The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2017, 01:33 PM   #91
Dale.Cooper
"TRF" Member

North Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egelber View Post
It seems like most every where I go, I tend to look at watches in the wild. Why oh why do I just see the apple or fit bit style watches? And believe me, I live in a fairly upscale area in a northern suburb of DFW. Are most people wearing their luxury watches to the office only? I figured the goods would be out on the weekends, but I don't really see that here.
Hey Egelber,
I live in McKinney, in the Prosper ISD.
Want to have starbucks or something sometime?
Dale.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:05 PM   #92
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat465 View Post
My watch is worth more than my car.
Mine too,Cars are depreciating assests whereas my Watch has went up about 30% in the past Couple Years.With Watches they can sit in the safe for Years and come out just like You left them.....Cars not so much.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:17 PM   #93
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat465 View Post
My watch is worth more than my car.
Then you should get a better car! Just kidding.
happy Thanksgiving
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:19 PM   #94
Jedi5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I had a conversation with an Apple idolater. They were more or less taking the attitude that nothing else is on par. I didn't show them my watch because I don't think they'd be able to wrap their minds around a watch that is equal in value to 50 to 100 of theirs.

Anyone here also on macrumors?
There was a thread 24 pages long debating the AW vs Rolex.
I'll see if I can find it and link it here.

I'm the biggest Apple fanboy around but even I know better.
Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:34 PM   #95
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
When I think about the shortage of certain Rolex models in the West, the cultural predilection of the East for status objects (even more than the West, I'm thinking) and the burgeoning of the affluent Chinese 'middle class', I wonder what proportion of total Rolex production goes to China these days.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:40 PM   #96
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
^^^ Probably, quite a bit. Excellent market for Rolex.
Old 24 November 2017, 02:59 PM   #97
ardvarkshorty
"TRF" Member

Very Interesting observations .
The Apple 3 watch is great, and very useful when you are doing any exercise and don't want to take your phone.
How many people do you see with the Apple on one wrist and the Rolex on the other,i know it looks strange ,but they are great bed fellows
ardvarkshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 03:02 PM   #98
Seanken
Banned

No worry, "smart" whatever will disappear

into subdural and clothes embedded tech. The so callled cool stuff will get smaller and smaller. Eventually the wrist will again be empty or sport a very interesting, anachronistic mechanical watch.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 03:10 PM   #99
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstfirider View Post
Plenty of nice watches to be seen around Frisco/Prosper/McKinney :-)
Oh I'm sure they exist, but are you seeing them out in the wild?
Egelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 07:05 PM   #100
Switch
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Anyone here also on macrumors?
There was a thread 24 pages long debating the AW vs Rolex.
I'll see if I can find it and link it here.

I'm the biggest Apple fanboy around but even I know better.
Post the link, should be interesting to read.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 07:40 PM   #101
artschool
"TRF" Member

do you think that Rolex are anticipating a massive drop in the numbers of people interested in buying their watches and have decided to reduce numbers available and charge more?
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 09:58 PM   #102
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Of note, in this thread, are that a majority off observed Rolex sightings are at airports.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 11:08 PM   #103
Jedi5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Post the link, should be interesting to read.
Enjoy

AW vs Rolex
Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 11:54 PM   #104
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egelber View Post
Oh I'm sure they exist, but are you seeing them out in the wild?
I’m in Frisco and we have two independent, luxury watch only shops not far from me. I see a few nice watches around, but someone must be keeping these places in business. My wife works at The Star and when I meet her for lunch sometimes I will see quite a few nice pieces.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 12:13 AM   #105
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
I’m in Frisco and we have two independent, luxury watch only shops not far from me. I see a few nice watches around, but someone must be keeping these places in business. My wife works at The Star and when I meet her for lunch sometimes I will see quite a few nice pieces.
...and there is always a good turnout at events hosted by the independent watch shop in Frisco. Additionally, one of the independent shops in Frisco is moving to Legacy West in March and expanding, to include picking up several more respected brands.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 01:21 AM   #106
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
I live in Palm Beach County, Florida. I see many expensive watches all the time and more and more Apple watches lately. To each his own. There will always be a strong market for expensive mechanical watches because they are for many, a way of demonstrating wealth and status. Most folks will never, ever admit to this, and instead profess to admire the artistry of a mechanical timepiece. Uh...ok. Roll up in a complex Patek or RM and we'll talk about mechanical artistry.

People here really seem to overestimate the extent to which others notice or give a s&%t about your watch. I love the threads about those who strut into AD's expecting to be treated like royalty. Others who get horribly offended if someone dare mistakes their watch for a lesser brand. Those who worry how their date will perceive their Rolex.

Here's a thought for the older demographic, Rolex-worshiping folk with antiquated opinions set in concrete. That twenty-something you see in Starbucks sporting an Apple watch couldn't care less what your Rolex costs. He's not impressed. Not for a second. He's not your audience. He's not "wrapping his head" around how much your watch may cost. He is, perhaps, busy designing a new innovative web platform and may, just may, be far wealthier than you might ever imagine. He IS the future and the future is here now.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 01:51 AM   #107
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
Or he might be someone who will work as a barista the rest of his life. That's still good, honest work performing a service that people appreciate.

Every job has its own knowledge bank that is acquired over the years. Picking lettuce looks easy until you try to do it for 16 hours. Then you get an appreciation for someone else's job.

Wear a Rolex for yourself. I've wanted my Explorer since the 1960s and now that I have it, I couldn't care less if anyone notices. I did it for myself, not others. I have skin problems and wear long sleeves most of the time. No one even sees my watch. I don't care.
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 01:57 AM   #108
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWays View Post
Or he might be someone who will work as a barista the rest of his life. That's still good, honest work performing a service that people appreciate.

Every job has its own knowledge bank that is acquired over the years. Picking lettuce looks easy until you try to do it for 16 hours. Then you get an appreciation for someone else's job.

Wear a Rolex for yourself. I've wanted my Explorer since the 1960s and now that I have it, I couldn't care less if anyone notices. I did it for myself, not others. I have skin problems and wear long sleeves most of the time. No one even sees my watch. I don't care.

Wise words, totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 02:23 AM   #109
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
I bought my first Rolex because I'd always wanted "one of those expensive watch's" it'd show the world I'd made it. Since that time I've bought several more. Now that I'm older (lots) I buy them for 2 reasons.
1. A sense of accomplishment
2. To pass onto my Grandsons. One day with the story of the watch.

Richard B
36mm datejust, Custom Explorer, Pepsi, Hulk, yellow gold dd2
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 02:51 AM   #110
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvarkshorty View Post
How many people do you see with the Apple on one wrist and the Rolex on the other,i know it looks strange ,but they are great bed fellows
Despite the rapid rise of Rolex prices, I still see them primarily as a tool, so wearing a mechanical on one wrist and an Apple Watch on the other is a bridge too far, to me, since the Apple Watch also tells time (better, as a matter of fact.)

That’s like putting your favorite flat-6 engine in your Tesla’s trunk.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 07:42 AM   #111
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTX View Post
Could it be because the majority of them would not be able to tell time on an analog dial let alone figure out how to unscrew the crown in order to wind or set the date ?
My son has learned to tell time on an analog watch at 4 years old......but it's Lego, not Rolex.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 01:18 PM   #112
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
At least he's learned. So many I fear haven't.
Old 25 November 2017, 01:27 PM   #113
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Mine too,Cars are depreciating assests whereas my Watch has went up about 30% in the past Couple Years.With Watches they can sit in the safe for Years and come out just like You left them.....Cars not so much.
It depends on the car and the watch. If you bought a vintage 911 15 years ago, you'd be sitting pretty, too. Of course, we have no idea if watches will remain popular and valuable decades down the road.
Old 25 November 2017, 01:56 PM   #114
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
It depends on the car and the watch. If you bought a vintage 911 15 years ago, you'd be sitting pretty, too. Of course, we have no idea if watches will remain popular and valuable decades down the road.
Very True,Cars still fall apart when stored though.Leave a Car sit a few Years and be ready to spend a few grand just to get it back on the Road.The only way to have a big Car collection is if You are like Jay Leno,Infinite Money and have full time Mechanics to cycle through the Cars and drive/repair them.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 01:56 PM   #115
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Went to a wedding celebration tonight. There were several 20 somethings and all of them (incl two from San Jose CA) had on mechanical watches. Not a single iPhone, FitBit, etc. in site.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 02:15 PM   #116
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Very True,Cars still fall apart when stored though.Leave a Car sit a few Years and be ready to spend a few grand just to get it back on the Road.The only way to have a big Car collection is if You are like Jay Leno,Infinite Money and have full time Mechanics to cycle through the Cars and drive/repair them.
Yeah, although watches do still need upkeep. The bigger issue is desirability over the coming decades. I’m sure certain vintage watches and cars will remain desirable, but current model watches? I’m not so sure.
Old 25 November 2017, 10:07 PM   #117
T4ME
"TRF" Member

Recently was in a men's clothing store, the sales person was dressed in a suit with a smart watch on. The smart watch with the suit looked ridiculous and out of place. I have seen people with a fit bit and watch on but I believe we have too much tech invading our lives. The latest is the pill with Wi-Fi so the Doc can get an update on when you take your meds. I'll stick with a traditional watch and leave the toys where they belong. I've started my son with a traditional watch as A Man without a watch is a Man without a sense of time.
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote