The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2020, 12:25 PM   #1
jmcmemcm
"TRF" Member

34mm

I just purchased a 15200 for my son as a surprise gift off Chrono24. I really tried to do my homework but purchasing on line was a challenge. This watch was smaller than I envisioned. I even searched wrist pictures of this size. My son is a 150lb skinny distance runner. Not sure his wrist size but I’m sure it’s 7 or likely smaller. Is this a good size for him? Much of what I read in the forum is that a lot of people love the 34.
jmcmemcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 12:40 PM   #2
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
I have 6.5 inch wrists, and love my 34mm air-king
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 12:41 PM   #3
logantrky
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Love the 34.
logantrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 12:43 PM   #4
Pandacat
"TRF" Member

It really depends on his wrist size. Lug to lug size is
43mm i believe. If his wrist is really 7 inches, it might be too small, but thats subjective.
Pandacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 12:45 PM   #5
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandacat View Post
It really depends on his wrist size. Lug to lug size is
43mm i believe. If his wrist is really 7 inches, it might be too small, but thats subjective.

You make a very good point. Also if the ops son has a wide flat wrist it might look small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 12:52 PM   #6
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
My 34mm Tudor OysterDate looks fine on my 7.25” wrist. He’ll love the watch! It’ll be great for him
drockadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 01:08 PM   #7
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
I have a 6.7 inch wrist give or take. I'd say a Rolex 15200 fits me well.

vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 01:08 PM   #8
peterpl
Banned

Honestly its going to look tiny on him.

My Mrs wears a 36mm and that watch looks perfect on her and she is tiny. Imagine a 34mm on a 150lb 7 inch wrist.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
I wear my 34 daily.
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 01:15 PM   #10
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I weigh 165 and have 6.5 inch wrists and a 34mm OP is my daily. You did well.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 01:33 PM   #11
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Young people like larger watches. I'm guessing that the overwhelming majority of those giving the thumbs up on 34mm are senior citizens (not that there's anything wrong with that).
NachoNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 01:38 PM   #12
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I think wrist shape plays a part as well. It’s tough to say without him trying it on. As a general rule, I personally wouldn’t go less than 36, but can 2 mm really make much of a difference?

I have a flat 7” wrist and think my 36mm looks great.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 01:44 PM   #13
logantrky
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
Young people like larger watches. I'm guessing that the overwhelming majority of those giving the thumbs up on 34mm are senior citizens (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Not necessarily. I'm in my 20s and wear a 36mm. I am noticing a lot of younger people prefer the classic look of smaller watches.
logantrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 02:13 PM   #14
jmcmemcm
"TRF" Member

More detail. He’s soon to be 28 and coming out of med school. Young but certainly not a kid. His career look will also be more business than casual I guess.
Old 23 April 2020, 02:20 PM   #15
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very much a matter of personal preference, but this is a small watch for a male by modern standards. Who here would know how he will feel? He may love it, hate it, or be indifferent. I suppose some subtle questioning prior to purchasing may have given you some clues, but then might have risked spoiling the surprise. I believe that with watches, unless you absolutely know what someone wants then it's better to let them decide for themselves - but hopefully the gift will work out well
Old 23 April 2020, 03:17 PM   #16
jmcmemcm
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Very much a matter of personal preference, but this is a small watch for a male by modern standards. Who here would know how he will feel? He may love it, hate it, or be indifferent. I suppose some subtle questioning prior to purchasing may have given you some clues, but then might have risked spoiling the surprise. I believe that with watches, unless you absolutely know what someone wants then it's better to let them decide for themselves - but hopefully the gift will work out well
I know watches have been trending bigger the last few years. Getting information discreetly would have been great but I’m afraid the surprise would have been sniffed out. I didn’t want to risk it. I have 14 days to return and choose a 36 or bigger if I decide to go that route. I’ll wait for more input from the forum but I know it’s such a personal choice. Thanks!!!
Old 23 April 2020, 03:33 PM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

140lbs long distance runner here (26), I wear my 34mm olive green Oyster Perpetual almost every day and it looks great on my 6.5" wrist.
I even wear a 32mm 1940s Omega quite regularly.

SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 03:43 PM   #18
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I believe you should look at 39mm OP, comes in different dial colors and for most folks, this size is a sweet spot, not too big, not too small.

34mm might be too small for a modern man. However, there are many people on this forum who are collectors and have the appreciation for all watches/sizes. That said, 39mm would be better as a first nice watch. Once he start collecting he may look for different look/size/brand of watches.
polaris72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 03:46 PM   #19
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmemcm View Post
I know watches have been trending bigger the last few years. Getting information discreetly would have been great but I’m afraid the surprise would have been sniffed out. I didn’t want to risk it. I have 14 days to return and choose a 36 or bigger if I decide to go that route. I’ll wait for more input from the forum but I know it’s such a personal choice. Thanks!!!
As you can return I definitely would, I bought a 34mm Air King, everything about it seemed small, within a couple of months I traded it for a 36mm Datejust and it made a big difference. FYI I have 7 inch wrists.

The way I look at it any guy average size of smaller can pull of a 36mm, the same can not be said for a 34mm, it can look too small. Its a lovely gesture to buy the watch, why risk getting something that he may not love.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 04:00 PM   #20
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
I'm in my 20s and I think 34mm is amazing. My brother has a Tudor Prince Oysterdate and it looks amazing on him.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 04:05 PM   #21
JZ52
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by logantrky View Post
Not necessarily. I'm in my 20s and wear a 36mm. I am noticing a lot of younger people prefer the classic look of smaller watches.
+1

I'm 31 and thinking of going the "small" size route. Great deals on Patek's and vacheron constantin. Love the classic look.
JZ52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 05:35 PM   #22
Woody
"TRF" Member

Here is my 34 mm Oyster Date on my 6.75 inch wrist (I am 155lbs). The watch is quite small and I generally wear 39/40mm sports watches. If you want to edge your bets then I would likely opt for the 36mm Oyster Date or Datejust.....but that said, it is a great gift and I am sure he will be delighted with whatever you pick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0841.jpeg (190.6 KB, 533 views)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 06:07 PM   #23
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris72 View Post
I believe you should look at 39mm OP, comes in different dial colors and for most folks, this size is a sweet spot, not too big, not too small.

34mm might be too small for a modern man. However, there are many people on this forum who are collectors and have the appreciation for all watches/sizes. That said, 39mm would be better as a first nice watch. Once he start collecting he may look for different look/size/brand of watches.
Personally I think this advice is sound. The 39mm OP is the perfect modern all round piece.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 08:04 PM   #24
LChanyungco
"TRF" Member

My wrist is 6.75 inches and aesthetically 34mm is really on the edge for me. I owned a 5500 at one point and while a very nice watch it vibed more like a delicate bangle-bracelet than anything. 40mm I believe is the sweet spot for most.
LChanyungco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:58 PM   #25
kidneymd
"TRF" Member

I am a physician myself and I think 34mm is a great choice for someone who is going into residency and just starting out their career. Unless he or his friends/colleagues are WIS, no one will really be able to tell the difference. Most people will see that he’s wearing a classic understated watch. It may benefit him not to have something “too nice” or something that is nicer than what his superiors might wear. Medicine does tend to be very hierarchical. As he progresses in his career and earns more, he can choose to get what he wants down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kidneymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 12:01 AM   #26
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
I have 6.5(roughly) inch wrists and my 34mm AK feels fine on the wrist. The only time it feels a tad small to me is after I wear a 42mm or something in that range. Its a perfectly proportioned watch in my opinion. Good choice.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 12:17 AM   #27
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Personally I think this advice is sound. The 39mm OP is the perfect modern all round piece.
I'll also agree with that. As much as an older 34mm OP is more charming, the OP39 is simply better as a one watch collection. Especially white dial, it's a GADA watch.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 12:43 AM   #28
dafuture
"TRF" Member

It's really personal taste. For me, 34mm (and even many 36mm) looks small. Your son might feel differently.
Old 24 April 2020, 12:46 AM   #29
Sansom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
I have been wearing Rolex since the 90's.
In the 90's there was not difference from 34mm to 36...
your wrist does not know the difference.... such a small difference.
I think the watch is perfect.
Sansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 01:00 AM   #30
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
I'll also agree with that. As much as an older 34mm OP is more charming, the OP39 is simply better as a one watch collection. Especially white dial, it's a GADA watch.
These postings seem to imply that there is some average human being and a what is to be purchased is for this individual. Also, somehow there is a concept of a perfect watch, a better watch ... a modern perspective.

I don't think these concepts apply. The watch was purchased for a specific individual. If he has similar preferences as I have, he will love the 34mm Oyster Perpetual. If not, that's fine, it is a gift and because of that I would suspect he will be happy regardless of his preferences. He doesn't have to wear it. He may not even have an interest in wearing a watch. I have some brothers who simply don't have any interest in wearing wrist watches. The phone is their instrument.

There is no perfect watch since we are all different.
There is no all round piece for the same reason.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote