The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 February 2017, 07:27 AM   #31
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Amen. Seeing the same thing at IG more and more. Kicks the fun out of the hobby.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 01:41 PM   #32
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I did not know that this was a breach of a forum rule. This weekend I am going to post a few pics of my Tudor ranger II & sub projects. I will also post the names of folks making me offers or inquiring. Should be fun!
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 02:35 PM   #33
Stuntpilot
Banned

I don't care much for any of the vintage dealers. But capitalism is the reigning rule.
Stuntpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 10:17 PM   #34
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
I wonder if others have experienced what I have.

When I post pictures of a new vintage "find" here, I often then receive a private message from someone I know to be a dealer in the USA, asking if I wish to sell the watch.

There is little courtesy in the messages (tonight's was simply "Any interest in selling this?"), but I accept that rudeness is not a crime. Perhaps he sends out so many that there isn't time for a little polish...

There are many members whose pleasure comes quite reasonably from observing rather than participating in discussion, but to be a member for five years and make fewer than 50 posts while actively, systematically, brazenly and indiscriminately targeting so many watches with direct messages does not seem to me to be in the forum spirit.

Moderators may even consider it to be an abuse of the forum.

At first I thanked the canvasser and politely declined his interest. The next time I again declined the dealer's interest, informed him that I was generally not a seller of vintage pieces and courteously suggested that he would be wasting his time if he contacted me again asking to buy other watches. Perhaps forgetting this and in such an habit of approaching the owner of any watch he fancies, he has now chased me for another, as above.

I have chosen not to give the dealer's name.

Yes, this complaint could have been posted in another of the sub-fora, but since this dealer seems to be targeting watches and posters here in the vintage forum it seemed the most appropriate place to raise the matter.

I'm a dealer in modern Rolex myself, but I am also a collector and lover of vintage Rolex. I visit this and other fora to share that pleasure --- not to be repeatedly and cynically targeted in parasitic fashion by another "member" who seems otherwise to bring nothing to the party.

Haywood Milton, UK
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 02:34 AM   #35
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
That would be obnoxious. I have yet to delve into the vintage pool but know I'd be annoyed if someone was constantly asking to buy my pieces. Heck I get annoyed at the fact that most of the "trusted sellers" don't seem to actively participate in the forum either.....
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 05:19 AM   #36
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Some people just have no courtesy, manners or CLASS. If you wanted to sell your watches, you would have listed them. I don't understand how some people think. I really enjoy seeing your posts.
Old 26 February 2017, 07:23 AM   #37
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

People are hunting for mispriced watches. Trying to make a buck. I would like to think we are more ethical than they are. I think we can all be opportunists. I suppose I see your point that you don't want to be solicited. but the next time a little old lady offers to sell you a 5513 for $1000 I guess we all need to do the right thing. I recently snagged a 9315 Tudor band on eBay for $200 buy it now. Seller was lost. I felt bad and sent her some more $.
Old 26 February 2017, 07:40 AM   #38
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
People are hunting for mispriced watches. Trying to make a buck. I would like to think we are more ethical than they are. I think we can all be opportunists. I suppose I see your point that you don't want to be solicited. but the next time a little old lady offers to sell you a 5513 for $1000 I guess we all need to do the right thing. I recently snagged a 9315 Tudor band on eBay for $200 buy it now. Seller was lost. I felt bad and sent her some more $.

Harry, when Haywood had already asked the member to stop contacting him as he does NOT sell vintage watches, why do you think it's ok to still be pestered by the very same seller over and over again?

It's kind of like hanging a no soliciting sign on your front door. Are you the person who ignores the notice, and keeps knocking?

I get what you are saying about people asking, or trying to capitalize on things, but that isn't the same thing here. It's about one member continually contacting AFTER being asked not to. Not random one off contacts....as you keep saying is acceptable!

Harassment via the TRF message system is against the rules, that isn't new.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 07:44 AM   #39
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

I agree. If you tell someone to go away it's not right. FYI, I don't solicit. Just wanted to make this clear
Old 26 February 2017, 07:45 AM   #40
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I agree. If you tell someone to go away it's not right. FYI, I don't solicit. Just wanted to make this clear
Understood. Haywood's grievance is just, also trying to be clear!
Enjoy your weekend.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote