The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 January 2020, 12:32 AM   #31
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Exactly.

No one argues that there aren’t color variations, but what is debatable is the production timeline.

Many experts on the MK1,2,3 subject, suggest that the first release dates were Basel 2018 to about September 2018 ~ MK1. Then in Sept/October the MK2 was released. The MK3 came along much later in the cycle.

It looks like Rolex must be back to producing MK1’s OR the only woman at Rolex who knows how to concoct the colors is messing with us because there was a recent incoming thread here and the coloring looked exactly as what’s been described as MK1.

This leads me to believe the colors simply vary from batch to batch in the manufacturing process vs. a deliberate color scheme difference by timeline.

Problem with color though is that we all see it differently, so even Rolex can’t confirm what MK bezel you have

This is very well said Brian and what I was trying to get across as well...thanks for your input!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 12:35 AM   #32
Lurizzle
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmis View Post
Thank you for the feedback, when did the mark II come into circulation?
When I got 'the call' that my BLRO was ready for pickup last year, I wasn't up to speed on the latest so I didn't even know there was a MKII or MK III or whatever. I remember wincing, as if preparing for impact as I opened the box in anticipation of seeing the strawberry and grape bezel. Imagine my pleasant surprise - I had to do a double take... The colors were darker and had a vintage feel I couldn't believe and had not seen previously. I raced out of there and jumped into a TRF hole in the car and (using the search function) found all the MK talk and learned of the way of the different BLRO bezels. It was a wonderful way to find out, I have to say.

To answer your question, I acquired the MKII in March 2019 in Florida.
Lurizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 12:35 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
This is very well said Brian and what I was trying to get across as well...thanks for your input!
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 12:43 AM   #34
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Basically it needs to be seen in the flesh but there is a difference. I have seen them side by side.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:43 AM   #35
charlesheung
"TRF" Member

I prefer the mark III because it should be the fresh stock amongst these three versions.
charlesheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:15 AM   #36
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
There is no debate. There are 3 distinct versions. Once you see a 1 vs a 2 or 3 in person you will understand.

There are some people in denial or that like to troll, but there are indeed 3 versions. Yes different versions look different in different lighting conditions. But overall 2 and 3 are darker than 1 in the same lighting. And it most definitely matters as once you see say a mk1 vs a mk3 in sunlight you will understand.
Out of interest, are the different versions linked to production dates or is it just random which version you get?

So if I picked a watch up tomorrow, could it be either a 1, 2 or 3 or would it definately be version 3 because thats the latest type to be produced?

Thanks

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:19 AM   #37
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
I guess the point is that any buyers need to be sure they like the particular color variation before buying. I do find some variants of this watch considerably more visually pleasing than others and I am sure many people feel the same. So, if you are being offered one by a dealer it would be wise to insist on inspecting it in person before committing to a purchase.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:25 AM   #38
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I guess the point is that any buyers need to be sure they like the particular color variation before buying. I do find some variants of this watch considerably more visually pleasing than others and I am sure many people feel the same. So, if you are being offered one by a dealer it would be wise to insist on inspecting it in person before committing to a purchase.
99.9% of people offered a ss BLRO will grab it .Mk irrelevant.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 05:41 AM   #39
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post

Problem is if you’ve been waiting 2 years for a watch would you really turn it down because the colours weren’t what you were expecting.

Imagine turning it down, waiting another 2 years only to find that watch has the same bezel as the first one you turned down 2 years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 6 January 2020, 06:09 AM   #40
timtom33
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Maybe the ADs can start several lists, one list for the MK1, one list for the Mk2, and so on?
timtom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:12 AM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Problem is if you’ve been waiting 2 years for a watch would you really turn it down because the colours weren’t what you were expecting.

Imagine turning it down, waiting another 2 years only to find that watch has the same bezel as the first one you turned down 2 years ago...

Exactly.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:25 AM   #42
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Perhaps there are now 3 elves in Rolex all making BLRO bezels!!
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 06:29 AM   #43
djyolky
Banned

Quote:

Lol. Yes. If I didn't like the product why would I continue through with it? Talk about FOMO?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 07:17 AM   #44
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Out of interest, are the different versions linked to production dates or is it just random which version you get?

So if I picked a watch up tomorrow, could it be either a 1, 2 or 3 or would it definately be version 3 because thats the latest type to be produced?

Thanks

No one really knows the exact dates and like Brian said, recently some of the production has come out looking like the original bezel so who really knows.
Old 6 January 2020, 07:29 AM   #45
pvl86
"TRF" Member

Wouldn't it be great if the variations were by design. Each BLRO would be relatively unique. I don't see a problem with that.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
pvl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 08:07 AM   #46
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Mark 1.5. That’s the real collectors item.
I have an MK 1.5, which in this example is MK1 red (raspberry) and MK2 transitional blue (slightly darker than MK1 grape).

Extremely rare as you know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wgsub-gmt.jpg (201.3 KB, 117 views)
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 08:19 AM   #47
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
No one really knows the exact dates and like Brian said, recently some of the production has come out looking like the original bezel so who really knows.
Hi - thanks for the info.

I only scan read through the thread quickly before posting my question.

It was only after posting & then re-reading the thread properly, I realised Brian had already kind of answered my question.

My bad, sorry, but thanks again anyway.

Old 6 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #48
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi - thanks for the info.

I only scan read through the thread quickly before posting my question.

It was only after posting & then re-reading the thread properly, I realised Brian had already kind of answered my question.

My bad, sorry, but thanks again anyway.

No worries Max!
Old 6 January 2020, 08:28 AM   #49
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
I have an MK 1.5, which in this example is MK1 red (raspberry) and MK2 transitional blue (slightly darker than MK1 grape).

Joke all you want but the MK I is rare, extremely rare in the context of modern stainless steel professional Rolex.

Looking at Chrono 24 there are a few MK I for sale at around a 10k premium.

HQ Milton advertised a MK I for sale recently, dubbed the “magneto”
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 08:31 AM   #50
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post

Your picture got me thinking - obviously Rolex produce a perfectly good 'blue' with the smurf ceramic bezel, so all the theorists that state Rolex are still experimenting with the formula trying to get the colours right must be mistaken.

To me, Rolex are perfectly happy with the purple/blue colour some members aren't exactly over the moon with.

Just a thought....

Old 6 January 2020, 08:35 AM   #51
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Your picture got me thinking - obviously Rolex produce a perfectly good 'blue' with the smurf ceramic bezel, so all the theorists that state Rolex are still experimenting with the formula trying to get the colours right must be mistaken.

To me, Rolex are perfectly happy with the purple/blue colour some members aren't exactly over the moon with.

Just a thought....
This whole talk of “right” colours is hilarious

Some guys on here think anything but a primary blue is somehow off/purple. Always with the purple, like an obsession
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 09:06 AM   #52
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:

Just a thought....
All of the ceramic bezels (blue, green BLNR, CHNR, BLRO, etc) are created differently and the BLRO is a red bezel treated on the top layer of the upper half (1800 to 0600) to turn it blue. The MKI bezel has a visible red line that can be easily spotted at the inner edge of the bezel toward the backside or bottom layer. The MKIII has the faintest of lines almost imperceptible. So this theorist posits that not only are they playing with the formula but the process itself is variable.
vipereaper30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 09:16 AM   #53
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire bloke View Post
Which one would be the best investment
Would it be the mark 1 being the first
Or the mark 2 which never had a long time run
Or even the mark 3
None of the above. Put the money in the stock market.
Old 6 January 2020, 09:17 AM   #54
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:

Exactly.
Old 6 January 2020, 09:18 AM   #55
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
The MKI thin red line.
vipereaper30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 09:33 AM   #56
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 12:22 PM   #57
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Blro mark i and mark ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
There is no debate. There are 3 distinct versions. Once you see a 1 vs a 2 or 3 in person you will understand.

Agreed.

My AD sold their first BLRO to a good friend, in July 2018, it is a Mark 1. They sold me the second BLRO early September 2018 and it’s a Mark 2.

I saw someone comment above about the Mark 2 being a short run, and that also crossed my mind. The light can really make these BLROs look different, so if I were to buy one specifically as a Mark 1, I would get on a plane and need to see it in person.

Here is my mark 2 taken in my kitchen, a few minutes apart from each other, one in sunlight, and one in normal light.

10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 12:42 PM   #58
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex, PAM
Like others have said, there is Definitely a difference in colors with the early released BRO.

In order to really tell the difference and appreciate the changes and colors from Mk1 one to Mk2, one really needs to compare in person, as I did. I was able to compare mine (second one AD received in early summer), against one received in December of that same year. Very noticeable difference in both natural and unnatural lighting. In my opinion, there is no doubt a change in bezel color.
Todd Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 01:34 PM   #59
mdubya
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks
MK2 released late 2018, MK3 around Sep/Oct 2019.There was one recent incoming thread where someone just bought a BLRO that looked like a MK1. More than likely sitting in an ADs safe for a while. All other late 2019 BLRO's ive seen are MK3. Another tell is the super bold font on the bezel, more bold than Mk1 and Mk2.
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 01:36 PM   #60
mdubya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
Agreed.

My AD sold their first BLRO to a good friend, in July 2018, it is a Mark 1. They sold me the second BLRO early September 2018 and it’s a Mark 2.

I saw someone comment above about the Mark 2 being a short run, and that also crossed my mind. The light can really make these BLROs look different, so if I were to buy one specifically as a Mark 1, I would get on a plane and need to see it in person.

Here is my mark 2 taken in my kitchen, a few minutes apart from each other, one in sunlight, and one in normal light.

Good post. MK1 in direct sunlight looks VERY pink/purple. This still retains a red/blue hue even in direct sunlight, for the most part. MK3 even more. Mk2 and Mk3 are both great looking, MK2 in natural light is the best (IMO) but can get slightly washed in light. MK3 darker in natural light but retains more colour in direct light.
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote