The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2017, 02:14 PM   #31
floris
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II - Z
I was 27 and never had any remarks. As mentioned by others, most people won’t even notice.
floris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:24 PM   #32
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You've joined the right forum, we are all 25 here, whatever our real ages might be.

Ignore the haters. Don't be Touchie, be a Toughie.
This is the correct answer. I've been 25 for 10 years.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:30 PM   #33
Atomic4k
"TRF" Member

It's a watch, and you're into watches. Enough said...most people won't know or don't care. Unless they look at it and read the rolex and either think its fake or you're loaded or your Dad bought it for you....either way who cares?
Atomic4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:32 PM   #34
jets
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS724 View Post
I am 30 years old and I think I know how you are feeling. When I was 25, wet behind the ears, entering the corporate world, I was very conscious of what I wore due to the fact I did not want to upset/offend my superiors despite my enthusiasm when it came to sartorialism and horology. And to be quite honest, I did receive some negative reactions when I was wearing certain pieces. But fast forward to present day, I comfortable with what I wear, and most importantly I am more comfortable with myself. And I realized that it was more of an inward thing.

If you are hyper aware that you are wearing an expensive watch, you will exude that, whether it be in the form of discomfort, air of "doucheyness" or what have you. And people will pick up on that. We are pretty telepathic beings, humans. And your responses, in the event someone would comment, would/may display this.

But if you were inwardly comfortable and just enthusiastic about a nice watch, you can "own" it, even in the event someone throws a comment at you. You can really just say, "I love watches" and smile, and that would be the end of it. And you would be known as the "watch enthusiast" in the office
This.

I used to overthink it now I just don't care. There was only one time a can recall some friends got together and a guy a hadn't seen in a while noticed it and made a fuss about it. He was excited about it in a good way and I simply thanked the compliment and went on to diffuse the attention saying something like it's just a watch and etc.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:32 PM   #35
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Ahh im not to much older than you are. I owned a GMT iiC LN (long gone) at 23 and picked up the hobby again around 28 and bought a Z blue milgauss, TT Daytona 116503 and the GMT iiC BLNR. I am now 30 and honestly could careless what others think. Wear what makes you happy because life goes by really quickly and the last thing you should be worried about is what your peers think of you on what kind of watch you'll be rocking ;). Welcome to the forum!
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:38 PM   #36
Torque Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ 1601
Congrats on your pending graduation!! Get what you want, wear it, and be proud to be a member of the club. IF asked, be honest and tell person it was a gift from dad for finishing Master Degree. Honesty is best policy...then offer to let them see it.

Congrats again and welcome to TRF
Torque Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 06:00 PM   #37
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
First rolex

I had my first Rolex I was able to wear everywhere at 16. I wor one much earlier than for special occasions. Some will say I was spoiled but they don’t know me. I have been a hard worker and responsible. At 30 I was promoted to captain of one of the top billfish boats in the fleet. An owner doesn’t just hand over a $8m boat to someone he does t trust without a lot of thought. I worked with him for a year before I got the reins. If you feel comfortable wearing it and people give u crap I’d tell them what I told 45 and 50 year olds that were passed over when I be came captain. I won’t say exactly what it was but it was similar to they can go “blank” themselves. Sorry I’m 15-20 years younger and constantly out perform you. That’s what happens when you work hard. People will always be jealous. Don’t let it bother you. The only watch issues I’ve had was with a gold sub and in 08-09 I was told my DSSD was fake probably 10 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 06:06 PM   #38
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

some people may make a comment about it when you're not around. If you want to get them talking, buy an expensive car instead. Most people are completely ignorant about watches
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:11 PM   #39
PAS858
"TRF" Member

do a drop test, a scratch test and all the other stress tests that 20 somethings do. see if it gives off a blue tint if you look at the face at a certain angle 🤪
kidding aside, get it and enjoy it. what the others said are all true

PAS858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 08:10 AM   #40
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I doubt anyone really cares.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 10:18 AM   #41
whizz
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Last Master
Dont worry about the negative comments, its your money and you can do anything with your hard work. Apart from hobby, its also appreciation for any milestone in your life. I bought my first rolex subc back when I was 25 and keep collecting more watches now
Old 23 November 2017, 03:39 PM   #42
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
People get used to that you are the guy who wears a Rolex, it takes some time but eventually goes well. Just be diplomatic and do not boost their negative feelings :)

AirKing is very good choice!
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:43 PM   #43
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Get it to mark the occasion, who cares if someone notices.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:52 PM   #44
meganfox17
Banned

I'm 25 too....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 04:04 PM   #45
run23
"TRF" Member

First rolex

Likely no one will notice. I loved watches as a kid, and then got into them again about 15 years ago. I can honestly say that in my 20s I never noticed what watch anyone had (or at least the brand), ever.

If anyone does notice and you are just a regular guy that gets along with well with others, you’ll just be a guy with a nice watch. Of course if you’re a douche, you’ll be the ***hole with a Rolex (-;
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 01:19 AM   #46
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Absolutely, it's quickly turning into a hot watch. I think it's captivating. I want one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Told you I want an air king too. Bought one yesterday, I wasn't 100% ready but I couldn't pass on the deal

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 01:30 AM   #47
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchie View Post
However, it is very difficult to find people from my age who share the same passion for watches. Therefore, it might look a bit "odd" if you are the one standing out with the Rolex (if they notice as I am very restrained with it).

The question in short; is it justifiable to wear this time piece at the age of 25? And how would you address negative reactions and comments? Without doubt, I buy this watch for me, myself, and I, so not for another. In this case, I should not care, but I would like to get some more insights in the opinions.
That can happen even at an older age. At my jobs I don't recall seeing many Rolexes (the current boss has a Datejust tho) and most of my coworkers don't care about them.

I think with time, you'll start ignoring what other people think/say. You should only worry about them seeing/thinking about your watch if you're in an environment that isn't safe and might attract thieves.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 02:48 AM   #48
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Please, do not live your life for fear or concern what others may or may not think.

Get the watch, wear it, end enjoy it.
Agree with this for sure.
You've earned it! Now go get that watch and wear it well!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 05:25 AM   #49
crazyjazy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNYC View Post
I'm 23 now and I'm the only one in my inner circle who wears a Rolex. I do not care what others say about it. I wear it because I enjoy it and not to please them. Also most people won't even recognize that you're wearing a Rolex

My first Rolex was an Air King and only two people ever noticed it in 9 years. Very much an ‘under the radar’ model and I bought it for that reason.

crazyjazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 05:29 AM   #50
kinger282
"TRF" Member

I'm 25 and I bought my first Rolex at 24 upon finishing my masters degree too- an SD4K. I was very self-conscious about it around older crowds. I got many remarks such as, "Wearing your dad's watch today?". Funny thing is, my dad doesn't own a watch. At work, I did not want to give off the wrong impression so I never wore it there either (I still don't to this day, I opt to wear my Speedy or Tudor BBB). Outside of older crowds , no one has ever made comments about my Rolex. That said, I have learned to wear it with pride around older crowds now. It has become a beacon of my success at a young age that I smile at every time I see it. I hope they acknowledge it now so a conversation about watches can be ignited, regardless if they think my dad bought it for me or not.

With that said, I say you should wear it proudly. You'll be surprised at how it'll fly under the radar of most people (unless you are around people fond of watches). If you feel uncomfortable wearing it to work, that's fine. Some people do judge based on that. Best thing to say is, "I inherited it from my Grandfather when he passed away". They'll shut right up.
kinger282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 05:48 AM   #51
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I really think you should just go and get it. The sooner the better. Unfortunately nobody told me to do it when I was younger. Now the prices have gone up much and I wish I had bought more when I was younger and they were cheaper. In any case wear it because you enjoy wearing a beautiful piece that you like, regardless of what others think. Years down the road you will appreciate all the comments here and will be thankful that you did it sooner rather than later and was able to enjoy the watch for more years than if you had delayed the decision.
Beckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 05:50 AM   #52
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
And btw congrats on your new watch, in advance.
Beckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 06:28 AM   #53
Big Bill
"TRF" Member

Watch: DEEPSEA D-Blue
Congratulations on your degree. Most people will not notice your Rolex watch if you do get any negative comments from your inter circle it’s probably just jeliousiy. If you really want a Rolex and your father is behind it go for it. The only thing I would recommend is take a look and try on a Submariner. Good luck with your future looking forward to seeing you around the forum.
Old 26 November 2017, 07:22 AM   #54
Erycmrtn
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Please, do not live your life for fear or concern what others may or may not think.

Get the watch, wear it, end enjoy it.
Couldn't agree more!!!

Pursue your own happiness in life and do what makes you HAPPY!!!
Forget about the jealous haters and miserable trolls who have no joy in their own life.

Live life on your terms and follow your passions..........
best of luck to you and congrats on finishing school
Erycmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 10:37 AM   #55
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
I say who cares...live your life and enjoy your passion. Life is to short.
Old 26 November 2017, 10:45 AM   #56
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Nice choice. No one will know what the hell it is so don't worry.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 10:50 AM   #57
AndyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
If you enjoy and have a passion then by all means wear it. They are very special and just putting it on in the morning will give you extra pep in your step. Go for it!

AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote