The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 February 2017, 04:34 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Anyone with a Jag XJR here??

Does anyone here have an XJR say from 2003-2009? I was able to thrash one for about 30 min at a Jag event when the car was new. I was very impressed vs the previous steel cars. I'm curious how they've held up over the years. There's a faint possibility that I would do something crazy and use one as a daily driver.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 12:37 AM   #2
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Had several. Amazing. Do not get the 5.0L. Many timing issues. 2008-2009 XJR or Super 8 I think they called them were very nice. Can hit 155 fairly easily.

If you want it as a dd get an extended warranty.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 01:25 AM   #3
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
1998 - 2007 have the same exact engine the 4.2l is the better one, I recommend getting the 2011 and up. 1998-2007 have plastic timing chain guides that fail alot. If you dont have a friend thats a mechanic stay away.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 01:49 AM   #4
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Listen to Danny. He knows his stuff!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 11:11 AM   #5
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
The engines were revised around 2003.1997 are 4.0 and I would stay away from thoae. Therefore they do not have the "exact" same engine as 2003-2009 are 4.2l, there are also a few different camshaft revisions. The late 4.2 are the ones to get.

And the 5.0s are worse by far according to forum reports. They had to completely redesign the chain tensioners. Many reports that these engines blow. I researched it for my book. Its an astoundingly high number of reports. At least 20 i have read about. Land rover mechanics told me not to buy the 5.0. Land rover part managers told me not to buy the 5.0. Just google it. There are so many failures reported on jaguarforums and range rover forums. My mechanic says he rebuilds 3 per week. They also have plastic timing guides but the timing gear is far worse. I have lived this nightmare. It is very difficult to retime the 5.0 because the cam sprocket torque. Is part of the timing.

Three quick examples:

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk...ailure-119001/

http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=87440

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-r...9522?_k=3cyz3s
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 11:28 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Had the 2003 4.2 and had no issues other than running off the tires

But buying older Jags of any ilk is like living with an antique watch - plan on regular work...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

The styling of the 5.0 liter model isn't my favorite by far. Do they make an LS swap kit for the 4.2 liter yet? I remember there being LS1 swaps for the 80's XJ. One of my big regrets was not picking up an XJ-C back in the mid 90's I drove with an LS1 swap. A 6 speed LSX swap would be freakin fantastic in an aluminum chassis XJ
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 28 February 2017, 10:26 AM   #8
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
For the love of god please don't buy one.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Ricky Spanish
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/YMii/50Fathoms
I used to have an XF-R before I fell in love with all things AMG. It was a fantastic car but always felt a little on the cheap side. The XJ's are amazing looking but I personally would never own any JLR vehicle pre 5-liter engines.
Ricky Spanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
I used to have an XF-R before I fell in love with all things AMG. It was a fantastic car but always felt a little on the cheap side. The XJ's are amazing looking but I personally would never own any JLR vehicle pre 5-liter engines.
My Dad had a 98 XJ8 for a few years and honestly that car felt like a brick. He once got a ticket for going 85mph that literally violated the laws of physics! The aluminum car was leaps and bounds better chassis-wise. I've been looking for a LS swap for the aluminum car but no luck so far I just can't get into the new 5.0 car. I've had some crazy ideas of going all Anglo and flipping my VW and NSX to get a V8 Vantage or a Bentley Continental and a XJR. The XJR would be my daily of which may be slight masochistic.