The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 February 2017, 05:08 PM   #1
andreturning
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Is watchmaking a good career? I have a apprentice...

I have a interview for a apprenticeship position.Is watchmaking a good overall career? will the need continue to rise? salary wise can i make a good living? young guy here mid-twenties, Located in the US.new-england to be exact.
Old 25 February 2017, 05:10 PM   #2
Pharaoh_83
"TRF" Member

I believe that if you build a reputation of trust and great service you'll succeed. My family has been in the jewellery business for decades now and that formula always builds your repeat clients.

Good luck!
Old 25 February 2017, 05:17 PM   #3
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
From what I've heard, be prepared to throw down 30k if you want to keep a Rolex parts account these days
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 25 February 2017, 06:39 PM   #4
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
I can't see why not. It is a respectable profession and since the demand for mechanical watches always increases, there will always be work to be done. A little bit like doctors or opticians. I, however, wouldn't be able to go that route as I am far from being a handyman.
Old 25 February 2017, 06:44 PM   #5
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossbeau View Post
I can't see why not. It is a respectable profession and since the demand for mechanical watches always increases, there will always be work to be done. A little bit like doctors or opticians. I, however, wouldn't be able to go that route as I am far from being a handyman.
I'm with Vin on this. X2
Old 25 February 2017, 07:45 PM   #6
ukflyboy
"TRF" Member

This is perhaps not the best place to ask, as peoples' opinions will be swayed by their passion and interest for watches. The difference between an apprenticeship as a watch maker vs being a plumber/builder/electrician etc is that fixing a luxury watch is entirely optional. If the economy take a hit, so too will your business of fixing expensive watches.

Watch making is a great career, provided you have a keen interest in horology and want to get paid to do it every day. But don't be under any illusions, it isn't going to make you a millionaire and will to a certain degree be susceptible to trends in demand for luxury watches.
Old 25 February 2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukflyboy View Post
This is perhaps not the best place to ask, as peoples' opinions will be swayed by their passion and interest for watches. The difference between an apprenticeship as a watch maker vs being a plumber/builder/electrician etc is that fixing a luxury watch is entirely optional. If the economy take a hit, so too will your business of fixing expensive watches.

Watch making is a great career, provided you have a keen interest in horology and want to get paid to do it every day. But don't be under any illusions, it isn't going to make you a millionaire and will to a certain degree be susceptible to trends in demand for luxury watches.
This. Good advice.
Old 25 February 2017, 08:30 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

It's the best career for me, I'm very happy to make a career out of my passion and would recommend it to anyone who is passionate about watches.
Old 25 February 2017, 08:45 PM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

A skill of any type is good to have. The skills you'll learn are transferable and you'll be paid for your hobby if you love it. You may never be a millionaire, so what? You can be successful road sweeper if you love it and work hard.
Old 25 February 2017, 09:02 PM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukflyboy View Post

Great answer here.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 25 February 2017, 09:03 PM   #11
MonBK
Banned

Seems to work for Kent.
Old 26 February 2017, 12:25 AM   #12
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Watchmakers are in short supply in this day and age. Just in the US, there are millions of Rolex timepieces out there and they all need to be serviced/fixed at some time. I truly feel independent watchmakers are essential, as the RSC'S in the US cannot service all the Rolex watches that are out there. And many young folk want to just sit behind a computer in a cubicle. The watchmaker industry needs new recruits, IMO
Old 26 February 2017, 12:35 AM   #13
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Well, honestly I don't think it's easy to set up your own shop and get enough work to make a living. If you choose to work for an AD, perhaps a different story.
In my country there is only one independent watchmaking company who I trust to work on my watches, otherwise it's off to the RSC. Not a great demand it seems so. Just my feelings, but do live the dream
Old 26 February 2017, 02:07 AM   #14
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Reach out to Vanessa and get her opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 26 February 2017, 02:17 AM   #15
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Reach out to Vanessa and get her opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
X2 !

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 26 February 2017, 02:40 AM   #16
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossbeau View Post
since the demand for mechanical watches always increases
I've got some bad news for you
Closed Thread