The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2021, 03:59 PM   #31
lsck
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, I actually saw a Tudor in the AD that I quite like, will see if it's still available and if I can start building a relationship with the AD
lsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:02 PM   #32
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsck View Post
Thanks all, I actually saw a Tudor in the AD that I quite like, will see if it's still available and if I can start building a relationship with the AD
Good low risk move if you like the watch.

I have quite a few Rolexes and I get equally excited or even more by something obtainable and not crazy expensive.

Picking up a Tudor Ceramic tomorrow!

Good luck!
Old 10 December 2021, 05:03 PM   #33
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Good idea
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:15 PM   #34
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you just tell them that you're interested in a sub ND? And you were able to secure one without a purchase history with them?
Indeed.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 12:22 AM   #35
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
If you are looking to just buy the one Rolex you might consider the grey route since by the time you build that relationship you would have probably spent more and still may not have the watch you want. Just be mindful of this.

The date just should be within reach without much history given some patience. The sub may not. But as you have read there are so many variables to consider.

As for me I thought I would only want to buy 1 Rolex and now I’m looking into my third and it’s only been a couple of years so I’m glad I went the AD route from the get go.

Good luck
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 07:11 AM   #36
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Shreve and Co in Palo Alto?
Yes.
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 01:21 AM   #37
SSGMT1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master
I have to ask since I am totally new to all of this. Are all luxury watch brands this crazy difficult to buy or is this process unique to Rolex? I get that the difficulty to obtain keeps the value high but damn.
SSGMT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 01:50 AM   #38
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGMT1 View Post
I have to ask since I am totally new to all of this. Are all luxury watch brands this crazy difficult to buy or is this process unique to Rolex? I get that the difficulty to obtain keeps the value high but damn.
No, just Rolex and some others. Definitely not all manufacturers.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 01:52 AM   #39
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting post and some good suggestions that involve patience and what can be described as luck or good fortune. Once again this is really a post about money. The difference between the AD price and what you would pay through a Trusted Seller. You are not buying a Grey Market watch. That is different than a watch that has been purchased by one of our sellers that originally came through an AD or customer as that is the only way you are getting a Rolex, unless it is stolen from Rolex. Why not go find the watch you want and see what the difference is between the TS price and retail with tax. Might be closer than you think. Call a few TS and see what they have to say. Respectfully negotiate, get your best price, pay and have the watch by lunch the next day. Start the ownership experience and enjoy. Simple if you will pay the market value of the watch. Good luck and let us know how you proceed.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 05:11 AM   #40
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Just go talk to them and be nice
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 05:20 AM   #41
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Where are you located

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 07:28 AM   #42
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:

Buy a watch because you like it, not to turn yourself out to an AD. Find a trusted seller here and get exactly what you want. It’s cheaper and quicker in the end.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 12:02 PM   #43
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
Go grey or wait
A nice four-word synopsis of the whole thread.

As noted above, if it's just one watch, then go grey. If you're looking to build a collection over time, you'll have to finesse your AD.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 05:57 PM   #44
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
In my opinion, to some extent, it will depend on the watch. If you want a Sub or a GMT, the reality is that you are going to have a tough time getting these from an AD. It's not impossible, but it's going to be hard, the LoE can be pretty substantial, and the timeframe to actually get it could be measured in years. There are not only a lot of people who want them, but a lot of people who will probably be prioritized over you if the main thing you are seeking is a single watch (I was in this situation myself.)

There are a lot of members here who (understandably) will not pay over retail. Many of these members have extremely well-established relationships, and some spend a lot of money at these dealers on not just Rolexes, but other items. ADs are going to often prioritize these individuals.

There are also a lot of individuals who will make other purchases in order to get the Rolex watches they want. Again, the AD is probably going to give these individuals priority, because they will net more on these customers (same situation as getting three offers on your house, and accepting the one that also makes a nice offer on the car you happen to be selling at the same time).

It's a very tough time to buy a Rolex at an AD. I ultimately went for a secondary dealer (it's not tough to find these watches there). Since I did, prices have already further increased.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 06:17 PM   #45
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Others may feel entirely differently, and so I want to stress this is simply my personal opinion.

If you like the Tudor, that is great, but IMHO and FWIW, if I was in your situation, I would personally go in with the assumption that buying the Tudor will have absolutely zero impact on my ability to source a high-demand Rolex from that AD.

There are simply too many factors at play, a major one being how much money others are willing to spend in order to get the same Rolex watch that you may be seeking.

Ultimately, these 'relationships' (whether with an AD or secondary dealer) are generally ones that are inherently transactional, and the AD/secondary dealer is generally going to prioritize whatever transactions will maximize their return.
Old 12 December 2021, 08:33 PM   #46
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Go "pre-owned" from a long term brick and mortar Rolex AD like https://www.radcliffejewelers.com
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 04:21 AM   #47
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Go "pre-owned" from a long term brick and mortar Rolex AD like https://www.radcliffejewelers.com
Outstanding place to buy from.
Old 13 December 2021, 06:00 AM   #48
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Keep showing up and talking watches; keep asking. That's the best way to do it. Ask for something you like but don't set your sites to high.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 03:30 PM   #49
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
Call every AD within driving distance. Then call every AD within a 1 day round trip flight’s distance. Then call every AD within an overnight stay’s flight distance. Eventually you will make a connection over the phone with someone. And if it costs you a $1500 plane ticket, you’re still saving thousands over gray market.

It’s what I did in late September on my quest to get a Sub ND. By the 1st week of October, I was wearing one. Even managed to get it shipped and avoided a flight.

Great strategy but What are you asking the ADs over the phone? ‘ hey you got a BLNR or Meteorite GMT I could get?’

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 04:58 PM   #50
lsck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post
Where are you located

Bay Area
Old 13 December 2021, 05:01 PM   #51
lsck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting post and some good suggestions that involve patience and what can be described as luck or good fortune. Once again this is really a post about money. The difference between the AD price and what you would pay through a Trusted Seller. You are not buying a Grey Market watch. That is different than a watch that has been purchased by one of our sellers that originally came through an AD or customer as that is the only way you are getting a Rolex, unless it is stolen from Rolex. Why not go find the watch you want and see what the difference is between the TS price and retail with tax. Might be closer than you think. Call a few TS and see what they have to say. Respectfully negotiate, get your best price, pay and have the watch by lunch the next day. Start the ownership experience and enjoy. Simple if you will pay the market value of the watch. Good luck and let us know how you proceed.
by trusted seller, you mean those listed in the exchange section of this forum?
Old 13 December 2021, 05:48 PM   #52
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Got in the watch community this year, currently, I own an Omega and IWC.

How do I even start building a relationship with an AD if they literally have 0 items for me to buy? I was looking at some Tudors in my local AD and even the tudors require a waitlist. I don't want to just buy some random watch that I don't like just to "be on the list".

Should I just go grey market at this point? Help a newbie out :(
just buy what they have in the display case, those day date with diamond bezel, lady datejust to start building relationship.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 07:27 PM   #53
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Go grey.

At this point in the market you’re so far behind the curve in how authorized dealers access Rolex eligibility for clients that you’ll just get dismissed and handled.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote