The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 February 2017, 01:55 PM   #1
xwalker4
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060/116500LN/PA
My journey into the world of watches

Hello all! I've been reading these message boards for several months now and have finally decided to make my introductory post. A little background: like so many of you, I've worn a watch the majority of my life and have had an appreciation for watches, even if it's only been mild over the years. About 4.5 years ago, as a gift for my graduation, my parents got me a nice Hamilton H64455133 Khaki King 40. I really have enjoyed the watch and it's still what I wear on a daily basis. I'm not sure what motivated me to do some research on it, but several months ago, I did just that. And then, like probably all of you, I caught the bug. I realized/discovered that I love watches. All aspects, really. The look, the feel, the history, the mechanics, etc. I've become obsessed!

Along the way, I've decided to upgrade my watch and begin a collection. Months of research had led me to narrow down my search to pretty typical choices for first time watch buyers such as myself: the Rolex Submariner 114060 and some version of an Omega Speedmaster (likely 311.30.42.30.01.005).

About 2 weeks ago, I had the pleasure of taking my research to an in person level, as I visited my local jewelry store/AD as well as the local Omega boutique. I can't even describe how much fun I had!! The gentleman at the Omega boutique in particular spent quite a bit of time with me and we had a great conversation. This process has been more fun than I could have ever imagined and I KNOW it will become a lifelong passion of mine.

Now, a question or two for the wise members of this board and veterans of the watch world:

1) Any absolutely vital advice for a first timer?
2) It's easy to find, with minimal research, several trusted sellers on these forums with fantastic deals on BNIB versions of the watches I have honed in on. We're talking significant cost differences. So, my question is, what would I be receiving from an AD or boutique to justify the added cost? Are there benefits down the road? Is there any reason to go that route? Basically I would value your opinions on this. Of course, I seek a good deal, but not at the risk of anything that I might bit foresee. So, any direction on what I imagine is a common query would be very helpful.

Thank you!!
xwalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 03:34 PM   #2
U5512
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the Forum!!!
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 03:44 PM   #3
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwalker4 View Post
Hello all! I've been reading these message boards for several months now and have finally decided to make my introductory post. A little background: like so many of you, I've worn a watch the majority of my life and have had an appreciation for watches, even if it's only been mild over the years. About 4.5 years ago, as a gift for my graduation, my parents got me a nice Hamilton H64455133 Khaki King 40. I really have enjoyed the watch and it's still what I wear on a daily basis. I'm not sure what motivated me to do some research on it, but several months ago, I did just that. And then, like probably all of you, I caught the bug. I realized/discovered that I love watches. All aspects, really. The look, the feel, the history, the mechanics, etc. I've become obsessed!

Along the way, I've decided to upgrade my watch and begin a collection. Months of research had led me to narrow down my search to pretty typical choices for first time watch buyers such as myself: the Rolex Submariner 114060 and some version of an Omega Speedmaster (likely 311.30.42.30.01.005).

About 2 weeks ago, I had the pleasure of taking my research to an in person level, as I visited my local jewelry store/AD as well as the local Omega boutique. I can't even describe how much fun I had!! The gentleman at the Omega boutique in particular spent quite a bit of time with me and we had a great conversation. This process has been more fun than I could have ever imagined and I KNOW it will become a lifelong passion of mine.

Now, a question or two for the wise members of this board and veterans of the watch world:

2) It's easy to find, with minimal research, several trusted sellers on these forums with fantastic deals on BNIB versions of the watches I have honed in on. We're talking significant cost differences. So, my question is, what would I be receiving from an AD or boutique to justify the added cost? Are there benefits down the road? Is there any reason to go that route? Basically I would value your opinions on this. Of course, I seek a good deal, but not at the risk of anything that I might bit foresee. So, any direction on what I imagine is a common query would be very helpful.

Thank you!!

First of welcome to the crazy world of watch collecting. The only real advice I can think of is to buy pieces that have value to you and hold value on the secondary market. When I first got into watches I went breitling crazy and owned almost every piece in the modern collection. I soon realized that the sizing of most of their pieces aren't really me and started to move them at significant losses.

In terms of a trusted seller on here, there are tons of members that have dealt with them and from what I have read and ones I have chatted with offline it all seems to be worth it. I personally have never bought from a trusted seller on here as I have managed to get pretty good deals locally from the AD.

Hope this helps. And remember when you get your watch post some pics!
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 03:51 PM   #4
sparksgmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Don't stress about saving money on your first "expensive" watch. Odds are you'll keep it forever. I bought my first and only (for now) from an AD 7 years ago and don't regret it, even enjoy having sales receipt in my name. Maybe that doesn't matter to some, but watches don't matter to most. So it's whatever

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
sparksgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 04:20 PM   #5
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Welcome to TRF!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 05:24 PM   #6
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Run.

Run now. Fast.

This place is friendly, helpful and expensive

Seriously, if you feel this way already, in a few years you may have blown the deposit on an apartment on watches...

I did. No regrets. Love every piece. But then I can afford it (I tell myself)
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 07:00 PM   #7
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

if you're not going to take jagwap's very sound advice to run away, I would say take your time selecting what you buy, and be prepared to be unsure and even confused at times. When the find the right piece, you'll know. And it almost certainly will not be what you thought it would be at the beginning.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 07:51 PM   #8
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
if you're not going to take jagwap's very sound advice to run away, I would say take your time selecting what you buy, and be prepared to be unsure and even confused at times. When the find the right piece, you'll know. And it almost certainly will not be what you thought it would be at the beginning.
^True dat...
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 07:59 PM   #9
mick121212
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
I've only got 2 decent watches, first one was an Omega orange planet ocean (Boutique) and I've just bought a Rolex bluesy (AD).

I was wondering which route to go with for the bluesy but what swung it for me was the AD offering me a 5% reduction when another store wouldn't knock anything off. Also, the warranty on the Omega had expired by 2 years and it was due the 5 year service, so when I complained about a fault with one of the buttons on the chronograph, they offered to repair, service and polish F.O.C.., would they have done that if it was a grey? So, a lot of it comes down to luck, if I hadn't had problems with my Omega, I would have gone down the grey route for the bluesy.. I've heard stories of the Bezels not lining up, etc with the greys, it's a case of do you want the hassle?

Only you can decide... Over to you..
mick121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:06 PM   #10
Camel
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
You must be very careful. The following can happen to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLLECT 1115 2.jpg (182.1 KB, 328 views)
Rolex Deepsea D-Blue Horizon 116660 "3170xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570 "T20xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Black 216570 "G53xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 "P32xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II Ceramic 116710LN "V97xxxx"
Rolex Submariner 16610 "Z61xxxx"
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN "G79xxxx"
Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:47 PM   #11
xwalker4

Thank you for the kind responses! Unfortunately (or fortunately haha), there will be no running! But I think I'll be able to gradually and slowly add to my collection as my means dictate. Of course, I don't have a wife or kids so that will dictate a lot of things should that ever change!

Oh, and here's a camera phone pic of the only watch currently in my rotation (for now):

image.jpg

(No idea why my picture was flipped or why I couldn't orient it the correct way - sorry guys!)
Old 15 February 2017, 09:59 PM   #12
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Fixed your pic Ron. A warm TRF welcome to you. You're quite passionate, we all are here. Do your due diligence and you'll be fine with your purchase. There's nothing wrong with going the AD route especially for your first purchase. That being said there's nothing wrong with the trusted seller route either with the emphasis being on trusted, always buy the seller before buying the timepiece. With an AD you don't have to worry about that.
Please post pics when your acquire your first and no matter what never get rid of that Hamilton!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1267.JPG (145.8 KB, 296 views)

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 10:05 PM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Thank you for the kind responses! Unfortunately (or fortunately haha), there will be no running! But I think I'll be able to gradually and slowly add to my collection as my means dictate. Of course, I don't have a wife or kids so that will dictate a lot of things should that ever change!

Oh, and here's a camera phone pic of the only watch currently in my rotation (for now):

Attachment 828566

(No idea why my picture was flipped or why I couldn't orient it the correct way - sorry guys!)
I love Hamilton Owned two Khaki Field Automatics with date only. One 38mm and another when they went up to 41mm. Great watches
Old 16 February 2017, 04:18 AM   #14
BomB#Frog
"TRF" Member

The best thing I have learned is patience.
BomB#Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 10:01 AM   #15
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
(No idea why my picture was flipped or why I couldn't orient it the correct way - sorry guys!)[/QUOTE]

Try editing the pic and resize it to a smaller % before uploading it.
Had the same problem before
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 10:46 AM   #16
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Ron, welcome to the forum. I'd go to an AD, one that makes you feel comfortable and has patience. Enjoy the wait, try all the watches you can, check this forum. Don't buy a watch as an impulse but when you like one be firm in you decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 01:58 PM   #17
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Welcome to TRF as some have said buy the seller if you're going to buy from the forum. There's nothing wrong with buying preowned and saving lots of $$$$$.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 03:15 PM   #18
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Welcome

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 05:39 PM   #19
TM28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksgmt View Post
Don't stress about saving money on your first "expensive" watch. Odds are you'll keep it forever. I bought my first and only (for now) from an AD 7 years ago and don't regret it, even enjoy having sales receipt in my name. Maybe that doesn't matter to some, but watches don't matter to most. So it's whatever

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I feel the same way. There is nothing like seeing your name on that green warrantee card and knowing that the watch will be with you forever. Can't go wrong with the SubC no date!
TM28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 08:09 PM   #20
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Welcome Ron. Nice Hamilton.
A mate of mine with a few watches says every WIS deserves to buy a new Rolex from the AD and get the "royal treatment" at least once.
Doesn't really bother me so any watches I buy will probably be from a "Trusted Seller".
Likewise my name on the Warranty also doesn't bother me.
I will always deal directly with the RSC for servicing so again the AD isn't a key link in the process for me.
Good luck with your decision.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 12:02 AM   #21
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Don't skimp because you'll regret it later. If I could do it all over again, I'd go straight to the watch I liked most within the range of my savings ability.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 12:24 AM   #22
Kostas

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
take your time , research the models you're interested in thoroughly , and beware of deals that sound too good to be true.

Oh and welcome !
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 03:13 AM   #23
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 04:44 AM   #24
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF Ron

There is lots to learn around here...soak it up!
Old 17 February 2017, 01:40 PM   #25
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Welcome Ron
Old 17 February 2017, 01:45 PM   #26
xwalker4

Thanks for the warm welcome!! I look forward to a lifetime of great watches, conversation, and camaraderie!!
Old 18 February 2017, 02:16 AM   #27
georgy.r
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you!!
Welcome to TRF
georgy.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 07:31 PM   #28
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Welcome.

Take your time. Half the fun is in the hunt!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 03:05 AM   #29
Daryl

Welcome anD enjoy

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 03:20 AM   #30
Goin2drt
Banned

Welcome and be patient.

I will answer your questions and only one mans opinion.

1. Be patient, ask lots of questions, do a lot of research, be leery and that "great deal" - totally applies to watches if it is too good to be true, it is.
2. Trusted sellers are great and there are a few here. You may or may not get a factory warranty. You can buy with confidence and it is a pretty sterile transaction and you get what you get. There are gray market dealers (Jomashop etc) that are also very trusted. You will get "their" warranty and no factory warranty. Again buy with confidence and many have been around for a very long time so if you needed warranty service, no problem. Again they are a sterile transaction. The above you will get the best discount traditionally. Now go to AD and you pay for the experience and factory warranty. It is an experience usually that you will remember forever.

I personally have bought from all three; trusted seller (Takuya and sohail), gray market (Jomashop and authenticwatches) as well as AD's Rolex (Ben Bridge and Rolex themselves), Tourrneau, Omega. They are all great experiences and served a purpose.

Having said all that nothing comes close to buying a couple Rollie's in Grand Cayman from Karen at Kirk Freeport. I gladly paid more than any of the above and my wife and I will remember that experience for a lifetime.

Good luck on your journey, it only ends when you are 6ft under.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote