some pics of my DD:
Wow that is really a beautiful watch! Just what i am looking for, though i might put mine on a leather strap!

To ask you, once again as I did not get a response the first time, just to be sure, the 1803 - 1556 is without quickset. So how does one set the day and date? Do i just need to wind 24 hours every time to change the date, or is there a simpler way? (eg. turn back to 6 o'clock and than to midnight and so on?).
Old 17 October 2017, 07:38 PM   #12
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasja View Post
Wow thank you so much for sharing your stories! And very very beautiful watches!

You are absolutely right, I am looking for a vintage model, gold on a leather strap.

Just to be sure, the 1803 - 1556 is without quickset. So how does one set the day and date? Do i just need to wind 24 hours every time to change the date, or is there a simpler way? (eg. turn back to 6 o'clock and than to midnight and so on?).

Look for a good tight band, sharp bezel and case, here his you set a 1803.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 October 2017, 01:40 AM   #13
Sasja
"TRF" Member

Thank you som much!

I know its not quickset per say, but hey at least you don't have to wind 24 hours! So it is quicker!

Another question, would you guys say anything regarding the value of the watch, if the day dial is not in english?

I know this has been discussed many times, but never the less my opinion is that a foreign dial gives the watch some character. I have found a beautiful near mint 1803 with a Italian day dial, and to be honest, I think looks great.

But would you say the value down the line is less if its not in English?
Old 25 October 2017, 04:11 PM   #14
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
just reading the setting procedures for the 1803...is painful.
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 12:29 AM   #15
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleyReese View Post
just reading the setting procedures for the 1803...is painful.
Setting my 1803 is a whoooooooole lot quicker than my 1675
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote